Devices we don't have

I would ask in some of the Mimolite threads to see if you can figure out what’s going on there.

As far as the Aeotec contact device, it reports as an open/close binary sensor so it can definitely be used with SmartThings as a generic door sensor.

There are some community members who have customized the device type handler to reverse what is reported as “open”. You can see that work in the following thread (this is a clickable link)

(John Lee) #441

It works well. I am using them for to read a old alarm system with relay, a yard light with a relay and a heating boiler with a relay. So I have 3 at each of two locations. Set up is under open /closed sensors is this weeks version of Smart things as a Aeotec Dor/Window Sensor (Gen 5) mostly all z wave things work but only one function. Also using 4 Fibaro Door Window sensors which have connections so it can be used a a dry contact sensor and is much smaller FGK 101 -107. I use the Mimolite for a momentary switch on a garage door and a automatic Gate but use a dry contact sensor with a garage door armored door magnetic switch to sensor the gate and on the Garage door I use the positon function on a Smart things door switch and that shows up as a garage door in the APP. Anything not a Samsung part takes some messing around and when setting thing up you do it and walk away wait a few hours and the server will figure it out. The Z wave things are funny about getting them to join. I am up to 87 Devices on 2 hubs in 2 countries

(Ron Talley) #442

Motion Detector for Outdoors?

(Jeff) #443

I have an iDevices outdoor 2 outlet plug that I would love to have available within Smartthings but I haven’t seen any integration yet. It does have Homekit compatibility but I don’t use that much.

• Uk compatible doorbell
  • affordable speaker for notifications ($50-ish)
  • external motion sensor

https://ring.com/

:smiley:

edit: @JDRoberts correctly pointed out that Aeon doesn’t recommend using the Gen5 MultiSensor as an outdoor motion sensor. Due to the way that PIR sensors work they’re inherently poor at detecting motion in outdoor environments. If you were to use it you might see lots of false positives. If you have an outdoor area that’s sectioned off you may find some use in it, but otherwise we can’t recommend any outdoor motion sensors at this time.

(Mark) #446

Hi @Tyler, do you anticipate any updates on whether we’ll have official support for the centralite keypad (or any other) in the near future? It’s been about a year since you mentioned this was in progress (in another thread). Thanks.

(Ron Talley) #447

(Mark) #448

I’ve seen that smartapp, thanks. I can use the keypad to arm/disarm SHM, it has a functioning device handler. But ST staff have said in the past they won’t roll out delayed arming of SHM until there’s an officially supported keypad.

(Ron Talley) #449

Oh. Got it.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #450

I wouldn’t put too much weight on that. Regardless of broken promises in the past, this particular precedent doesn’t even matter all that much, and are completely separate development teams.

If the SHM team is deferring entry/exit grace delays due to lack of hardware, that’s just a convenient excuse. There’s absolutely no reason to believe if will suddenly increase in priority and resources after hardware is available.

(Mark) #451

It’s pretty clear at this point it’s not a priority at all. But since they’ve made public statements in the past implying it could eventually happen, and since @Tyler engages with community members re: device certification from time to time, it seemed like it was worth a shot to ask. I will not be holding my breath until that response comes, however.

Yeah, I can provide an update, but it’s more like a non-update.

We’ve made no progress on integrating a security keypad. There is not any ongoing work to make this happen, and it’s not present on any current prioritization list.

We’ve also made no progress in adding entry/exit delays to Smart Home Monitor. There is no ongoing work slated to make this happen, and it’s not present on any current prioritization list.

To be clear, there is no “Smart Home Monitor” team. We have a [pretty small] Works With SmartThings Engineering team that works across all solutions (Devices, SmartApps, partner integrations, submission review, general bug fixes, Samsung Connect, OCF, etc.). Smart Home Monitor hasn’t been changed since the beginning of the year.

I’m currently traveling, but will bring this up again with the team when I return to the office.

(Mark) #453

Thanks so much for the update, although that’s pretty disappointing to hear. Delayed arming and disarming of SHM has been a very common feature request since SHM was released two years ago, and for good reason IMO. It’s hard to understand why ST isn’t interested in adding this functionality.

There are two community discussion threads on outdoor motion sensors which are worth looking at.

The first one is pretty short and basically just suggests putting a tube over the lens of a PIR motion sensor, any of them including the Aeon which at least does have a weatherproof case, which can reduce some of the false alarms just because you narrow the detection field. But it obviously won’t work for all use cases. It’s most useful for use cases that involve small detection areas, like wanting the front lights to come on as you approach the front door. Not so useful if you want a security warning over a larger area.

The second is a long detailed discussion about the issues involved in using outdoor motion sensors and what some of the options are. There is some good information there, including suggestions from some of our UK members, but the short answer is to choose a device which is designed for outdoor sensing and then Wire it to something like the Aeotec Dry contact sensor (available in both the US and the UK) to have the reports sent to SmartThings. The thread discusses several different types of devices and different wiring methods, as well as the use of @Mike_Maxwell 's zone manager smartapp to combine several sensors into one zone. So different people will find different parts of thread helpful depending on the details of what you are trying to accomplish.

Still another option is to take advantage of motion sensors built into more expensive devices like the ring doorbell that @tyler mentioned or some of the outdoor cameras. These use a different technology than the simple PIR sensors and consequently have fewer false alerts outdoors. This option won’t work for everyone, but some people will find it useful. :sunglasses:

(Ron Talley) #455

I really don’t understand why there isn’t a simple outdoors motion sensor… Settled on using Blink XTs for Back Door and Garage and Ring Pro for Front Door. However, these solutions are on the “costly” side.

Physics. :wink:

Cheap “motion” sensors are really PIR sensors, and that technology just doesn’t work really well outdoors.

There’s a detailed discussion of this along with alternatives in the community FAQ:

But the short answer is that a reliable one cannot be made at the price point that people using DIY solutions typically want.

Your solution of using cameras with built in motion sensors is really the most cost-effective one for reliability right now. :sunglasses:

(Dan) #457

Tyler,

Thanks for the response, although not exactly what most folks want to hear.

Since SHM is not a priority for the ST Engineering Team, why not Open Source the code so the community can take a crack at adding the entry/exit delays?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #458

While I’m not answering for Tyler or in any official capacity, I believe that a significant reason is that the code for SHM includes various internal (ie, unpublished) APIs or Methods not available or hidden from Community Developers.

For example, SHM:

1. Is a Dashboard Solution SmartApp (ie, appears oj the front-page of the SmartThings App).

2. Can post special notifications that have reminders and need to be “dismissed” by the user: A function that ActionTiles Customers would love if we could access / integrate.

3. Can share notifications with specific monitoring Partners like Scout (previously announced “ADT Canopy” integration appears to have been abandoned or on hold).

4. Can automatically select “all” Things of a particular Capability (e.g., All Smoke Detectors, All Motion Sensors…).

Of course, all of the above APIs would be beneficial to Community Developers for various SmartApps (including CoRE), … But SmartThings knows this already.

(Mark) #459

How well does your Blink XT’s PIR sensor work for you outdoors? I’m running into sensitivity issues with mine (ie it’s too sensitive) and there’s a pretty active topic in the Blink community forum on this since it seems to be a widespread problem.