Door sensor recommendation or comparison

Hey everybody!

Iā€™m looking to add open/closed sensors to my doors - one is a sliding glass door. Iā€™ve searched quite a bit but I havenā€™t found a comparison of the many door sensors that integrate with smartthings. Has anybody found something like this?

Does anyone have a recommendation? Why that one?

Thanks!

The following thread should help ( this is a clickable link)

1 Like

Very informative - Thank you!

I guess Iā€™m looking for a brand recommendation or two and a reason for beating the competition.

Different things work for different people. :sunglasses: there are brand notes For door sensors in post 15 Of the thread I listed above.

As far as sliding glass doors, the sensative strips ( detailed, Including a picture showing them on a glass door, in the other thread) are hard to beat for those, but they are expensive. So not everyone will choose them.

The smartest House usually has a bundle deal where you get one Sensative strip and 1 Zooz motion sensor for $60 which brings the price down quite a bit if you could also use the motion sensor, so thatā€™s worth checking if you find you are interested in them.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/sensative/products/sensative-z-wave-plus-strips-invisible-door-window-sensor-with-free-z-wave-plus-motion-sensor

1 Like

So here are my priorities in order:

1. Reliability and response time
  2. Battery life
  3. Size (smaller is better?)
  4. Range (especially if theyā€™re zwave as I have lots of zwave swirches

What do you recommend? Fibaro, Iris, Aeotec, SmartThings, sensative, etc? Iā€™m lost :frowning:ļø

For a sliding glass door? Definitely Sensative strips. They are zwave plus, so they will have the longest range among zwave/zigbee options. Very reliable. 10 year battery life. Patented case which makes them the thinnest zwave door sensors available. Weatherproof and paintable. And as a bonus, they are on the official ā€œworks with SmartThingsā€ list and will work straight out of the box with SmartThings.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/211360866-Sensative-Strips

The only downside is the cost.

As a second choice for sliding glass door , I personally would pick the triangular Aeotec door sensor, but once you get to second choice there are more options and different people have different preferences.

1 Like