Garage door open-ness detection alert?

I had this general strategy working for a while, with a ST hub and an EcoLink garage door sensor. It would text me if I left the door open, at 1, 5, and 10 minutes. It worked pretty well (though I don’t recall exactly how I set it up in the old app.)

Only problem was that the EcoLink sensor slowly went bad, to the point where I was getting mostly false positives. In the interest of making the system more reliable I decided to switch to a ST Multi sensor and use the tilt sensor part of the Multi.

Unfortunately, I “upgraded” to the new version of the Android app. I also deleted all the old SmartApps I was using to drive the reminders, because I couldn’t figure out how to delete the EcoLink sensor from the system without deleting the SmartApps. But, with the new app I can’t figure out how to do what I did last time, and after reading some forum posts out there, I’m not even sure it’s possible-- I have the impression this usage case might not be possible anymore in the new version of the app. Am I missing something-- is there still a way to do this? If so, how?

Thanks for any elucidation!

You can use Smart Home Monitor (SHM) to notify you if a door is left open for too long. Within SHM, add a Custom Monitoring Rule. I use it for all of my doors, but I have never tried it with a MultiSensor’s 3-axis position sensor. I have always used more traditional magnetic contact sensors. Not saying it can’t be done, just not sure about the special use case for your Multi…

Dan

I have not been able to get this to work. (Well, I think it worked once or twice when I first set it up.)

I have a Liner GoControl device connected to my garage door opener with tilt sensor on the door. I installed and setup an app that closes my garage door after being open for more than 15 minutes unless in a new mode I created called “working in the garage.” That automation works without problem. However, I also would like to get an alert after the door has been open for 13-minutes letting me know the door is about to close in two minutes.

This is what I did:

1. Smart Home Monitor
  2. Menu > Setup
  3. Custom > New Monitoring Rule
  4. “What kind of device…?” > + > Open/Close Sensor
  5. "Select device(s) > + > check box for garage door > Done
  6. “What do you want to monitor?” > moved slide for “Sensor opens” > “For how long? (Minutes)” > typed “13” > “More options - Only when Mode is” > + > checked boxes for “Away” “Home” and “Night”> Done > Next
  7. “Set up what should happen when we detect an event.” “Alarm & Notifications” “Text & Push Notifications” >
  8. “Text & Push Notifications” “Users & Notifications” “Send push notifications” > slide button "Phone number? > entered my phone number > “Custom message” > typed “Garage door closing in 2 minutes!” > Done
  9. Next
  10. Named the rule > Done

Can you please tell me what I’m doing wrong? Or if there is a different way to do this that works?

thankx

(w).

1 Like

Looks like you’re doing everything correctly. You may want to submit a support ticket.

Smart Home Monitor hasn’t been 100% reliable for me yet. I still will get a false alarm that a door has been left open for too long once in a while. It still seems to properly notify me for real events though.

Wish I could be more help.

Maybe you could look at one of the community developed “Rules Engines” which will probably let you do something similar. I haven’t tried them yet though.

Thankx Dan. I’ll submit a support ticket and see. I’ve only done that once before, and they were very responsive.

Cheers

(w).

I have the same issue. I had a smart app installed from my V1 hub which remained when I switched to my V2 because I was an early adopter before they removed the V1 smart apps which were SO much better.

Today I did a stupid thing, my Garage door didn’t report open so I deleted the smart app and tried to re-install it. Only to find the version I had no longer exists.

The version I had was so simple.

1. Select Garage Door
  2. select notification type (push,txt,etc)
  3. select amount of time if left open to report (in my case 5min)
    DONE

The new version is confusing. "What do you want to monitor?"
Sensor Opens
Sensor Closes
For how long ?

It’s not intuitive, does for how long mean

1. Notify me if left open longer than “for how long”
  2. notify me every “for how long” minutes
  3. only report “for how long” minutes then stop reporting

I have no clue what the app is supposed to do so I am not sure if when I configure it the correct actions will be taken.

I think it’s time to dig up the smart app code from the past and re-install it as a custom app, which of course Smart Things support will not “support” because it is custom. But honestly every device and app on my system is custom because ST does a terrible job designing their apps. One more of the many frustrations of being a SmartThings customer.

If anyone has the old smart app code please let me know !

Include me in the old source distribution

February 2016. Hub v2. Here’s what I use. Go to Smartthings marketplace tab, then go to energy management
, then select the “something left open” app.

3 Likes

I also use this and it works well for the intended purpose.

I’ve been trying to accomplish this for a while, too, but I’m really looking for it to notify me only if I leave the house and the garage door is open. I have ST set to automatically change my mode to ‘Away’ when my phone leaves my geofence. And I’ve set up Tim’s ‘Is My Home Secure?’ SmartApp, but after testing it today I just can’t get it to notify me that the garage door has been left open.

I’m surprised there isn’t a bigger need for this specific functionality in the community. Wouldn’t everyone want to know if they left one of their doors open when they left the house? Telling me it’s been open for 15 minutes doesn’t really do me much good because I spend a lot of time with the garage door open. Telling me it’s still open when I’ve left the house is much more useful…for me, anyway.

I use “something left open”. When you set it up you can say “Only for certain mode” and select your Away mode.

Personally I like to be alerted even when home because I don’t want to leave it open all night when I am sleeping and actually I always keep it closed anyway. Easy to ignore if I am outside and know it’s open.