GE/Jasco 45631 Keypad/Controller

So I have this puppy controlling an Innermatic HA01 (ZWave) outlet. Had a new garbage disposal installed, but no available switch. Went out on a limb and got the GE 45631 remote. Took a bit of doing, but now works flawlessly with the disposal switch. It made me feel instantly smarter.

So I got this new GE Link bulb. Been trying to figure out the best use for it, and that turns out to be in the lamp, above the sink (where the disposal is), and very near my four-button switch (of which I only use the first rocker switch for the disposal). This could turn an underused zwave controller into something awesome!

Damn GE bulbs are Zigbee. I had to read this forum/posting to figure this out, so thank you. soul crushing. So we arrive back at an earlier post where someone lamented that this deviceā€™s firmware may never be functional to work with ST in any meaningful way.

Does make we want Aeon Labs to finally drop their zwave LED bulb. For something that was supposed to arrive in March of 2014, I would love to know the insider story of what is actually taking so long. Is this rocket science? Maybe it isā€¦

Cheers,

Rob

2 Likes

Youā€™re going to find more and more HA devices (and light bulbs) to be Zigbee, so gotta adapt.
SmartThingsā€™ is becoming significantly more robust with Hub v2.0, and that will also include Bluetooth (for even more cross-vendor support).

I love my GE remote too, but am quite happy that finally there are SmartThings compatible remotes available like the Aeon Minimote (I have 4 of those so far).

Does this thread mean to say this GE 45631 is itself a primary controller such that it can connect directly with other z-wave switches/relays without a hub?

Thanks @jdroberts, but this thread is about the wall mounted key pad. Is that a primary controller to directly connect to a z-wave switch or relay? (for my question, forget about SmartThings)

Sorry, my bad I was thinking of the 30 model. The 31 is a wall mount secondary controller, it has to be used with a primary controller, it canā€™t set up a network on its own.

Huhā€¦ I thought this could act as a primary, but yeah, itā€™s pretty clear right there in the manual you linked that itā€™s a secondary only.

Now, it is worth nothing that a secondary can work even if the primary is ā€œoffline.ā€ You just canā€™t setup your network of z-wave devices with the secondary.

2 Likes

Create or adding a device to a group or create or adding a device to a scene. This is what worked for me in adding my GE Smart Dimmer Switches to this controller.

In the instructions, step number 5. in both cases states to ā€œpress and release the button on the device you wish to addā€.

1. I started with the light switch on
  2. Completed steps 1-4.
  3. On step 5, I switched the light off from the physical wall switch. (I mistakenly was using the pair switch in this step and it never worked)

When I switched the light off, the green led flashed twice and I was able to control the dimmer switch with the button assigned.

This was using the Add Group instructions. I did not try the Add scene.

I now can control my 4 GE Smart Dimmers with this device. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It works fine in a configuration with ST. Add Scene is the key to making it work best, with dimmer control over each light.
Hereā€™s how to make it work for Z-wave dimmer control: GE 45631 stick-up controller works fine with Z-Wave dimmers - hereā€™s howā€¦

When you say node, are you talking about the device network id or just the order in which devices were added? If the latter, is it the first 32 Z-Wave devices or any device? If both of those, is there any way to re-order the devices?

For reference; I have 42 total devices, only 19 of which are Z-Wave. Some devices are virtual switches. I just added a new Z-Wave outlet and am trying to add it to the 45631. The device network id is 25.

Thanks much.

For the life of me I canā€™t get the GE 45631 to add any devices to groups or scenes. The only time I have ever seen the green confirmation led blink is when I have included or excluded the GE 45631 from my hub.

I have confirmed that all of my devices have a node ID less than 32. In fact the highest device I have is 17.

I see that the GE 45631 has been added to my hub as a Z-Wave Remote. I have tried both GE dimmers and Aeon dimmers with no results.

Here are the steps I am following:

1. press the add+remove until I see two org blinks
  2. press add
  3. press group
  4. press the up arrow (on) of the button I want
  5. toggle the physical switch of the device. I have tried off to on as well as on to off

At this point I would expect green lights for good pairing but instead the org blinking just eventually times out. I have tried holding the GE next to the hub as well as next to the switch. Still nothing. Can anyone toss me a bone on this one?

