[DISCONTINUED] Blink Camera Device Handler/SmartApp

The only functionality I’d be able to build back into this SmartApp using IFTTT is Arming/Disarming the entire system and detection motion so it’s not worth it.

And the surprising follow-up email from Blink:

The $35 SmartThings integration is in no way official, and that is also getting disabled. As I mentioned before, these unofficial integrations were causing issues for our users, which is obviously unacceptable. We want to ensure that all of our users have the best experience possible with Blink. To do this, we needed to disable all 3rd party integrations, which includes RBoy’s integration.

Thanks,_
Adam _
Blink Customer Service_

2 Likes

I’d settle for Arming/Disarming and motion detection. Those are the two functions I use from Smartthings.

Guess we have to wait to get more details from @RBoy on this?

Can’t help but be very curious, as I was pretty sure he has/had a good relationship with Blink (and was counting on it, as third-party – fourth party? - vendor partnerships are a good thing).

###Just reminding everyone…
Too soon to panic! :warning: Wait until all the information comes out.

And… Well…isn’t this “information”? …

3 Likes

Yup, it’s working with @RBoy’s update. I literally “blinked” (no pun intended) and it was broken and fixed. I gotta tell you, keeping up with a SmartHome is non-stop work!

2 Likes

I received a similar response after several attempts to contact them. So are they not telling the truth? Or they have not communicated this with Rboy? The more I read the more I’m angry lol

I know how you feel, I wasted countless hours writing it.

Have you asked @RBoy himself??

I have not asked @RBoy. I would like to say I have nothing against Rboy and commend him on his ability to achieve what he’s done. Nothing against him or even the fact he charges. I myself don’t have the skills and I’m sure there are some cost to maintain his server etc. I don’t understand what Blinks position is though. Just wanted to put that out there.

If you setup a virtual lock, you should be able to automatically arm and disarm the Blink system in SmartThings using the IFTTT channel.

It looks like the logging IFTTT channel uses Google Sheets so it would be possible for a google script to send the motion events to a SmartApp or setup a SmartApp that checks for the events at a set interval.

That being said, Blink already provides push notifications, the events would be several minutes behind, and it would be a pain to initially setup so I really don’t think enough people would use it to make it worth creating.

Ok. Arm/Disarm is what I need most since I ARM the cameras when I set my security system and Disarm it when I disarm the security system.

1 Like

This has been my #1 complain with Blink. Their communication is terrible. They continue to also post updates that are only accessible to their Kickstarter backers. At this point I’d think paying customers should get the same information.

The ability to arm/disarm individual cameras(automated) is a big loss for me. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but this makes my hub much less useful for me personally.

If all you need is arm and disarm, you can do that through the new blink service/channel. There may be some additional lag, though.

1 Like

I’s have to look at how to do that. I don’t mind the lag. It doesn’t have to be instant response.

Thanks for trying to help, but not the issue. I have a total of 6 blink
cameras currently. When I’m home I still want my system to be armed, but I
don’t want all my cameras enabled. I can do this within the Blink app takes
a while and don’t want to have to re-enable those cameras myself when I
leave home. There are only 2 actions via IFTTT Arm/Disarm the system, no
way to enable/disable individual cameras.

I just want to vent. I’m not blaming anyone or asking for pity. I just want to express my concerns on why I feel this is important to me. I was robbed at gunpoint when working at a retail pharmacy, my personal belongings were taken including my drivers license, car key, home key, etc. So I of course wanted cameras for my first home that I had only been in a few weeks. The Blink cameras are a great value, but at the time could not quite afford the system I wanted. One day I found a wallet with what some may consider a substantial amount of money. I found the guy, he gave me $300, got the Blink 5 camera system. Somehow that made the cameras more important to me in a way. I have some cameras outside in covered unexposed areas and want those cameras always Enabled and inside cameras Disabled, but system armed. I must admit this can be done manually through the Blink app, but is a bit cumbersome. Also no geo fencing was available natively until the recent IFTTT Intergration. So when I found out that ST Intergration was available two ways via custom devices from @RBoy and @krlaframboise, I contacted rboy on Facebook to inquire about his product. Rboy was very helpful explaining to me my options and did mention the free service. I purchased the hub in the beginning strictly based on Blink Intergration. I do still think Blink cameras are a great value, but at the same time you pay for what you get. Maybe this commotion will make Blink look harder at ST native intergtation. So a “first world” problem, it is what it is. I wish success to all parties involved. Tried to keep it short but also convey how strongly I feel about the particular feature. Might have to fill in the blanks on my particular mindset about this.

2 Likes

You have been very helpful to me. I read my response and was kinda short with you. No way intended be disrespectful to you.

1 Like

No problem, I know it’s frustrating. :scream:

You know how I feel about paying for SmartApps, so I cringe at the thought of saying this, but this is really important to you so it’s probably worth paying the money for the other integration.

There are probably several people at Blink responding to emails and most of them are probably just repeating what they’re told and have no idea what’s really gong on behind the scenes.

I didn’t receive a follow email from Blink saying that the other SmartApp would be taken down and his code has already been updated to work with their new security protocols.

Although it’s a little concerning that @RBoy hasn’t responded, try not to stress out too much until we’re sure that his integration is no longer an option.

1 Like