First Alert Zsmoke

Wait I am confused, why do all smoke detectors have to be connected together?

Smoke detectors are very loud!

When I moved into the house there were already a couple of battery powered detectors and one plugged into power, none zwave or automated.

I then added a couple of the zwave first alert detectors.

BRK Relay Module - Activates Auxuliary Warning Devices - For Use with BRK and First Alert Smoke Alarms***BACKORDERED UNTIL 12/29/16***

If you want to write a real dumb sensor into a zwave module. There’s a write-up on here somewhere.

Please provide some documentation/proof of this. No offense intended, but that sounds like total BS.

Look at the link @TMiller posted above, specifically this excerpt:

“The alarm supports one association group with up to 1 node, and sends its alarms to that group. The alarm supports configuration parameter #1, which has a size of 1, a default value of 0, and when set to 1 causes the device to send double alarm messages.”

I take that to mean the device only has one trigger, either co or smoke would set it off one would assume. If this isn’t the case, I too would be surprised.

Here’s the other thread where we’ve discussed this:

I would like to add that the value to be in addition to the battery status is which alarm is signaling ‘low battery’.

You mean for the Nest or the Zwave Combo?

The ones I linked use AA’s, I have a ton of Eneloop’s ready for everyday use, so when one beeps low, I just go swap all at once. That’s one device I’m always aware when it needs to be changed. 2am wake-up call! :slight_smile:

Is this a serious question? If you live in a multi-story home (like mine), the detector in my basement, family room, sunroom or garage could wail away all night and we would never hear them upstairs with a TV/radio on, or if we were asleep. Without interconnection, any fire could be well underway before a detector went off upstairs.

1 Like

OK… I made a stupid error by returning the Zsmoke/Zcombos without removing them from the Smartthings hub first. Now they won’t go away… even when trying to “Force Remove” from the Things tab. The app says they’ve been successfully removed, but they still show up.

How do I remove a device that is no longer available?

Thank you!

There is an exception provided for existing houses as opposed to new construction:

Existing Houses(IRC R314.3.1)
Alarms are required for any addition or repair work requiring a building permit, except exterior surface work
such as re-roofing. Alarms must be interconnected and hard wired. Exception: Alarms will not be required
to be interconnected and hard wired where the permit work does not require the removal of interior wall or
ceiling finishes unless there is an attic, crawlspace, or basement available where access is provided

I have purchased two of the First Alert Zsmoke detectors (not the combo, just smoke).
Bought one right away after getting my ST and a 2nd about 2-months later.
Appeared to work OK at first but after being installed for five months I have gotten false alarms three times.
The one unit did it twice about two weeks apart. Luckily we were home both times.
Not cooking or making any dust. The third time it was the other unit and worse no one was home.
I cleared the alarm in the ST app but five minutes it did it again. I had to leave work only to find out it was another false alarm. I might add the HVAC unit was not running.

Anyone else getting false alarms from their Zsmoke connect to Smartthings?

I have had a couple of ZCombo for a couple of months now. No problem so far.

I pulled both of my out of service until I can figure this one out. Thanks

Yeah, I get false alarms on my ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO detectors. Just got one about 10 minutes ago, both my wife and me are at work, luckily I have cameras that cover all the areas where the smoke detectors are and could check on it remotely.

That’s happened to me twice with a zcombo. I replaced the troublesome device and it hasn’t happened since.

I had it happen a couple of times with my Zcombo also. It occurred during the same period when I was having problems with Zigbee devices going off-line. Both problems disappeared when I changed wi-fi channels to clear any interference from the router.

Since the zsmoke and zcombo are z-wave devices, which run on a different frequency, chances are that was a coincidence.

Could be…much like all the presence issues many people report, there are too many moving parts to be sure of anything.

1 Like