Edge Driver needed for the Ring Alarm Contact Sensor Using the 'Z-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensor' DTH

Im unable to get the contact sensor to enter the fast blinking mode - it only does the 3 slow blinks and pressing the button doesn’t do anything.

Hello mykohsu! Welcome to the community!

See here for more information…

To pair the ring contact sensor you must hold the button on the face of the sensor for at least 10 seconds. When it starts to flash rapidly it can take up to one minute to connect. My sensors have be very reliable and solid once they are connected.

1 Like

hello… guys… im new here in the community… im having trouble with the last ring motion sensors version 1 that i bought… i cant installed… i also have 4 in my hub same model… and they are working just fine… i read a little bit on the thread and i think my problem will be the driver right?

There are drivers for the Ring Alarm Gen2 Contact and Motion sensors via the Milan Edge Driver Channel. I am not aware of any edge driver support for Gen1 Ring Alarm sensors. Here is a link to my Bud’s Smart Home website providing instructions, product links and driver links for the edge driver install, assuming you decide to update to the Gen2 Ring Alarm sensors. IMO, the Ring Gen2 contact sensor is wonderful. I am not so enthralled with the Gen2 Motion Sensor. It has a long cooldown period which makes it less attractive for frequent motion events.

hello… thanks for the response… but now that i see it… it is working… :slight_smile: the version 1 also works with edge driver…thanks

1 Like

Re: " the version 1 also works with edge driver…thanks"

Good to know…

Does the stock z-wave sensor driver work for the gen2 contact sensors for anyone? Doesn’t for me, so I assume not.

Annoying to have to waste space with another driver when stock z-wave sensor works for most every other basic sensor.

I’m using the Z-Wave Sensor CS driver (formerly Z-Wave Sensor PH) for all my contact sensors including Ring v2, Aeotec ZWA007, and Ecolink 2.5.

William,

The Gen 2 Ring Alarm sensors work with the “Z-Wave Sensor Ring” driver from the Milan Driver Channel. There are channel and driver links and instructions for pairing ring devices on my Bud’s Smart Home website

Hey guys, I just got these new Ring Outdoor Contact Sensors (2 Pack), and these are with Z-Wave Plus LR (link below). After a painful pairing process (5 attempts of inclusions and exlcusions), but I am having this issue where they pair as a generic sensor, and then never stay online. Does the Milan Driver for Ring Sensors include these sensors? Also, is there a way to edit SmartThings to have these only appear as a contact sensor, and not every sensor out there?

Ring Alarm Outdoor Contact Sensor – 2-pack https://a.co/d/0iPX89r

Edit: Realized I typed Milano and not Milan. My apologies

Is there a link to this driver?

You can find the channel invite and supported sensors in this topic.

Yes. Follow the Milan Driver Channel link found in this thread: Ring Alarm Contact Sensor Edge Driver
Here is the driver channel link: Milan Edge Drivers
Install the driver “Z-Wave Sensor Ring”
If you need help, go to the article on my website: https://www.budshomeautomation.com/post/how-to-install-a-smartthings-edge-driver-for-ring-alarm-devices

I have it installed, but it continues to say that the device hasn’t updated all of its status information yet. The device is not even 2 meters away from an Aeotec Repeater/Extender. It also shows as every sensor possible. How can I change it to be just a contact sensor with battery and tamper alert functions?
Images just to show my screen:

Try this driver

I tried Milan’s driver, the images are from SmartThings using said driver

So, just switched between Samsung’s driver and Milan’s. Went back to Milan’s and the device is no longer responding. I can switch it back in the web-portal, but not the app
EDIT: Switched between the Z-Wave Sensor CS driver from CStup Edge Drivers to Milan’s, and the device now shows Motion, Illuminance, Temperature and Humidity, and Device Network ID without values, but Contact, Motion (based off of the Contact Sensor), Tamper, and Battery show values

I would delete the device and repair it. It should pick up Milen’s and work properly.

Why do my sensors just appear as generic Z-wave devices (even when using Milan’s driver?) This means they don’t show up in Home Monitor properly. Is there a way to change to ‘contact sensor’?

It is possible that they didn’t pair correctly. Check in the Advanced Web App Samsung account to see what the Manufacturers Code ( fingerprints) is. If it is all 00000’s, exclude the device and repair the device next to your hub.

1 Like