Fans and Bulbs

I was looking at this bulb on sale at Target but it states that it won’t work on ceiling fans. Looked at some other smart bulbs and seeing the same thing. Is there a difference in bulbs? I only have 2 wire for bulbs and fan and saw suggestion to use smart switch for fans and smart bulbs for lite.
Ty, Diane

Hi Diane,

If I am understanding the situation your issue might be that there is no power going to the light fixture if the fan itself has no power.

Said another way… if you have a single power line (ex. romex black/white/ground cable) going to the fan housing, then your fan control (low/med/high/off) and light (on/off) are controlled by pull chains, the problem would be that turning off power at the switch will kill the power to the smart bulbs. They (the smart bulbs) need constant, full power or they will drop off of the network.

If you had 2 separate power lines going into the ceiling fan (one to power the fan motor and a second to power the lights), then you could use a smart light switch (or micro switch like the Aeon) to control the lights and a smart fan control switch to control the fan speed.

Did that help? Or did I just add to your confusion? :confused:

I guess I’m describing wrong. I have a remote controlled only set of fans/lights and want to control fans separately from the lights with ST. Thinking of hard wire fans to smart switch and use smart bulbs. All the bulbs I am seeing on sale, of course, state ‘not useable in ceiling fans’. Why?
Ty, Diane

you linked to “GE Link 60-Watt A19 Smart LED Light Bulb”. I didn’t see any mention of ceiling fans. FYI I’ve used this bulb in ceiling fan, non-dimming light open fixtures, without a problem.

Regarding “WHY” - Usually prohibitions like that are to avoid problems with heat-buildup in closed fixtures, or misapplication on dimming circuits.

I was able to dim the GE Link bulb in other fixtures, both by its built-in function and by an external dimmer.

I don’t love GE Links for other reasons - they can cook themselves and internally leak oily fluid when used in closed fixtures. They drop off the network - even though they can usually rejoin without manual intervention.

They still seem like a good value, and sometimes it’s easiest to use a smart bulb if you don’t have a neutral at the switch.