[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

with this device handler have it turn on the light ni the room when it detects presence.

She likes to see the room with the night vision without activating light (like our foscams do). Sheā€™s grown accustomed to seeing in the dark. :slightly_smiling:

I think these would work though for some areas we donā€™t need to ā€œsee in the darkā€. Goldarn cool cameras.

1 Like

yeah I ordered 2 when I saw this code pop up. just to play with a bit. I wonder what their range is I would like to put one in my shed about 100 feet away

Does this integration allow for live streaming and if so do these blink cameras work outside (backyards in AZ)?

Mine has been working great outside under my overhang mostly protected from any moisture for the last 2 months or so. NJ weather. So far the battery is holding up just fine.

Anyone know the answer to my second question by chance?

The camera does not need much light for a good video. I have mine outside on my covered porch. It takes perfectly good video at night with just my porch light on. It is about 15ft from the light and the light is an led 60w equivalent set to 60% power. I do not use the cameraā€™ s illuminator.

The camera needs to be in range of its sync module and wifi. 100ft is at the limit of the sync module as indicated by Blink. One of my cameraā€™s is about 50ft (through 3 rooms) away from the sync module and only has 1 bar of signal strength.

The Blink camera is not rated for outdoor use. Mine has been outside (also in NJ), but protected from the elements, for almost 2 months with no issues. It has survived temps as low as 0Ā°f. I donā€™t know how it will do with high temps. It does support live streaming from its own app but not in ST.

1 Like

From the FAQs in the first post:

1. How do I get notified of updates to the code?
    Subscribe to our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/RBoySTApps or monitor this thread.
1 Like

Guh, I really am illiterate! Was that there the entire time?

I was a little concerned when I ordered them but now prefer the LED light. The image is full color compared with night vision. As a security camera, identifying a burglar and scaring them away is more important than stealth.

It doesnā€™t work as a baby monitor, however.

2 Likes

man I wish I could get notified another way. I have a few of your apps and hate Facebook

She likes to visually confirm the garage door is downā€¦canā€™t do with Blink without activating light, etc. Night vision wins there.

However, I am looking at using it to affix to inside of a window pointed out (as example in their FAQ), and when our outdoor motion sensor goes off, it triggers the camera to light and record. We have some ā€œtrafficā€ on one side of the house and someone tried to peek in onceā€¦so this seems like it would work. The PIR itself cant detect motion though a window, but I can use another sensor to detect and then activate camera I think.

Weā€™ve had a few ghost alerts from the basement theatre smartthings motion sensorā€¦so one there would make wife happy to see with light on, and video if sensor detected etcā€¦

end resultā€¦just have to think hard to justify the addiction!

At present the camera only records when it detects motion. You can not make it record.

Crapola. Misread that. Back to the drawing board.

but in RoyBoys app cant you see a live view?

You asked and itā€™s finally here:
Version 2.0.0
Support for Detection and Reporting Motion events to ST. Also included a few actions in the SmartApp to take once a motion is detected (turn lights on, turn on alarm, multi user SMS notifications, push notifications etc) .
The device is exposed as motion sensor to any Routine/SmartApp can use it as motion sensor to take actions.
The default inactivity timeout is 2 minutes (cumulative after last motion is detected to replicate motion sensor behavior). Itā€™s set to 2 minutes to avoid multiple repetitive motion events as the minimum resolution to detect motion is 1 minute.

7 Likes

From the FAQs in the first post:

10.I donā€™t see any video or how do I see my motion video clips?
ST does NOT support video feeds from 3rd party cameras so please donā€™t send me eMails asking if the device supports video. ST ONLY supports pictures/images which is what this Device provides for now.

If Blink could ONLY report motion and NOT record video, then I could replace my Aeon multi-sensors.

Set the video to 1 second recording - why does it matter, itā€™s on the cloud?

1 Like

So I can, using the vernacular of the Blink app, arm/disarm using this app and routines. Big improvement and well worth the price of the app. Whether I get motion alerts depends on whether that particular camera is enabled based on the last setting, which I can now change via ST or Blink. Iā€™d love to able to automatically do the latter using routines. I donā€™t think the app currently supports this so request as a feature in a future release. Thanks!