FAQ: List of devices with dry contact input from external sources

Your link is broken, but you know the three basic rules of home automation , right?

1. The model number matters

2. always read the manual, both before and after you buy

3. Physics counts.

In this case, from the manual:

. The ZG8101 has 2 normally closed contact terminals. These can be used for additional external switch wired contacts.

We will leave finding a copy of the manual online as an exercise for the reader. :wink:

1 Like

Cheers. I’m learning. Im a bit put out by my failure with the fibaro universal as it’s technically a more suited device. It makes me a bit hesitant of ordering in case it’s a waste of money.

Do you reckon a built in generic “z wave motion sensor” device handler could work with the vision?

1 Like

Not likely, as the Vision ZG8101 Is not a motion sensor. It’s a tilt sensor. ( first rule of home automation: the model number matters.)

But I would think a better choice for you would be the vision ZD 2102, which is a contact sensor with dry contacts.

A motion sensor detects some other object moving around the room, in home automation usually through very small changes in heat moving across the field.

An accelerometer reports its own changes in movement.

A tilt sensor can either be an accelerometer or it can just be a device which has multiple contact points (inclinometer).

A contact sensor reports when the sensor becomes close enough to a magnet to move an internal reed. Consequently a contact sensor has two stable states. This makes it a little bit easier to use for the purpose you intend.

1 Like

I note that the device that vesternet recommended to you is a contact sensor. That makes more sense, as I mentioned.

1 Like

I agree that a contact sensor makes more sense in my use case, but out of interest, wouldn’t the dry contact external input on the tilt sensor be able to be seen as a totally separate contact in SmartThings, which I could set as binary on or off?

It’s just a matter of which edge driver you can use, because most of them don’t have a way of separately reporting the dry contact input. It just gets folded into their regular reporting. So the edge drivers for a binary devices are likely to be more suitable than the edge driver for a multi phase device.

1 Like

I have been using the Smartthings water leak sensor (now Aeotec GP-AEOWLSEU) to capture dry contacts from my n/o rain sensor for some time now, if this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks! Which edge driver are you using for it?

Just the default edge “Zigbee Water Leak Sensor”.
I see I alsohave Zigbee Moisture Sensor MC also availble, but have yet to explore it, as the default works ok.
PS I just solder to the top two contacts (bottom 2 are a little close).

I personally don’t use a solder method for dry contacts because of longterm degradation issues that can lead to arc faults. I look for purposebuilt devices. But that’s just me. :thinking:

1 Like

Luckily you’re in the minority, choice is good :sunglasses:

Quite limited options here in Au and they are very expensive. This solution is very easy and cheap.
There is no voltage issues here as the rain guage is a simple n/o microswitch and the leak sensor is well undercover. Has been running now for over aa year.

Even easier use a cheap Tuya ZigBee leak sensor, cut off the probe and wire it into your device.

2 Likes

Solder 2 joints Vs 1 cut & 2 solder.
Used the ST leak sensor because I bought a few spares as they were running down stocks.
Might explore some Tuya eventually, but awaiting ST Edge to stabilize.
What driver does the Tuya one use?

I am using the “ZigBee Moisture Sensor Mc” driver with the Tuya leak sensors.

1 Like

Have you had any use of this or seen it in the wild @JDRoberts ? Can’t work out if it will accept dry contacts as inputs for producing a smartthings event

Lots of people in Europe using it, including some community members in this forum. “Potential free” means the same thing as “dry contact.” But it’s only for low-voltage devices.

Some people have used a dumb contactor as an intermediary and handled it that way.

Do you mean solder the dry contact/low voltage outputs from my actual device to the connectors in the middle pic top right ?

Out of curiosity, are you content with the driver outputting “moisture detected” rather than whatever the real purpose for them is?

Actually I use mine connected to the overflow switch on my HVAC condensate pump. So moisture is what I want.

For other uses I would create a virtual device for whatever I want it to report. The I would use 2 routines to connect them. The other option might be to download the Edge driver and tweak it to show what I want.

2 Likes