[EDGE DEVICE] Simple Harmony Bridge **Alpha Testing**

@lmullineux Thanks for your suggestions about methods to “label” Harmony commands.

1. Name your routine with a meaningful name so you remember what it does.

Yes, I’ve been doing this but what I found out is that it’s better to let the Harmony command creation create the routine automatically as opposed to manually creating a routine.

2. Encapsulate the device command in a scene, that way you can name the scene, then call the scene from a routine (i think scenes have been renamed ‘manually run routines’ in the latest version of the app.

Scenes have been removed from SmartThings and replaced by Routines now. You also can’t call manually created routines directly from other routines. Try it and see. You need to create a virtual device instead as an intermediary.

3. I haven’t tried this but it should work… just be careful of making them too long because of field length limits on ST {“activityId”:“51442148”,“action”:“startActivity”,"description":"Turn on Roku"}

This is interesting! I’ll look into this one to see if it works.

My current solution now is the following for now:

1. Use vEdge Creator to create a virtual momentary push button device with a meaningful name for the Harmony action. When pressed, the virtual push button executes the Harmony command (using this driver). When adding the Harmony command to the virtual push button, it will also generate it’s own corresponding Routine to run for this. Here you can also name the automatically generated Routine with a meaningful name.

2. Now wherever you need to execute that Harmony action, use the virtual push button. The virtual button can be used in any action, including other Routines. This overcomes the limitations with the inability to call Routines from other Routines. It also avoids creating multiple duplicate auto generated Routines with the same Harmony action.

1 Like