Favorite to change light temperature, brightness and hue?

I have recently added two Philips Hue bulbs (and a hub). I had been using a couple of Cree bulbs that could only be dimmed. I had setup 4 favorites that set my bulbs to various brightness levels so that I could adjust them at will. Now, I want to be able to adjust the light temperature and hue in addition to the brightness. How do I do that? To be clear: I want to be able to do this from favorites so that I can just open the app and press what I want without much hassle.

At present there is no way to do this with the official features, although there is a beta in progress that may eventually add this option.

If you don’t want to wait, You can do this by creating a virtual switch to act as the widget and then having a web core piston that does all the settings and activates when that virtual switch is turned on.

Alternatively, if it’s only hue devices attached to the hue bridge, you can create a Hue scene with all the settings you want and then turn that on through IFTTT and again, a virtual switch.

The IFTTT method is a little easier to set up, but might add some additional lag, that just varies from house to house.

So you can do it now, but it depends on how much work you want to do to get it set up.

1 Like

Also, feel free to completely ignore the rest of this post because no one cares about this but me, but I’m assuming that you meant the hue bridge. There is no hue hub device. :wink:

Scenes (still in Beta only, but seems pretty close to the “ready”) can do this easily and us only 2 extra tap from the SmartThings App dashboard home screen.

ActionTiles will also be able to Activate Scenes with a single tap.

If you don’t want to wait, You can do this by creating a virtual switch to act as the widget and then having a web core piston that does all the settings and activates when that virtual switch is turned on.

Alternatively, if it’s only hue devices attached to the hue bridge, you can create a Hue scene with all the settings you want and then turn that on through IFTTT and again, a virtual switch.

The IFTTT method is a little easier to set up, but might add some additional lag, that just varies from house to house.

I don’t know what most of that means.

Are you saying this feature would not satisfy my requirement to simply open the app and press a button on the opening page?

We don’t know yet if Scenes can be placed as Favorites.

Can Routines? If so, then Scenes + a trivial cover Routine for each Scene will be perfect for you.

2 Likes

No problem.

First, The easier one.

Optiion 1: use IFTTT to trigger a Hue scene

IFTTT if a free service, “If this, then that” which let you set up “applets” so that you can have an event on one service/device trigger an event on a different one, even if the two don’t have an official integration.

Smartthings has an IFTTT service, and so does Phillips hue. So you could have, for example, a switch turning on in smartthings as the “if” and a scene that you created with the Phillips hue app as the “that.” That way whenever the switch turns on, the scene will run. That give you your color and color temperature.

And to make things even better, smartthings allows you to create a “virtual switch” which doesn’t exist as a real physical switch, but which will show up on your things list and can be used in any of the SmartThings automations just like any other switch.

So you would end up with a virtual switch on your things list and tapping it in the app would then cause that Hue Scene to run.

Here’s the FAQ on creating a virtual device:

And here’s more information about IFTTT:

https://ifttt.com/blog/2017/05/how-to-build-an-applet

Option 2: WebCore

If you don’t want to have to build a scene in the hue app and use IFTTT, but you would rather do everything just with SmartThings, you can, using a community built rules engine called webcore. Getting it set up is a little complicated, but there are many community members Who would be glad to help.

Here again you will probably end up creating a virtual switch to add into your things list so that you can just press that icon and then have everything else happen that you want to have happen.

So both of these will work, and the end result will be the same: a single device icon in your list of devices that you can then use to trigger a specific group of settings for multiple bulbs. But they both take some work to set up.

That’s why I said you might just want to wait until this option is available through the official features, because it’s in beta now.

Scenes now part of the official features. :sunglasses: See if this will do what you want, I haven’t checked all the details.

1 Like

I just saw the Scenes update this evening. It’s pretty much perfect. The only thing that would make it better is being able to type in a light temperature instead of using the inaccurate slider. Other than that, this update solves the problem I was having. :+1:

2 Likes

See, you were just ahead of your time. By about 48 hours. :wink:

2 Likes