[DEPRECATED] Free Ecobee Suite, version: 1.5.*

Thanks for the follow up. I went ahead and removed the application from within Ecobee’s site and reattached the accounts. I’ve been having some up and down internet issues, would that possibly cause the connection to get “stuck” in this loop?

EDIT: Meant to note that this did fix the connection and smartthings now reports properly. I did this a few days ago as well and it worked for maybe 12 hours?

If everything is working correctly, it should stay connected indefinitely - mine has maintained the connected for several months…

1 Like

Can someone please point me in the right direction. I am looking for detailed instructions on how to set this up to use the average temperature from all sensors or even better set the target temperature of each room and have the unit run untill all rooms are at their set temperature. I am using ecobee 3 with a few remote sensors and I also have some of the osram sensors connected to smart things. Ideally I would like to use all of the sensors if possible. Please help!!!

My free Suite does not support the functionality of using non-Ecobee sensors.

Generally I would suspect that it is usually the same room that needs longer cooling than the others. If true, you should be able to get that room cool by setting the Ecobee thermostat to use an Ecobee sensor in that room as its ONLY thermometer source.

Yeah it was working really well for me the past couple of weeks but then suddenly started doing this. It’s been working since I last posted but suddenly stopped today. It just seems to suddenly get stuck and never get out of that funk. The power never went out and as far as I can tell neither did the internet.

The only thing that happened different today as opposed to the other days was that I manually invoked my Armed - Away status instead of letting it automatically happen. Getting the same errors in the live logging that we saw above.

Checked firewall logs and did not find anything being blocked when it’s reaching out either. Funny thing is, if I re-login/authorize the connection it starts working again for a little.

Any thoughts?

Events:

So far, I have not heard this happening anywhere else recently. I myself manually activated Away earlier today on 2 different thermostats, and it worked flawlessly.

So, to track this down, next time it happens, you should:

• enable Debug Log level 4 or 5 in Ecobee Suite Manager/Preferences,

• login to the IDE and run Live Logging,

• re-authorize via Ecobee Suite Manager

After it reconnects, leave live logging running. If/When it disconnects again, we need to look back in the logs for both the Manager and the Thermostat device, looking for the first “Error” after you re-authorized.

Hopefully those logs will give me a hint where things are breaking down.

BTW- where are you physically? Do you know which Amazon/Ecobee servers you are connected to (US, EMEA, Canada, etc)? There might be issues in your particular server complex.

Thanks!
Barry

1 Like

Alright. I’ve got level 5 debugging enabled and running in IDE. I noticed something about an expired token when debugging was on, before i reauthorized.

Either way, it’s all set now. As far as Amazon servers I think it’s us-east-2 based off of past experience. (Midwest/United States)

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for your assistance!

i m trying to reinstall. but i m not able to remove “sandood : Ecobee Suite Manager” from my smartapps. error

i m able to remove both handler, i m still not able to search any ecobee device

thx for all the help

That error usually requires assistance from SmartThings support. Send them an email, explaining what specifically you are trying to remove, and they should be able to fix it quickly.

Thanks!
Barry

Hey guys,
Trying to get my modes working properly with webCoRE. What I’m trying to do is have the Ecobee mode sync with the mode changes so I don’t have to set a specific temperature point in CoRE, allowing me to say have home mode set to 65, and when I feel like it, change that to 70 right from the Ecobee. What’s the best way for me to set that up? Should I be using the helper smart apps? I’m not seeing any options in webCoRE that seem to allow me to set the mode there.

Chris

While you can change modes via WebCore, the simpler way is to use the Mode/Routine/Program Helper - it can change the themostat programs when you ST mode changes (or a routine runs), and it can also do the opposite (set ST mode to Vacation whenever the Thermostat changes to Vacation mode, for example)

To use WebCore is more complicated, but the documentation lists the commands and arguments to use; read the Thermostat source for the specific details.

But like I said, not necessary - the preferred route is the Helpers because I’ve already done all the error handling for you.

Thanks!
Barry

Hi Barry, I’m finally upgrading from 1.29 to the latest version. The only problem I am having is I cannot access the Helper Smart Apps in the Ecobee Connect SmartApp to remove the Mode Program Handlers. When I try to go into any of the handlers I get a spinner and then the SmartThings app freezes and I can’t get out. I have to restart the SmartThings app.

Can I continue uninstalling the app and Ecobee sensors without this step?

I’m not sure how much this helps, but it happened again. Problem is that live logging seems to drop after 24 hours or so of running? Then i have to refresh, login, etc.

Now one thing that I can tell you is that my internet was out for a little around 6:00pm though the ecobee stops reporting statuses around 8:12pm per the events in the device itself.

