Door sensors

I’m having a lot of difficulty with door sensors. I have 6 door sensors and they can’t make up their mind if they are open or closed. Its seems the work correctly about 40% of the time. Some better than others.

All but one sensor are Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors. The one is a Dome Z-Wave + door sensor.
I implemented the Dome because a Ecolink at that location was not being picked up at all when opening and closing. I figured it was just too far away from the hub and or another Z-Wave device. So I read on here where people had this problem with the Ecolink’s so I switched to a Dome Z-Wave Plus. When that didn’t resolve it. I removed the Dome from the system, added a GE Toggle Dimmer light switch Z-Wave near by. It was found no problemo. Then I added the Dome sensor back again. The hub found it but can never tell if it’s open or closed.

All of my other Ecolink Door sensors will randomly change status from open to close or close to open all on their own. It’s crazy! I’ve completely removed all of them and added them back one at a time starting with those closest to the hub and moving out (hoping it would help with connections and reliability). But that changed nothing. They are still completely unreliable.

Should I abandon door sensors? Did I buy crap sensors? Help!

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. :disappointed_relieved:

Here’s the troubleshooting checklist for sensors, it may help ( this is a clickable link):

Hey JD,

Thanks for the response! I’ll check batteries on all of them, although they are all new they could be low. If okay I’ll do step two.

Happy Holidays!

Matt

1 Like

Have you tried a Z-wave repair on your network?

Did you install other Z-wave repeaters like the GE Z-wave outlet switch near your Ecolink sensors?

1 Like

I have a GE Z-Wave Dimmer toggle light switch near them.

Have you run the Z wave repair since all the devices were put in place? The sensors may not know that the switch is there, particular if you paired them right next to the hub initially.

I have had hit/miss performance with the ecolinks. I plan not to use them anymore.

Another Test I have done, is use a magnet and manually test the switch. I have found sometimes the spacing between the door and magnet causes issues. Even off by a few millimeters can cause weird behavior.

1 Like

Maybe grab some Smartthings multipurpose sensors

I’ve run the Z-wave repair. It gets a lot of failures. I can’t remember off the top of my head what they were. There is no improvement though.

If you’re getting error messages from the zwave repair, then you need to work on fixing those errors. It’s telling you that the network is not functioning efficiently.

If you don’t feel comfortable doing this yourself, contact support.

Okay will do. Sounds like I have a lot to figure out tonight!

Thank you all for your help. I’ll post again about results

1 Like

AthensMatt, I’m part of Dome Home Automation product support and development team. Have you solve this issue? I know it’s been awhile but please let us know if you need any additional assistance with troubleshooting. You can reach out to us directly at support@domeha.com. Thanks for your support!