FAQ: Is there a way to see the Zwave mesh network map?

I never had any issues with SmartThings v1 or v2. With SmartThings as the Primary controller, nothing changes with how Z-Wave functions (as far as the SmartThings hub is concerned). If you wan’t to use the Z-Stick as an additional automation controller (with open-zwave) or some other software, then the devices require a little bit of additional configuration. Namely, they need to be associated with the Z-Stick. Some devices don’t support multiple associations (so it is likely that you might have a motion or door sensor that only sends its state to the SmartThings hub.

At one point I did run multiple controllers in that sense, but now only use them for diagnostic purposes. SmartThings is capable of doing just about anything I can think of programmatically so I don’t really have a need for an alternate automation software running. Where a Z-Stick still comes in handy is to easily check device associations, config parameters, and update device firmware.

To set it up as a Secondary, you could use the Zensys tool I mentioned. https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000110204-zensys-tool

Basically, you put the SmartThings hub in inclusion mode just like adding any Z-Wave device and in Zensys tool click the little lightning icon that says “Start Learn Mode”. In the Log, you can capture your Z-Wave security key. A few icons down from the lightning icon is a “Request Update” button. Click that if you add Z-Wave devices to the SmartThings hub down the road and they aren’t showing up on the Secondary Controller.

5 Likes