[DEPRECATED] Free Ecobee Suite, version: 1.5.*

@Mavrrick58 -

Thanks for the report.

The code is designed to tolerate/handle the situation you describe, but if you feel the default 5 minute wait before actually turning off/on the HVAC isn’t enough, then you can configure the delay time longer in the SmartApp setup. In your case, I would NOT recommend setting it to 0, by the way - that would probably not work. 2 should be fine, but you can try and see if 3 is better for you…

If this isn’t helpful (or I’ve misunderstood the issue), then please set your debug level to 5 (in Ecobee Suite Manager preferences) and then send me (via PM) the snippet of your Live Logging for the Contact SmartApp, starting when the door first opens, through to where you think the state is messed up. A before and after snapshot of the SmartApp’s state would also be helpful (IDE / My Locations / Smartapps / and open Contact_SmartApp in another Tab/Window so that you can copy it for me).

My bad, I’m on 2.4. I use your repo to update and there are no helper apps to install and everything is up to date.

My bad - you will need to completely reinstall the new Ecobee Suite 1.5 from the new repo, from scratch. I had to change the name and namespaces in version 1.4, so you can’t just upgrade over the 1.2 installation.

Thanks!
Barry

No worries. I got the old version completely deleted. Thanks.

I believe there is something weird going on with 1.5. I came from 1.4 which I had very little issues with (after a few bug fixes). I am using the smart mode/routine helper and it has been very inconsistent for me. When I look under the device history I can see that it gets set to the correct mode (Home) initially, but then randomly gets set to the wrong mode (sleep). I have no idea how the thermostat could be entering Sleep mode. Our house mode changes based upon who is home. In the below screenshots you can see that at 1:50 PM the first presence sensor arrived and the mode changed once. Then at 1:52 the 2nd presence sensor arrives and the mode changes once more. Both modes in the routine helper are configured to set the ecobees to the same mode, but it gets kicked into Sleep some how. This doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it catches me off guard because typically the thermostat has been at the wrong setting for hours costing us lots of money in the extremely hot summer we’ve been having here (90F-100F every day).

@tscan

Indeed, something weird looks to be going on here.

Have you looked at the Events history for the thermostat device(s) when this happens? That will show the actual source of the command to change programs/climates. It looks like the Routine set a Hold: Home request when the scheduled program was Sleep - and I’m guess you don’t have Sleep scheduled at 1:52pm. There could perhaps be a race condition between the Climate change request and the fan mode request. It would be helpful to know from the Thermostat devices the actual sequence and source of the command requests.

Please PM me those Event history reports, if possible - starting from before the initial climate change request is made.

It will also be helpful if you can send the Live Logging for the Helper app(s), the Thermostat Device(s) and Ecobee Connect when this happens…

I started getting this error this morning

Signing back into Ecobee seems to have fixed the error and my thermostat is now working properly.

Hmmm…second report of this sort of error, yet none of my code has changed for 3 weeks. It appears as if the tokens are getting corrupted within the Ecobee Suite Manager SmartApp.

If you manually re-authenticate to Ecobee, does the problem go away? IF so, could you please:

1. Look at the State record for Ecobee Suite Manager, and save the (working) values for ‘accessToken’, ‘authToken’ and ‘refreshToken’.
  2. When the noted error occurs again (if it occurs again), note the same 3 tokens and tell me which ones no longer match.

To get to the state record for a SmartApp, go to My Locations in the IDE, then select ‘smartapps’ for your location. In that list, right click on your Ecobee Suite Manager link, and open in a new page. Search in that page for ‘Token’.

@martino11 - if you are still having the same problem, please do the same.

Please send me responses via PM (you should never post your tokens publicly).

I’m using Smart Mode 1.4.06 with the 1.5 Suite to turn off the compressor on cooler summer nights so I can open the windows. However, I don’t want to do this if it’s too humid outside. So I’m wondering if it’s possible to either add humidity as another parameter or use the Feels Like temperature from Wunderground. Thanks for this awesome suite! It really makes puts the Ecobee on another level above the Nest.

Hmmm… I doubt you want the AC to turn off if the windows aren’t actually open, right? And vice versa - you don’t want to be cooling when the windows are open, either.

How about turning the use case around - put a open/close sensor on your window(s), and then use Smart Contacts to turn off the AC when the window is opened, and return to normal programming when the window/s is/are closed.

Wouldn’t that approach work better, with less chance of trying to cool the outside?

BTW - you should be using Smart Mode version 1.5.00 with the 1.5 Suite - all of the device handlers and SmartApps had their version numbers updated to 1.5.* with the release of the Suite.

I’d like to combine both use cases. My open/close sensors are arriving today and I’ll be creating a Smart Contacts rule to turn off the AC when a window is opened and return to normal when all windows are closed. However, I also would like to turn off the AC anyway when the weather is cool enough outside when all the windows are closed. I often just don’t realize that outside is cool enough to have the windows open to cool the apartment.

BTW - you should be using Smart Mode version 1.5.00 with the 1.5 Suite - all of the device handlers and SmartApps had their version numbers updated to 1.5.* with the release of the Suite.

I upgraded from 1.4 using the Community Installer and ended up with v1.5 for all the SmartApps except Smart Mode for some reason. How can I fix this?

First - thanks for highlighting the problem for me - turns out that I forgot to add/edit Smart Mode in the Community Installer package definition.

Fixed now, you should be able to re-run the installer.

I’ll take a look at adding humidity, but it may be a while…I’m working on a few other things at the moment…

Fixed now, you should be able to re-run the installer.

I have v1.5 of Smart Mode now.

I’ll take a look at adding humidity, but it may be a while…I’m working on a few other things at the moment…

Sounds great. Thanks!

1 Like

I did a little more research into the muggy feeling and have concluded that the best measure would be a combination of temperature and dew point. Could you implement that instead of humidity? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/07/12/stop-telling-us-to-use-percent-humidity-its-terrible-and-heres-why/

Also, is it possible to fork your repo and implement a single Smart App?

Sorry, but I don’t understand the question.

Could you please describe what you are wanting to effect? Is it “Turn off the AC if the outside temp is below 70 degrees, unless the dew point is higher than 65 degrees?” Or something else?

I was able to figure out how to modify the Smart Mode App to attempt creating an incomplete, temporary version that factors in dewpoint for Wunderground. I might take a stab at finishing the implementation and submitting a PR if I’m successful.

Could you please describe what you are wanting to effect? Is it “Turn off the AC if the outside temp is below 70 degrees, unless the dew point is higher than 65 degrees?” Or something else?

That’s exactly right. For now I’m going to hard code a fixed 65 degree dew point check into the Smart App.

I think this is what he refers to

3 Likes