[DEPRECATED] Neato Botvac Connected + Raspberry PI + ST

Haven’t tried it, but this might help? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18908708/installing-ruby-gem-in-windows

Sweet thank you I will try this out this weekend. If it works that will be one more thing controlled through Smartthings.

OK, so now that I have the integration working and everything seems stable, I would love to figure out what commands are available via the Amazon echo system. Is there any way for me to figure this out? It responds to turn on and turn off, but I dont know what else to try or where to figure out what it might understand.

thoughts?

Hi,

thanks for this project.

I only get an error with the commands “send_to_base”, “disable_schedule”, “enable_schedule” and “get_schedule”:

{“version”:1,“reqId”:“1”,“result”:“ko”,“error”:“ui_alert_invalid”}

Any idea? The rest seems to work

,“result”:“ko” - this means the command is invalid at this moment (not available), for example sending robot command to “location where it is started from” at the moment when cleaning is not paused.

“error”:“ui_alert_invalid” - means there is no error displayed on robot’s LCD.

Ok, I have been working this most of the night. I have the PI server purring like a kitten. Server tests fine and reports values noted in instructions. I followed the SmartThings instructions to a tee. My Neato isn’t connecting to the Smart Things app. I checked and rechecked my IP address for my PI and the port. Tested them on PI using curl and they work fine. All Neato commands work fine. I am getting the Bad Link icon inside the app itself. Tried the actual IP. Tried using localhost. Nothing works Current States says network not connected. Am I missing the way it should be entered? I am just putting the IP address without the http:// and still nothing. Noob at this stuff so any help would be awesome.

Have you tried a hub reboot? Sometimes I get an issue where local LAN calls don’t appear to get a response in the SmartThings logs. A reboot usually sorts this out.

I could never get it to work. I was using an emulator on Windows 7 versus an independent PI machine. What was strange that is it worked in the emulator. I don’t see how the emulator would be an issue if it is a fully functioning Raspbian OS. When I attempted to use the same settings in the app, it was no joy. I am using a Netgear router inside of a FIOS router, so that may be the issue as well. Thoughts?

Finally got it to work. A dedicated Pi machine and having everything on the same network was the solution. So now hoping someone gets this to work with Amazon Echo. :slight_smile:

I am the author of Ask Alexa and plan to get one of the connected Neato’s this week…I can then see what it will take to get this running…

Are you still having luck with it working with SmartThings?

So far yes. Took about five tries (my errors) but I finally got Smart
Things to make it work. What I observed are any mistakes that were kicked
back resulted in you having to stop any server processes and starting all
over again. Also, the Secret and Serial were a pain. If not inputted
exactly as stated, no joy.

Ick…maybe I don’t want to bother :slight_smile: Awww…I like a challenge…

Red Bull… lots and lots of Red Bull to deal with using Ruby.

Pretty stable for me. Sometimes the Botvac itself disconnects from the wifi network and needs a reboot now and then. In ST it will say robot serial does not exist but your first area of troubleshooting should be turning the Botvac off and on again.

So looking at this I wouldn’t want to recreate the wheel…if you have been in touch with the author of the app see if he can add a “turn on switch to start” (i.e. virtual switch or real one). That would be easily accessed by Ask Alexa, allowing SkyNet control of your robot :slight_smile:

Really hoping this will work with the new Neato’s coming out next month. Half the price + wifi O_O

Hello. I am having problems with SmartApp here. Device works like a charm, no problem, but app does not recognize the device and I see following in the logs:

trace groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: displayName for class: java.lang.String
trace Error checking status.

when I tried to add traces to see device (in this case “switch1”) it shows the uuid and it is not the object type, it is just a string.Seem like instead of object reference it pulls just reference uuid. As a result of empty device object poll fails every 5 minutes with following error:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.poll() is applicable for argument types: () values: []

UPDATE: Well, not sure why SmartApp did not like the device reference in the input as it was written by Alyc100, but when I changed whole input to following

def inputSwitchDevices = [name:“switch1”,type:“capability.switch”,title:“Which Neato Botvac?”,multiple:true,required:false]
section(“Select Botvac(s) to monitor…”){
input inputSwitchDevices
}

It immediately recognized selected botvac and all is great.

Is it now possible to get this to work without the Raspberry Pi @Alyc100?

It looks very promising. I will definitely look into this.

3 Likes

I’ve had a neato since they first came out. Would love to upgrade to botvac to take advantage of this all. Some awesome work

1 Like