Here’s what we’re seeing, basically the same thing:

11:09:53 PM: info LOG: Updating API status with [apiConnected:full, lastPoll:full @ 2018-07-05 20:12:23 EDT]
11:09:53 PM: error LOG: refreshAuthToken() - HttpResponseException occurred. Exception info: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Bad Request StatusCode: 400
11:09:53 PM: trace LOG: refreshParams = [method:POST, uri:https://api.ecobee.com, path:/token, query:[grant_type:refresh_token, code:REDACTED, client_id:REDACTED]]
11:09:53 PM: trace LOG: Performing a refreshAuthToken()
11:09:53 PM: trace LOG: Entered refreshAuthToken()
11:09:53 PM: trace LOG: Entered refreshAuthToken()

Device logs are looking like this:
2018-07-05 9:15:38.340 PM EDT
2 hours ago APP_COMMAND generateEvent Ecobee Suite Manager sent generateEvent command to Ecobee true
2018-07-05 9:15:23.819 PM EDT
2 hours ago COMMAND generateEvent generateEvent command was sent to Ecobee true
2018-07-05 9:15:23.809 PM EDT
2 hours ago COMMAND generateEvent generateEvent command was sent to Ecobee true
2018-07-05 9:15:23.659 PM EDT
2 hours ago APP_COMMAND generateEvent Ecobee Suite Manager sent generateEvent command to Ecobee true
2018-07-05 9:15:23.655 PM EDT
2018-07-05 8:29:40.541 PM EDT
3 hours ago DEVICE activity offline Your SmartThings device Ecobee is now offline true
2018-07-05 8:28:36.105 PM EDT
3 hours ago COMMAND ping ping command was sent to Ecobee true

Now this is exactly when the temperature/status reports stopped coming in. It looks like because the ecobee went offline it just never came back? Seems like my API token changes if my internet goes out or something to that effect…What’s weird is that the ecobee never showed the above “is now offline” message when my internet was out the first time.

EDIT: Side note, I can control my ecobee just fine from their website.

hi Barry,

would you also be adding an option to install the ecobee switch+ ? Currently using your SmartApp and the generic one for the Switch+. Occasionally the generic one tries to take over the thermostats and sensors and causes issues.

thanks

Hi Barry, I’m a new user and just installed v1.5 yesterday. Two questions… 1- do I need to completely delete/uninstall the old ecobee connect smartapp (not your previous versions, but the app provided by smartthings)? As you know there are two devices for the same thermostat after your install. 2- it seems like the app interface is “stuck”, please see the screenshot below:

It never seems to change from the “cooling to 84” message, even though the current temp is 82 and the thermostat is set to 83. Please note, that I have not made any other changes to either the old ecobee connect app, or your v1.5 app, so all of the settings should be in the default conditions.

Thank you, and thanks for building a great app!

Sorry for the delayed response.

1. No, you do not have to remove the old Ecobee device handler, but once you get my new 1 running, you
    shouldn’t need it (unless you also have Ecobee switches).
  1. No, it doesn’t look like you are “stuck” - you are suffering from a UI bug in SmartThings’ implementation for Android - it says “Cooling TO 84.0” when it should say “Cooling AT 84.0” (as it does on the iOS version). It is supposed to say “Cooling to…” when the thermostatOperatingState is ‘cooling’, and “Cooling at…” when thermostatOperatingState is ‘idle’ (as it is in your screen shot).

I have complained to ST about this UI difference multiple times - and they even fixed it once, only to regress again later. Best I can suggest is for everyone to report it to them again, but they usually just say “sorry, no support for custom Device Handlers.”

Maybe. Last time I looked Ecobee had not released the new API for the switches, but I haven’t checked in a while.

Not sure why the stock DTH would “take over” the thermostats or switches - the API is designed to allow multiple apps to use the same devices at the same time…

Sorry for the delayed response.

Indeed, Live Logging will drop when your internet connection goes out. The only way around that is to monitor the Live Log from another location/internet connection (phone or tablet, maybe?).

What is weird is that you are losing token validity from the SmartThings cloud server to the Ecobee cloud server - none of the code is actually running at your ST hub. I guess ST could be doing something if it loses connection to your hub, but the only time this SHOULD cause a problem is when Ecobee can’t connect to your thermostat - only then you should see the ‘…offline…’ message.

We really need to see what is going on when the very first error is reported in the logs; I suspect the first error isn’t an auth token error, but something else.

Probably better you PM me your logs instead of posting here…

@johnahesch - double check that you have installed ALL of the new Helper apps - I added at least one since 1.29, and you’ll get that spinner if you haven’t installed the new ones AND updated all the old ones (version numbers and names all have to match)…

Barry,

I think I may have found a bug in the Contact Helper app.

Simply put it appears that it doesn’t validate if a door has been closed between each minute. The situation is this. The helper smart app is setup with a 2 min delay. My dog goes out in one minute and then comes back in the next minute. In between her leaving the house the door is closed. When you look at the Activity Feed in the Moible app. You can see the helper app detect the door open and marks the task as true. Then you see the door close. The next minute you see the door open again and the helper app have it marked as true again and t hen sends the notification.

I feel like the simplest solution to prevent this for me is to simply set the value to 3 min instead of 2, but it may be something you want to look at. I think this has also happened when we are bringing in grocercies from the the Garage. Simply put the repetative opening and closing of the garage door would certainly allow for two active events in 2 continuous minutes.