[DEPRECATED] Ecobee DTH and Helper SmartApps

I think I found the problem.
Line 186
def HVACModeState = atomicState.HVACModeStateState
should be
def HVACModeState = atomicState.HVACModeState

when a contact is opened it checks the current state, and if its already off, it doesn’t go any further. Since the variable is wrong, it is not seeing that its already off. That causes it to send the notification again, and turn the thermostat off again. Then that triggers a state change, and it saves both the current state and the previous state as “Off”. Then when all the contacts are closed, it tries to restore the previous state, which is “Off”.

I made the edit locally and I’ve been testing it out. So far that seems to have resolved the issues that I reported.

Thanks, Ben!

I am so sorry to have caused you the inconvenience.

Today is a travel day for me, but I will get the edit posted ASAP.

Barry

Fix for ecobee-open-contacts.groovy version 1.0.8 posted.

No problem at all!
Thanks for posting the update.

Hello,
I am unable to open the Helper SmartApps settings on the Ecobee (Connect) SmartApp on my IOS Smarthings app.
Here is what I have done so far.
I un-installed the previous Ecobee Thermostat SmartApp(s) and Device Type Handlers by StrykerSKS
I installed the Ecobee Thermostat SmartApp(s) and Device Type Handlers by SANdood.
Realized that I was unable to access the Helper SmartApps settings.

I un-installed the Ecobee Thermostat SmartApp(s) and Device Type Handlers by SANdood.
I installed the previous Ecobee Thermostat SmartApp(s) and Device Type Handlers by StrykerSKS.
I am now unable to access the Helper SmartApps Settings in StrykerSKS’s version as well.
Which made me think a problem is not with the smartapp/device handler and that is with my hub/smarthings app.
So I decided to do a Factor Reset on my Samsungs SmartThing Hub.
Removed the location on my SmartThings IOS App.
After I set up the Hub/SmartThings App.
I installed the Ecobee Thermostat SmartApp(s) and Device Type Handler By SANdood.
I still can’t access the Helper SmartApps Settings.

And that is where I am at now.
I do not know what else to try.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I loved the Ecobee Thermostat SmartApp(s) and Device Type Handler that was created and I don’t want to pay $20 for yracine’s version, when I know this has worked in the past.

Thanks
Timothy

Save your money - with this working for so many people, we just have to figure out why it doesn’t work for you…

After you installed (and published) the device handlers and the Helper Smart Apps, did you successfully configure your thermostat using Ecobee (Connect)?

By “Can’t Access”, does the list of Helper SmartApps open in Ecobee (Connect), and you can’t start any of the Helpers, or does the list not open at all.

If so, have you opened Live Logging in the IDE before trying the Helper Apps - if so, did you find any errors in Ecobee (Connect) when you try to access the SmartApps?

Have you tried starting/creating a helper app directly from Marketplace/SmartApps/My Apps ???

Coming over from Nest.
Recent ecobee4 user.

I cant get the status to show up. See below it has ??? Right in the middle.

I have done :white_check_mark: oath and nothing changes.

Side question how do i check if Ecobee is in away mode?

I suggest that you re-login to the Ecobee account - even if it says you are still connected (especially if you enabled Oath AFTER you first logged in to your Ecobee account). Then push the Refresh (Bee icon), and when it changes back to the bee, press it immediately again (this forces a complete refresh from Ecobee).

If that doesn’t work, open up Live Logging in your IDE, and watch the Ecobee (Connect) app when you do the two-consecutive-Refreshes, and let me know if it shows any errors.

When the thermostat changes program/climate, where the easy chair is shown will show the same House, Key or Moon icon (for Home, Away, Sleep, respectively).

Barry,

First I want to thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.
I greatly appreciate it.

Save your money - with this working for so many people, we just have to
figure out why it doesn’t work for you…

After you installed (and published) the device handlers and the Helper
Smart Apps, did you successfully configure your thermostat using Ecobee
(Connect)?

Answer - I was able to configure my thermostat using Ecobee (Connect) I see
my thermostat and sensor.

By “Can’t Access”, does the list of Helper SmartApps open in Ecobee
(Connect), and you can’t start any of the Helpers, or does the list not
open at all.

Answer -The list does not open up at all.

I installed the SmartThings app on my Android tablet and click on the
Helper SmartApps and it goes to a screen with an ! Something’s Wrong We
can’t load your screen right now, (Retry button).

