FAQ: Affordable Hardware Dashboard

Excellent!

I wasn’t able to get both portrait and landscape to work, just couldn’t get the charger to line up in landscape. The extra magnets made it a little heavier and as you found, it seems to need another magnet or it can tilt. So I went just back to the three magnets for portrait.

Can you show us where you put your magnets to work both in portrait and landscape?

I arranged 4 magnets in a square…so they are all the same distance horizontally and vertically from each other. They are pretty snug in the wall plate around the charger, but it fits. I will probably add another 1 at the top of the wall plate (and 2 more corresponding ones to the kindle so I can still have both layouts).

I can take a picture or do a mock up tomorrow.

Next I need to get a browser’s full screen mode and the motion activation to work correctly.

Thanks again for the great write up.

2 Likes

Some notes on my setup: I ended up using “Kiosk Browser Lockdown” to display the Smart Tiles Dashboard. Price was steep, but it did everything I wanted (true full screen, photo screensaver, scheduled suspend/wake) and I couldn’t find a free alternative. The only thing I haven’t been able to figure out is getting the screen to brighten automatically with Tasker. Motiion events are being detected, I have the Tasker profile from the faq loaded (and have tried both actions), but it doesn’t work.

Here are a couple pictures as promised – before and after adding a 5th magnet. Unfortunately, the 5th doesn’t help keep it level in landscape much better than 4 did – though it does feel more secure on the wall. A portrait orientation still works too, the 5th magnet just isn’t used.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

I find it is more stable if you put more magnets towards the top. In your landscape photo it looks like you have them on the bottom.

I kept my magnets away from the QI receiver. I didn’t realize it would work on top of it. I’ll have to mess around more with mine to get landscape.

I can’t help much with tasker other than people found it could be a different action depending on the tasker version.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Yes, the extra magnet on top would probably be better, it just didn’t fit quite as well that way. If I’m not happy with it, I’ll flip it to the top.

Wasn’t sure if the QA receiver would work with the magnet on it, but it seems to OK – not sure if it would be more efficient without it, but the kindle is 100% charged in the morning, so it works well enough. Under the wall plate, the magnets are very close to the transmitter, but not on top of it.

For anyone else that runs into the issue: Finally got Tasker/motion detector working – I needed to enable Send Notifications in Motion Detector.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

If anyone’s interested in my setup - similar but slightly different in that I used an almost-waterproof case for the tablet since it will be in the garage and out by the pool - I moved my writeup to this thread:

Thanks for the help and inspiration.

Kjell

2 Likes

I am having a weird response. Mine only works with the org.jastrzab.move.ACTION_GLOBAL_BROADCAST value but even though the dim is set to 1% it is not actually dimming to 1%.

The system has a limit on the dim value which is something like 20 to 30%. Setting it lower will not get around this limit. Thus, you can’t dim it completely to dark nor close to it.

Is there a control to turn off the display?

No one has figured out how to do it without returning to the initial screen without rooting.

I find dimming it to the lowest level greatly reduces power, so I leave it at that. Also, the camera motion detection doesn’t work in total darkness, so the dimmed level works fine.

Thanks, I really didn’t want to root it.

looks great

question @beckwith. i got this wireless charger setup but did not get ac adapter. just tried plugging in the kindle charger to it. i get a blue led light on charger but kindle is not charging. you think it is because i don’t have the correct ac adaptor?

i ordered an adapter and will try that. the one on your link is no longer available.

well crap. i got this today and it does not work either. @beckwith or anyone, any ideas if i am doing something wrong? it is a kindle fire 7 hd right?

well i know this works, tried it on my wife’s 10" kindle fire and it is charging. just not on my 7". odd

@nelemansc did you ever figure out your charging issue?

@ispy I actually just ended up getting a replacement tablet and that resolved the issue. Not sure why it wouldn’t work on the original.

replacement tablet or charger? i found that this setup will charge my 10" kindle fire just fine but not the 7., reading through I see talk of the 1000ma charger which is not what I have. using the link about i ended up with a 500ma one. i am ordering the 1000ma to see if that fixes my issue.