[DEPRECATED] Ecobee DTH and Helper SmartApps

No, but you do have to remove any CoRE pistons that use the thermostat.

If you have no sensors, no need to remove them.

In your case, then, you should be able to de-select the (old) thermostat from Ecobee (Connect), exit, then re-enter and remove Ecobee (connect).

I think the trick is to do your removals from Ecobee (Connect), and not from the IDE…

(PS - if you view the thermostat device in the IDE (select it under My Devices), it should list the SmartApps that are using it…those are the ones you have to Remove (or edit to use a different device).)

Thanks for the great work so far. Is there a way to change the icon?

I do not have a thermostat device as i removed it when it dident work. I have also now removed every entry in every smart app or routine that had anything to do with a thermostat. all that remains is ecobee sensor (witch says it’s still in use by ecobee connect) and ecobee connect (witch says it is still used but it lists the old thermostat witch is deleted.

In the phone app there it only has the option for the thermostat witch is the new one and not selected

I got it never mind. the watchdog devices looked grayed out to me but i could click on it and remove them.

1 Like

Which icon would you like to change?

Great!

Just be sure NOT to include the Ecobee thermostat or sensors in the list of Ecobee (Connect) Watchdog Devices - otherwise, every time the temperature is updated the watchdog will force another poll to see if there are any updates (which of course there won’t be).

Watchdog devices should only be used with polling frequency greater than 2 minutes, and the devices ideally should be only temp, humidity and/or maybe motion - the idea is to generate a “random” poll because something probably has changed on the thermostat and you want it reflected in the ST device. The original purpose of Watchdog devices (to catch missed ST scheduled events) is now handled internally to the implementation.

Hi, Thank you for this. This works on my Ecobee 3 Lite.

I do have an issue though. My schedule is not being followed. I have the thermo set for 82 and it is running at 75 right now. In your SApp I cant even adjust the temp. So this brings up two questions

1. Without looking at by HVAC what determines if the AC is running? A blue icon for the Cooling Snowflake?

2. I assume there is a conflict between the ecobee schedule and Smartthings. What is the logic?

3. Can a notification be set up every time the AC turns on?

@BBoy486 -

The SmartThings Device Type Handler I provide does not have its own schedule - it merely reports what the Ecobee oy486 API returns as the status for the thermostat. The blue snowflake (for example) is displayed by my DTH when the Ecobee cloud says that the equipment is in Cooling state. It also turns the main tile background blue, and at the bottom it should report “Cooling to XX”, where XX is the current cooling setpoint that the Ecobee thermostat is currently set to.

This “Cooling to” number should match what is shown on your actual thermostat, although it can be different for the following reasons:

1. While NOT cooling (idle), you should see “Cooling at YY”, where YY is the number XX that you have set as the cooling setpoint, PLUS the cooling differential that you have configured on the thermostat itself. This is found in the Settings/Installation settings/Threshholds menu. I think the default is 1 degree, so if your setpoint is 72, cooling won’t actually be called for by the thermostat until the temperature exceeds 73 degrees.
  2. While Cooling, the system may intentionally OVER-cool if the Humidity exceeds the defined setpoint, AND you have enabled Dehumidify using AC in the System menu. If this is turned On, the ecobee thermostat will run the AC to a tempearture up to ZZ degrees lower than your setpoint. ZZ is configured in Settings/Installagion settings/Thresholds/Overcool Max. I’m not sure what the default is.

If neither of the above are responsible for your thermostat cooling below the setpoint that is displayed on the thermostat, I’m at a loss - you should probably call Ecobee support. There really isn’t anything that my DTH could be doing to cause the thermostat to call for cool below the actual setpoint - that is really all controlled by the thermostat itself.

On the other hand, it is possible that my DTH is reporting the wrong values for temperature and/or setpoint, although this usually clears itself up in a few minutes if everything is installed correctly. If the numbers aren’t matching, you probably should double check your installation - you should re-install AND Publish EVERYTHING from my gitHub (even if you aren’t using any of the helper apps):

• Ecobee (Connect)
  • Ecobee Thermostat
  • Ecobee Sensor
  • ecobee Open Contacts
  • ecobee Routines
  • ecobee Smart Circulation
  • ecobee Smart Room
  • ecobee Smart Switches
  • ecobee Smart Vents
  • ecobee Smart Zones

NOTE: You MUST install and update ALL of these from MY Github repository - you cannot mix these with any other version of Ecobee SmartApps or Device Type Handlers!

Hopefully this helps solve your problem - if not, please post a screen shot of the thermostat device so I can see what it thinks is going on (I just need 1 shot of the top screenful of the DTH display).

Very easily, using CoRE. You want to monitor the thermostat device’s attribute “thermostatOperatingState” for a change to “cooling”,

Note that the notice can be delayed by up to Polling Interval minutes - if set to 3, you might not get notified until three minute after it starts cooling; for best results, I would recommend you configure a Polling Interval of 1 minute.

Was looking to change the Icon for each “Thing” for both the sensor and thermostat. Similar to how other things lets us choose from available icons.

Unfortunately, it appears that if you set an icon for a Thermostat device using the multiAttributeTile, the temperature display on the tile changes to tiny font; with no icon change enabled we get the large font you see today. If there is a way around that, I don’t know what it is.

If you really want it, you can add ‘canChangeIcon: true’ to the multiAttributeTile definition.

That is odd the way that works. I appreciate you checking.

Hi Barry,

I was away on a youth retreat weekend, so I wasn’t able to test this until this morning.

I had to create a “Vacation Cancel” helper app that has the same parameters as my “Resume” helper app, but with “cancel vacation” instead of “resume program”. I then created a vacation in Ecobee, set my hub to away and the “Vacation” program on the Ecobee stayed. I set my hub to home and the “Vacation” program cleared, so your changes are doing what they’re supposed to do.

Thanks for making those changes. Your DTH and apps let ST and my Ecobee work together exactly as I’d like them to.

–Dave

1 Like

Just an FYI -

I’m going to have to re-implement “Cancel Vacation” as an option to the Change Program in the Routine/Mode/Program Helper SmartApp, so that you can cancel the vacation (if active) AND change the program to Home/Away/Night (ResumeProgram is currently implied if you select Cancel Vacation)…

I plan to implement later today…

2 Likes

If I just have the Helper SmartApp set to “Cancel Vacation”, will it “Resume” even if the Ecobee is not running a Vacation program? Right now I have two helper apps, one set to “Resume” and the other set to “Cancel Vacation”.

When you cancel a vacation, the thermostat immediately goes back to the currently scheduled program.

Your “resume program” is ignored if the thermostat is in Vacation mode, by the way. So, depending upon the order the two get executed, the resume program currently isn’t doing anything anyway.

Now I understand. I just need a “cancel vacation” and it will cancel a vacation if there is one, but it always resumes to the scheduled program.

That’s what is supposed to happen.

To be double-sure, the new implementation will allow you to select “Cancel Vacation if active?” and then have it change to a specific program on the thermostat, or resume program. This will ensure you are back to the scheduled program,…of course you might want to override to make sure that the thermostat is in the Home program - you’ll be able to choose that option also…

Is probably going to be a couple of days - I’m also in the midst of making Fan Off actually work (I have to turn off the HVAC unit also…) Plus (hopefully) the next release will allow you to select hourly holds (e.g. Hold for 2-4-6-8-12-14 hours).

Hi Barry,
I’m having a problem with the app. I’m using the helper app for Contacts & Switches. I have had it setup so that it monitors 5 window/door sensors and when they have been open for 5 minutes the thermostat switches to off and sends a push notification, then when they are all closed the thermostat switches to auto and send another push notification.
It was working just like that until a couple days ago when I updated everything from GitHub. Since the update there are a couple behaviors that I have noticed that have changed.

1. When it detects the contacts open for the set amount of time it sends the push notification, but may or may not turn off the thermostat.
  2. If there are multiple contacts open and the notification has already been sent, then you close/open one of those contacts, leaving the rest untouched, an additional push notification is sent saying that the thermostat is being shut off. Previously it would only notify you once when the threshold passed and the thermostat was shutoff then again when all of the contacts were closed and the thermostat was turned back on.
  3. If the contacts have been open for a while, push notifications are sent every few hours even if no contact changes state.
  4. When all of the contacts are closed, the thermostat may not turn back on.

I went through and made sure all of the helper apps were installed and up to date. Then yesterday I deleted all the rules, removed the devices, deleted all the device handlers and the smartapps and reinstalled everything from github, published everything and setup the devices and rules again.

The current running version of the app according to the settings page is 1.1.9. Aside from that helper app, I haven’t noticed any other strange behaviors with the apps. The controls from the tiles all seem to be functioning. I have the Mode/Routine apps setup to change the thermostat to Away/Home/Sleep based on the Smarthings Hello Modes and that is running well too.

Thanks!