[DEPRECATED Thread: visit community.webcore.co for assistance] webCoRE - Piston Design Help (ask your fellow members for assistance)

Idk if you are using the Nest Manager SmartApp or not but here are all the current states of my Nest.

You are correct in what you are doing. I was changing the mode from off/AC/heat etc.

That’s the way webCoRE (or more correctly, the DTH you’re using) sees it. From my logs:

Received event [EcoTherm: Living Room].thermostatOperatingState = cooling with a delay of 218ms

Operating State can be cooling, heating, or idle for the ecoBee3 … dunno about the Nest.

Ok, thanks for that. Maybe I will try it there and see if it works. If so I will report back. :slight_smile:

great thanks I will give it a try

[quote=“Cael, post:2356, topic:86345”]
rontalley:
I could only get ThermostatOperatingState to work sometimes. I was using it with wait timers or stays and it would either not change at all or was very inconsistent.

rontalley:
I ended up going back to CoRE for this rule and it never fails.

Yup, tried my piston in Core instead of WebCore and it works perfectly.

@ady624 - Just tagging you so as an FYI on ThermostatOperatingState. Thanks. :slight_smile:

thats nice and compact. awesome! thanks @Nezmo

1 Like

next question, do you find there is any advantage to have a piston running a preset app routine (example: Bedtime - turn off lights, lock doors, set thermostats, dim lights, etc) VS. having the piston run each of these same tasks individually?

I have several simple CoRE pistons that are structured per below

-Turn On
-Wait for false state
-Turn off

What is the suggested structure for webCoRE as I dont see a “Wait for False State” task.

Thanks!

Wouldn’t it be just Else?

Could you post an example of your CoRE piston?
I think if you do you will get some positive replies.

See below example.

If Motion Sensor I…is less than…
And
Time is between…
Using…
Turn on

Else
Using…
Turn off

Else means if conditions are not true (False State)

Can also use When True and When False

This is something i use for my fishtank light.
Different time for turn on for summer and winter.
Just change the turn on time to lux level.

Looking for design help, I want to know when my babysitter has dropped either of my thermostats’ cooling setpoint, or change fan mode below/to certain values, and if this occurs…either raise the cooling setpoint back up and/or change the fan mode back to auto.

I was thinking of looking at current event device and current event attribute, in order to assign an appropriate, but cant figure out how to do this without making a ton of IF statements. Is there a better way?

I would have expected you wanted to know when she dropped the baby? :smiley:

4 Likes

If it’s connected, without getting too technical, just use the changes trigger then use the “If” statements in the Then section

If Therm Changes

Then
If Therm is greater than setpoint
Then set therm to xxx
Send Text Blah Blah Blah

If Therm is less than setpoint
Then set therm to xxx
Send Text Blah Blah Bla

If Therm…Blah Blah Blah

I am sure there is a prettier way with values and what not but my logic is basic so I think and write basic. :joy:

1 Like

here is my initial approach, but from there I want to just be able to read the current even with attributes and react accordingly…

Hi!

I am trying to create a quite complex piston for handling automation with light and motion.
In that manner it kept failing for me whenever I used the “Changes to” event in condition. Then created new piston just for test and I can’t get “Changes to” event to work with Philips Hue light bulb. Nothing happens. If I use “Is” condition then it works but I can’t use that.

Why is that?

I see your thought process but I would do it as I suggested above. This way you only have two triggers.

Try using two Ifs and leave the Else out of it.

If Blah Blah Blah
Then Blah Blah Blah
If Opposite Blah Blah Blah
Then Blah Blah Blah

1 Like