GE 45600 Handheld Remote as SmartThings Scene Controller (Edited: Does not work!)

I can only get the scene button to transmit when I load a light or 2 up to the remote button (Hold Setup till both led’s flash, Press Add, Scene, both led’s flashing, press noted light switch, remote flashes, then goes back to continuous flashing, keep adding lights to your scene, when down press the Scene button and led’s stop flashing, now remote controls all the lights setup in the scene, but still can not get the assigned items in the button app to respond to the scene button being pressed, although it is logging the activity of the items in the assigned scene going on off. Also, I thought 9 buttons were going to work, the button app only allows me to assign 4?

I thought once I got a scene loaded in a button, i could remove all lights assigned to it, then it would still flash and send to ST, but after removing assigned lights, then remote scene button no longer works.

@tgauchat sounds great, but did you get your remote to respond to buttons 1-4 as setup with the new device type created by @geko?

EPIC!. I will try this tonight!

That’s because the app was written specifically for Aeon Labs Minimote which only has 4 buttons. It’s not that hard to change the app though.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I currently use groups on my remote to control lights, but I don’t have lights or scenes setup. The only way I can get the LED to light up on the remote is to create a scene locally on the remote, but SmartThings still doesn’t see the event. Adding a light in light mode, doesn’t make a difference either. I have the same problem with 2 remotes…

Can you explain what you mean by this? I tried putting SmartThings in include mode and using code 9662 to copy network info, but the remote didn’t seem to do anything.

I haven’t dug up my GE Remote(s) yet (I have two of them… one with LCD, one without).
So haven’t done any testing … just assuming that the magic of SmartThings will make it work :smile:

I’ll post here once I’ve actually tested myself; but feel free to post your own results and/or private message me with questions or results.

Some debugging may be in order :wink:
Could you uncomment line 56 in the device handler:

log.debug "parse(${description})"

and see if you can get any response in the logs when you push buttons?

9662 will put the remote into receive mode to get updated zwave network info from the primary (ST Hub), I can get the remote in that mode (flashing ready to recv), but there is not option to have ST resend the info, I’m hoping it will update the remote with the scene data…

They is a few zwave utilities buried in the app, but none labeled as such… Hit the top left menu button in the App, then the Setup wheel in the top right, slide down and pick your hub, the you will see the z-wave utilities…

Tried it, no diff.

How is that going to get the remote to transmit, still no led from the remote when a button is pressed?

I was referring to this, i.e. when the remote does transmit:

I’m having the same issue as @notoriousbdg

I will try to backtrace over the weekend what I did with the remote. It may be that I’m missing some step. But what’s important is that I got it to work somehow. Now it’s just a matter of figuring out what I did. Patience please :smile:

1 Like

I made the change, and still no events and nothing in the logs. I think the key part is that the LED aren’t lighting up when pressing a scene button on the remote. I suspect that there is something that needs to be done on the remote. I’ll read through the remote doc again to see if there is anything else that jumps out at me as something to try.

When you press a scene button on the remote that is not setup in SmartThings, do any of the LED light up on your remote and do you get events for them too?

Yes, all 9 buttons on my remote generate Z-Wave commands which are translated to button events by the device handler. I can see them in the device Activity view, as noted previously.

GE45600
Button 2 Was Pushed                    11:45 AM

GE45600
Button 1 Was Pushed                    11:45 AM

Since no one else was able to get it to work so far, I guess I did something to the remote while working on the device handler that enabled it to send these commands. I’ll need to recreate that sequence somehow.

GE45600 scene control:

http://wiki.jatomes.com/zwave:45600scene

I’m more than happy to help if you need me to test anything.

I removed the comment from line 56, but still get no events at all. There must be something else that has to be done to the remote.

@geko you are so going to get 30$ bill your way as soon as I locate your address. I ordered two of these from Amazon as soon as you blew your lungs out of your mouth! ;( we love you though! :slight_smile:

How 'bout if I get it to work, you’ll get a $30 bill? :smile:

1 Like

Sure will if missus can use it. :wink: