GE Ceiling Fan Switch Custom Device Type - Low, Med, High buttons w/no slider!

Fair enough John. The problem doesn’t happen all the time. It’s random in my case. I guess I’ll report it in to ST on the devices I’m using stock handlers on.

Thanks.

Ah, ok interesting. I’ll watch mine for a while. Out of curiosity, what does the device’s event log show for “level” when you click on that current state link?

If I understand your question correctly, it shows the incorrect level. I’ll se if I can capture a few examples. Might take a bit because as I mentioned it’s a random thing.

Click on this:

Since I hardly ever change the setting away from Low, I have no values:

Here’s one that I just changed:

I’m hoping that somehow your level changes are being captured (unless they’re more than 7 days apart)

I found one.

I believe this ‘on’ was phantom:

Curiously, looking at my kitchen fan (has Chad’s DTH), it is one of those deals we went back and forth on some time back where there are tons of ‘off’ events in the event history yet no one is touching the device nor is any SmartApp. We had this on stock handlers too. May be unrelated but that ‘on’ above is phantom.

Ok, now that’s interesting. I have no idea why that device would be reporting DEVICE physical events like that all the time. That’s odd.

Here’s how a stock dimmer device should normally report events:

And another with the GE fan DTH:

Do you have some type of polling app running like Pollster or Simple Device Viewer?

Hmmm, yes, I have Simple Device Viewer. I’ll see if removing the devices from there helps.

Doesn’t the device keep the percentage so that it remembers the level the device was at before it was shut off?

Yes it does.

@nezmo, how are your devices doing? All mine have still been fine.

I haven’t had much time to look lately but I will report back when I have.

Thx John.

1 Like

I finally got back to looking at this. While I do have Simple Device Viewer installed I don’t have any of the offending devices configured in it so that does not seem to be the issue.

I’m still searching for common threads. I continue to see off commands over and over on some devices (maybe Chad’s handler - don’t know yet) and incorrect level settings on others while off which as I’ve mentioned, happens even on devices with stock handlers.

If I determine anything I’ll report back.

1 Like

What device handlers are you all using for your fans these days? I have jscgs350 : GE Fan Control Switch still, and notice that when the fan is on low 33% it still reports it as “high” in ST app. It’s just a label. Functionality is still fine. But if there’s a better one out there, or an update to this one, I’d appreciate your replies. Thanks!

I posted this on another forum too:

Okay, I found that if I just explicitly set the low, medium, high settings to 30, 65, 99 in my case, it shows up as low, medium, or high properly. So no need to change my handler after all. But still interested if you all found a better one for whatever reason.

One odd observation: I see my one fan on the same circuit will be at medium speed if I set medium to 67, while the other is clearly on high at 67. Hence why I backed off the settings slightly, 30 instead of 33 for low, 65 instead of 67 for medium. Now the two fans match at low, medium, high.

Here is the ink for the DTH I wrote for fan with levels. It allows you to set custom values for the levels and exposed the low/medium/high to webCore:

Patrick

The one thing I would ask is that you include some sort of version / unique identifier info in the setup screen to make it easier to identify when a change has been made ro source. I know I forget which DTH I’ve loaded short of going into the IDE and looking

Thanks, but I haven’t updated in a very long time. Next update I will add.

Patrick thanks for your contribution here. Been tinkering with yours for a few days. Sometimes the app doesn’t match with what the fan is doing however, and when making changes at the physical switch doesn’t always show the correct speed on the app. However I’m in the early stages of tinkering and I’m not quite sure what to set the percents to.

Also there are two versions it seems in this thread, yours and the original. What are the main differences? I’m using webcore with yours, is that why you wrote it?

Any plans to update it?

@mismarthome I have not experienced the issues you are suggesting. The main difference from the original one ad the one I built is the UI as well as the ability to set your own values for low/medium/high as they were hard coded previously and yes I added the code for use with WebCore.

Hey thanks for this device handler. It’s great! I was looking in to tweaking this to support setting the threshold for high to 100%. Is there a reason why? It’s a bit awkward in homebridge/homekit because we can’t.

@leblaaanc if your using the original one I don’t believe he built it with that, if you use the one I posted it provides the ability to set each level.