Description not shown for Boolean preferences

I am defining a boolean preference with a description for the user. The description isn’t being displayed for that boolean type. It does show for the others. Looks like it is allowed by the boolean type based on this link.

Here is the preference definition

preferences:
  - name: "testBoolean"
    title: "Boolean Title"
    description: "My test description"
    required: true
    preferenceType: boolean
    definition:
      default: true

@nayelyz Please let me know if I should add this to the Edge bug thread. I wasn’t sure if it was an Edge issue.

Hi!

Here is ok, don’t worry.
Preferences are not limited to Edge devices, if we add them to any device profile, they will be shown in the app.
It’s true they’re only supported in Edge so far, which means that in other integrations we cannot get their value from the code but that is a work in progress.

Can you share a screen capture of how the preference appears in the app, please?

This has different text but same issue. The integer preference does show the description once I tap on it. The boolean preference has no action when tapped. I can only toggle it.

Ok, I made some tests and the description is not shown because the preference is already initialized and there’s no way to make it empty like the list type.

If I set the preference like:

- name: "testBoolean"
    title: "Boolean Title"
    description: "My test description"
    required: false
    preferenceType: boolean
    definition:
      default: null

The description is shown but once I set a value (true/false), it is never shown again. Also, like it is required: true, we wouldn’t be able to set it to “null” again…

1 Like

Ok. So it needs to be null by default to show the description. Using null on other types causes the description to show on the top level as well.