If so, have you opened Live Logging in the IDE before trying the Helper
Apps - if so, did you find any errors in Ecobee (Connect) when you try to
access the SmartApps?

Answer - I checked the Live logs Ecobee (Connect) to and did not see
anything out of the ordinary or related to Helper Apps.

Have you tried starting/creating a helper app directly from
Marketplace/SmartApps/My Apps ???

Answer - Yes, I just tried it for both IOS and Android and I get the same
result.

I did think of one thing that I might have done that could possibly affect
something. Before I removed the Ecobee (connect) from StrykerSKS, I went
into the Helper SmartApps and removed my two Iphone Presence Sensors that
would notify the ecobee wither to be in home mode or away mode. I wish I
could give you more information about what I did but I don’t remember the
menu’s or setting names. Since I can’t access it now I can’t screenshot it.
Could that have effected it?

Thanks again for all your help.

Timothy

I restarted. Deleted app and thermostat and sensor. I
then added/published all ecobee groovy smartapps re did oath before login in with sanso ecobee connect.

How do i re add the thermostat and sensor to show on Smartthings dashboard among the other things.

Now when i do ‘add s thing’ the thermostat and sensor are not found although im able to see/select them in sanso ecobee connect instance.

Very confused :woman_shrugging:

Ok the sensor and thermostat is already there. Add a thing is not necessary, it seems.

I didn’t see them, i went pass them since the first time i tried installing the device names were ‘lil ecobee’ and ‘my ecobee’ but on this second run they have a prefix ‘Eco…’

Good to go now

Thanks for the oath tip to do it beforehand @storageanarchy. Looks vedddy nice :+1:t4:

@Smartphi -

Good to see you got it working.

Note that you don’t manually “Add a Device” with this implementation - it is a “Parent/Child” set of SmartApps and Device Type Handlers. This approach is also used by Smart Lighting, CoRE and many others.

Everything is created and configured using Ecobee (Connect) - this is the Parent App. The first time you run it, you create the connection to the Ecobee Cloud. Then the second time, you select the thermostats and sensors, and Ecobee (Connect) will create the Child devices for you - automatically. You also use Ecobee (Connect) to create and maintain the Helper Apps.

Enjoy!

@TimmmyCap -

I am sorry that you are still having problems.

Given that you said you did a complete factory reset and re-install of everything, I don’t think your removing the iPhone presence sensors has been causing these problems.

Just to double check - in addition to Ecobee (Connect), did you install, save and Publish each of the Helper SmartApps?

Also, are you unable to open the Helper list on BOTH your iOS and your Android devices?

Try this: Open Ecobee (Connect)(, scroll down to Preferences and open that tab. Set the Debug Level to 5, and then touch Done to exit the app. Open the IDE Live Logging, select ECobee (Connect) and then re-open Ecobee (Connect) and try opening the helper SmartApp page again. If you could send me the logging entries (via PM) it would be helpful…

Just a note regarding the smartapp menu issue being discussed… I have used your DTH & smartapps for a few months now, to great effect (migrated perfectly by raw code overwrite from SKS version). I setup a number of the helper smartapps to accommodate my needed automations with no issues. In a futile attempt to keep my installed apps to a minimum, I did NOT install one of the helpers (smart vents) as I currently do not have those in my house. Somewhere along the way, I stopped being able to access the helper menu, and just didn’t bother with it until recently, as I needed to make a settings change. What worked for me was installing the helper I didn’t need, and I could access the menu again. @storageanarchy, is there a reference/lookup in there somewhere that gets hung when it doesn’t find all the apps installed?

Yes, it appears that the parent/child relationship now causes the Parent app to verify the existence of all referenced child apps when the app(…) definition is executed. Supposedly, child apps do not need to be published, only saved, but I have not verified this.

I don’t know when this started, and I don’t see any way that it can be avoided short of commenting out any unused Helper child apps within the Ecobee (Connect) code itself.

Sorry about that…

FWIW to all readers, we have confirmed that ALL EIGHT of the associated SmartApps must be installed and saved within your IDE instance in order to be able to use the Helper SmartApps. Ecobee (Connect) must be saved AND published; according to SmartThings’ documentation, the other 7 must exist, but need not be published.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused…

I figured out how to enable the icons again…coming in the next update for both Sensors and Thermostat devices.

Looks great. Thanks!

1 Like

I have all 8 and all 8 are published. Is that OK?

Out of a reflex with smartapps, I published all of mine as well… no adverse effects detected.