SmartThings Community

FAQ: List of devices with dry contact input from external sources

project_alerts
project_misc

Your link is broken, but you know the three basic rules of home automation , right?

1. The model number matters

2. always read the manual, both before and after you buy

3. Physics counts.

In this case, from the manual:

. The ZG8101 has 2 normally closed contact terminals. These can be used for additional external switch wired contacts.

We will leave finding a copy of the manual online as an exercise for the reader. :wink:

Cheers. I’m learning. Im a bit put out by my failure with the fibaro universal as it’s technically a more suited device. It makes me a bit hesitant of ordering in case it’s a waste of money.

Do you reckon a built in generic “z wave motion sensor” device handler could work with the vision?

Not likely, as the Vision ZG8101 Is not a motion sensor. It’s a tilt sensor. ( first rule of home automation: the model number matters.)

But I would think a better choice for you would be the vision ZD 2102, which is a contact sensor with dry contacts.

A motion sensor detects some other object moving around the room, in home automation usually through very small changes in heat moving across the field.

An accelerometer reports its own changes in movement.

A tilt sensor can either be an accelerometer or it can just be a device which has multiple contact points (inclinometer).

A contact sensor reports when the sensor becomes close enough to a magnet to move an internal reed. Consequently a contact sensor has two stable states. This makes it a little bit easier to use for the purpose you intend.

I note that the device that vesternet recommended to you is a contact sensor. That makes more sense, as I mentioned.

I agree that a contact sensor makes more sense in my use case, but out of interest, wouldn’t the dry contact external input on the tilt sensor be able to be seen as a totally separate contact in SmartThings, which I could set as binary on or off?

It’s just a matter of which DTH you can use, because most of them don’t have a way of separately reporting the dry contact input. It just gets folded into their regular reporting. So the DTHs for a binary devices are likely to be more suitable then the DTH for a multi phase device.