Feature Request: Wait xxx seconds then on Routine Actions

I could have used this on a few routines I have where if the conditions were met, something would happen for x number of seconds then do another action after that. Again, in my porch light routine, if motion happens, turn brightness to 100%, wait 5 minutes, then turn back down to 10%.

1 Like

You’ll need two routines and to add a virtual momentary button with auto-revert set to 5 mins.

If “motion happens”
then
Turn porch light on at 100%
and
Turn on Virtual button

If Virtual button turns off
then
Set porch light to 10%

2 Likes

Waiting for seconds (less than one minute) is extremely difficult to do on mesh networks, like Z wave, Zigbee, and thread, because these networks do not guarantee sequencing.

The smartthings documentation used to tell you not to try to schedule anything at less than one minute intervals: I don’t know if it still says that or not.

You can always try it and see what happens, but it’s the sort of thing that might work one time and then not work the next, just depending on how busy the network is, and what paths the messages take.

I’m sure other people will give you suggestions for how to create automations that can stairstep or daisychain and give you the same kind of result of your going for minute intervals. But intervals measured in seconds are just always going to be iffy with these protocols. :thinking:

2 Likes