1 Like

GE 45631 (as well as 45600 and 45601) is a really old device and may not be compatible with some newer Z-Wave switches. I have a similar (and old) Intermatic HA07 controller and itā€™s been working perfectly with the old switches and dimmers. But since Iā€™ve upgraded a bunch of switches to newer Linear WD500Z-1 dimmers, I can no longer include them into HA07.

Wow, that is really disappointing. I havenā€™t found any replacement item quite like this one. I am using the older v1 hub. I was curious if the problem may have been during the ā€œreplicationā€ step. The green light comes on immediately after I add the remote to the hub but it is hard to tell if the replication was successful or not. I wonder if a v2 hub would make any difference. Up until now I hadnā€™t seen any real advantages to upgrade to it.

Do you know of any other products that will fit in a single gang receptacle like this one but works with newer devices? Ideally it wouldnā€™t require batteries since i have 110VAC available to power it all of the time.

@mariley it may be that you are trying to use it with devices that have a Device ID beyond 32. I have exactly the same issue. It looks like it pairs with the device but then wonā€™t control it. I have a ticket into support to see if I can re-use the first 32 device ID numbers because I donā€™t having anything assigned to them. I removed them at one point and when I re-added them they went to higher ID numbers The ST hub doesnā€™t reuse lower numbers when available until it runs out of numbers then it starts the numbering string again from what I understand.

He mentions that it shows the pairing code just as if everything is normal. That is what I get as well. My problem was that when I set up my hub I didnā€™t know about the 32 limit so I paired it with one switch, made sure it controlled it, threw it in my parts bin and didnā€™t try to add it until I reached the room I wanted it in. By then I was well past the device ID of 32ā€¦ So even though I know it works, and have removed the devices below 32 and re-paired them and they were assigned beyond that range, I still canā€™t reuse the original 32 device IDā€™s it needsā€¦

That is what Iā€™m hoping support can help me with. As of right now I have a perfectly good controller, open Device IDs below 32, a good ST hub and no way to make them work togetherā€¦ All because I didnā€™t set it up firstā€¦

You might try a Enerwave ZWN-SC7-W Z-Wave Wireless 7-Button Scene Controller. If I canā€™t get my 45631 working Iā€™m going to try one as a replacement. http://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZWN-SC7-W-Wireless-Controller-Frequency/dp/B00RY4LP5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1455031715&sr=1-1&refinements=p_89%3AEnerwave

Here is where I am having trouble. I am trying to pair with a device I know will work, as I have another one that works fine. The ā€œDevice Network IDā€ is 25. I donā€™t think I have installed more than 32 Z-Wave devices in-all, but I may have. Some have been removed, so itā€™s possible. I do have more than 32 devices total, but not all of them are Z-wave.

So my question is, are talking about what SmartThings displays as the ā€œDevice Network IDā€ or is it any device connected after the 32nd?

If youā€™re look in the IDE, it shows Network ID in Hex, so 25 hex is 37 decimal.

Thereā€™s nothing support can do about it. The IDā€™s are assigned by the Z-Wave controller chip automatically. The only thing you can do is to reset your Z-Wave network and start all over again.

HA! Thank you. I had no idea that it was in hex. I just went and looked over a couple of other IDs and sure enoughā€¦

Thanks so much! At least I get it now.

FYI: I just changed one in IDE. I donā€™t know if I was reusing an ID, I just picked on that I was not currently using. I donā€™t know if there is a way to find out ID that are no longer in use.

Anyway, I will have to test it when I get home this afternoon. If that works then we have a solution. If it doesā€™t work I may have bricked a device. Either way, I will post my findings.

Iā€™d be very surprised if it worked. The node ID is stored in the device firmware when itā€™s included in the network and changing it in the IDE is not going to assign a new ID to the device. So, most likely, you wonā€™t be able communicate with it.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. I suspected as much but now I know for sure.

Good news is; I was able to change it back and it is functioning normally. No bricking today.

Not only can you change it back. You can just exclude it and re-pair it and it will be assigned a new Device ID. Ask me how I know lolā€¦