Do you leave your smart home tablet plugged in 24/7?

So I recently wall mounted a new tablet and I’m curious if I should leave it plugged in 24/7.

My old tablet’s battery went bad and swelled to the point that it started pushing the screen apart from the casing. I’m assuming that was because I left the tablet plugged in all the time. It was a Lenovo brand that was probably about five years old.

I have the capability of adding a smart plug and using a MacroDroid trigger to turn off the smart plug when the new tablet is fully charged and then turn it back on when the battery gets low.

Is this necessary with modern batteries or is it irrelevant?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7.

1 Like

I’ve had a Kindle Fire plugged in for more than 3 yrs

2 Likes

Have 3 Fire tablets that stay plugged in. One day noticed one of them had screen seperation and bulge at one end. Tablet was hot to touch. Contacted Amazon who said probably do to battery malfunction. Kind enough to replace out of warranty tablet. SInce then I unplug all of them when away for more than a few hours.

This is one of those things that varies by manufacturer and model. And also whether you are using a manufacturer approved charging cable and charger.

Apple says it’s fine to leave an iPad plugged into the charger 24/7 and this is common, for example, for wall displays and kiosk operations.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252430962

And, of course, if you want to use an Apple iPad as a HomeKit hub, you have to leave it plugged in all the time. So that’s considered normal practice.

On the other hand, Verizon does not recommend this for Samsung galaxy models. They say the lithium battery can overcharge.

And yet there are definitely kiosks that use Samsung tablets as well, so I’m not sure if Samsung would consider Verizon’s advice overly conservative, or if their kiosk mode has some additional safeguards against overcharging. :thinking:

This forum was set up several years ago so that customers can help other customers, but the advice you get here, unless it’s from a staff member, is not considered official.

Samsung does have an official help forum staffed by Samsung employees, so you might try asking there as well. I wouldn’t even mention SmartThings: just ask if it’s ok to leave your specific model plugged in all the time.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Tablets/bd-p/get-help-tablets

1 Like

I have two Amazon Fire tablets plugged into a Lutron USB-C outlet for about 3 years now and have had no problems.

I have had an old Google Nexus tablet and Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone do this battery bubbling thing when plugged in all the time.

I’m now using the Tab A7 Lite I bought that I leave plugged in all the time. However, the Tab A7 Lite apparently has something programmed into it when Battery Optimization is enabled. The battery level shows 100% when fully charged even though it’s really only 85% of the battery capacity. However, after a few days the level drops from 100% to 75% and stays there with the tablet plugged in all the time with battery optimization enabled. When I go to settings, the battery status shows ‘Plugged in, can’t charge right now’, but the battery level just stays at ~75% all the time while leaving it plugged in.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 Like