Dogs and Geese

I have a bit of a unique challenge to solve…

I have 3 dogs and 4 geese on 100 acres. There is a gps containment fence that works great for the dogs giving them most of the property to play. Geese roam free.

Recently, the dogs have started harassing the geese. I have no fences so my only current option is to tie the dogs up to protect the geese.

Im wondering if i could put a sensor on the geese and, similar to the fenceline, the dogs get a sound if they get to close to the geese? Is it possuble? Does it exist? Sensor for geese will have to be small and waterproof.

What breed of dogs?

As I have mentioned before, many of my extended family live on working farms with working dogs. Dogs and geese usually can work things out themselves, unless you are worried about protecting nesting geese with babies. This will be true of most breeds used as farm dogs. (The exception tends to be northern breeds like huskies and malamutes Who are survival hunters and Have very high prey drive. But if you had those, you likely would’ve had problems all along.)

Geese can be quite aggressive and most dogs will back off. Geese can also fly, unless you’ve clipped their wings.

(If by “GPS“ you mean your dogs are wearing collars that cause them pain when they get too near a specific boundary, then, unfortunately, that will not stop them from attacking animals. In fact, the adrenaline rush from the pain can increase their aggressiveness. If, instead, it is, indeed, just a notification collar that notifies you when the dog crosses a particular boundary, then that’s not likely to help with the geese situation, either.)

I suggest getting in touch with your local animal control agency or agricultural college and asking them for advice.

In any case, rather than tying up the dogs all day, It would seem more practical just to fence in a relatively small area to give the geese a safe place to retreat to. Again, geese are smart and quite proactive when it comes to dogs: assuming they can still fly, they can quickly learn that behind the fence is safe.

2 Likes