Done with motion sensors

I have a wood structure home. The hub and router sit next to each other. How far apart should I try moving them?

if you have the device open in the app and trigger motion on it, does the app reflect that? if not, then the automation isn’t the problem.

how is the automation the problem if the device does not say it detects motion when I’m triggering motion on it?

If the device is not registering motion in the app, the automation uses those inputs to do other things.

yes, that’s exactly what i’m asking. if the app isn’t registering the motion then you have mesh and/or connectivity issues, which are never fun to troubleshoot. Is your hub away from your wifi router?

The hub sits next to the router and is plugged in with a network cable

As was stated a couple of times, you may have interference between your router’s 2.4ghz channel and the Zigbee channel within ST.

2 Likes

This is a good read too

1 Like

WiFi interference is a common culprit in these situations because Wi-Fi 2.4 and zigbee occupy the same bands and Wi-Fi is a much stronger signal. So Wi-Fi can sometimes drown out nearby zigbee signals, particularly boosted Wi-Fi.

And Wi-Fi often varies in the amount of traffic during the day. Sending texts or reading emails will be light. Start streaming Netflix on two different devices in the house and it’s like rush-hour on the highway.

I have Two completely separate issues we had at our house. First, we had a plug in Wi-Fi booster. If we put it on the north wall of one room, everything to the west that was zigbee and connected to SmartThings effectively fell off the network. If we moved the booster to the east wall, everything was fine again. Apparently there was just some architectural bottleneck in that area and the Wi-Fi booster was creating a dead zone for zigbee there.

Second, I had a problem for months where my zigbee arrival sensor would think it was coming and going constantly starting every weekday about 3:20 PM. I’m pretty sure one of my neighbors had boosted Wi-Fi and a kid who got home from school around that time. But I could never track it down exactly.

So intermittent problems with zigbee devices, especially a bunch of zigbee devices at once, is often Wi-Fi interference. Z wave devices should not be affected, they operate at a different frequency.

1 Like

What is the reset time on your sensors? Most have a short reset and long reset. My motion sensors are set to reset at four minutes. Anything less than four minutes will not trip a new motion alert, just the original alert.

I don’t know what the reset time is on my sensors. I have the iris 2nd gen and a fibaro sensor

@fstbusa
Your Iris sensors have approx 1 min reset time.
I have same problems occasionally, but rarely on zigbee. It’s mostly on zwave. They usually clear themselves within a few hours. That tells me it’s not the sensors but communication sensor-internet-server-hub and there’s nothing I can do to fix it.

1 Like

Actually, I believe the Iris has a 30 second reset period.

I had issues with this early on and ended moving my ST Hub to another room. This fixed my disconnect issues permanently.

Iris motions are awesome.

1 Like

because I do not have wired network jacks all over my house… would it be best to move my hub far away from the router and utilize the hub wifi vs trying to keep it relatively closer in the same vicinity and use a wired connection between the hub and router?

Before you move anything, change the channel on your wifi 2.4ghz first. Start there.

What does your Zigbee channel show in IDE right now? What is your 2.4ghz channel right now?

Edit:
My tip for troubleshooting is to always do one thing at a time. Too many people try to do too many things at once and whether it resolves the problem or not, they never end up knowing what the true source of the problem was or the exact resolution. It may take a little longer, but by doing this for everything, you will have a better understanding of source cause. Just my opinion.

Sorry, I found this confusing. If you are referring to the SmartThings hub, it doesn’t have Wi-Fi at all. It has to be cabled either directly to your Internet router or to a Wi-Fi access point that has an ethernet jack. But its connection will always be wired for Internet. So to create more distance between the smartthings hub and your Wi-Fi router, you just use a longer ethernet cord.

I’m just starting to delve into the possibilities afforded by motion sensors. Specifically, I want to use them to help control the thermostat. Imagine this scenario: usual winter daytime temp in home is 68 (no lower because of elderly cats who need warmth) when we are out at work. When we come home, temp goes to 70.

I want to use motion so that, in the event one of us is home during a workday, the thermostat goes to 70. I set it up in webcore, the concept works…

But the cats routinely set off the motion detect, and the house is at 70 all day because of it.

I just got three of the Bosch motion sensors from mydigitaldiscount. This weekend I’ll be testing them to see if they can trigger on human motion, while not triggering on cat motion. If not, then the concept of motion detection is pretty useless to me. There might be other uses, but that’s my big one.

why not use presence for humans that arrive home? getting cats not to trigger motion will be difficult.

Did you locate the Zigbee channel?
Did you find the channel that your 2.4ghz is running on?

If you let us know what those current settings are, we can tell you if they are sitting on top of each other.

Because presence has turned out to have its own issues… and what if we have company that has no official system presence? Mother in law might like to have some warmth when she’s here.

Basically, I’m looking to do with motion detection what ecobee does with its occupancy sensors. And I want it to not turn up the heat if someone is in bed reading at 2am, but if that person gets up to have a snack and watch some tv at that hour I want them to have heat.

So presence alone is not sufficient.

I have cats as well and one reason I love my Nest cameras is that I am able to setup zones that ignore specific places in the room, for example across the floor and one specific portion of the couch in view of the camera, when they walk in those areas it ignores those zones and doesn’t set off motion events. And for an intruder they would have to do a Katherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment dipping in between all the zones. :rofl: