Fibaro Flood Sensor

I recently got three Fibaro Flood Sensors. They are detected by the SmartThings hub as generic “Z-Wave Sensor”. When dipped in water, they show in SmartThings as “active”, and when pulled out of water, they show as “inactive”. They also report battery status percentage. So they’re paired and reporting.

However, when they’re typed as a generic “Z-Wave sensor”, no SmartApps are marked as compatible with them, so I can’t get a SmartApp to send alerts when a water leak is detected.

If I retyped them in the IDE as an “Everspring Water Sensor” or “SmartSense Moisture Sensor” they are compatible with SmartApps such as “Notify Me When” and “Flood Alert”, but then then the device never reports water detection, so the SmartApp never fires.

Seems there needs to be a device type for the Fibaro Flood Sensor that will properly report as a water sensor. Anyone got one of these working?

Have you tried going in the Dashboard under Damage & Danger then click on Leaks and Floods? See if that will find your device. I haven’t setup any apps I only use the Dashboard for notifications of all my devices.

It’s the same deal. If it’s typed as a generic “Z-Wave Sensor”, it can’t be added to the Damage & Danger section. If it’s typed as one of the moisture sensors, it can be added to Damage & Danger, but then the sensor never trips events.

Have you tried creating your own device type, using “Z-Wave Sensor” for the source code (via the Device Type Examples drop down), and selecting “Water Sensor” capability when you first create it?

I’m pretty sure if you did that (making sure to select that capability - last on the list), it will work the way you want.

If you’re not comfortable creating one of your own, try emailing support@smartthings.com to help. They may be able to help you out too.

I opened up a support ticket with SmartThings, and Andrew Urman got the device typing all taken care of. Now, if you add a Fibaro Flood Sensor to the SmartThings hub, it will be properly paired as a water sensor, and will report it’s battery percentage.

1 Like

What device type do you use for this. I tried the Z-Wave Water Sensor among others without success.

@urman I noticed this is an officially supported device but it did not auto-detect.

It used to pair correctly, but something must have been added to the z-wave fingerprint of the generic sensor to make it match.

Do you have it paired right now? Is the MSR data on the device page? Actually everything in the Data: section would be good to know.

@urman
Does this help:

Name Z-Wave Sensor
Label Water Softner
Type Z-Wave Sensor
Version Published
Device Network Id 74
Status ACTIVE
Hub Home
Group Utility Room
Last Activity At 2014-10-30 5:18 PM UTC
Date Created 2014-10-30 5:04 PM UTC
Last Updated 2014-11-04 8:54 AM UTC
Data No data found for device
Raw Description 0 0 0xA102 0 0 0 a 0x30 0x9C 0x60 0x85 0x8E 0x72 0x70 0x86 0x80 0x84
Current States No states found
Events List Events
In Use By SmartApps

Anymore on getting the Fibaro to work?

I posted the device code s little over a month ago. You can find the code and the thread at:
FIbaro Flood Sensor Pre-Release

The Fibaro Flood Sensor allows you to add wires for an external probe. Does anyone know if the probes on the bottom on the unit still act as detectors if an external probe has been added? That is, if I put the unit on the floor near my hot water heater and run a wire for an external probe to the washing machine in another part of the basement, will water at either location trigger a warning? Extending this thought, are the terminals for the external probe large enough to support multiple wires so you could have external probes extending to multiple locations?

Answering my own questions in case anyone else is interested… I spoke to Fibaro tech support. When external probes are attached the probes on the bottom of the unit are still active, so a water detection at either location will trigger an alarm. Armed with this info and a couple coupons reducing the price by 20%, I purchased one. The terminals are pretty small. I’ve used 18/2 thermostat wire and it would be difficult to get two leads in the terminal, but it would be fairly easy to create a junction box coming off a single wire from the terminal if I wanted to branch multiple external probes.

It was also very easy to repurpose an old 12V power supply to provide continuous power. Next step is to drill holes in the cover to accommodate the wires, set it up in the basement, and have it control the water valve (tests successfully turned off a light). I’m not sure I trust the reading from the temperature sensor. It seems high.

I am using the FGFS-101 Flood Sensor with the SmartThings v2 Hub.

I was able to link your FGFS-101 sensor to the SmartThings v2 Hub without difficulty. (Although, I got a message saying that it FAILED to complete the network security exchange.)

Despite the warning above, the FGFS-101 Flood Sensor is correctly reporting what condition the sensor is in to my iPhone within a few seconds of getting wet. But in reading through the FGFS-101 manual there are various parameters that can be set on the FGFS-101 Flood Sensor that I seem to be incapable of performing on my iPhone utilizing the SmartThings Hub. Is this correct?

I don’t see any method of performing the various configurations described on page 12 and later in the owners manual.

Hi!

I am using a Copper Foil Tape with conductive adhesive as an external probe, and it works perfectly.
I will try to attach pictures to show how it looks like