[DEPRECATED ] Automatic Connected Car- Integration with SmartThings

This exception is due to the previous exception submitted to Automatic. There is a SSL handshaking issue that Automatic needs to fix first.

This is not related to my code. It’s related to some backend issue between ST and Automatic.

P. S. The person who said it’s fixed is not from Automatic, and doesn’t know the context.
Regards

Since you understand it better would you mind responding to the thread so that the automatic folks understand the specific issue we are looking for in the thread (it seems a little hijacked at the moment).

Thanks!

The thread is a way to bump the issue on the Automatic side. What I need is someone responding to my support ticket. As soon as someone is assigned to the support ticket, then a solution may be found.

Yea, probably can’t help you there…

For what it’s worth I opened a case with Automatic to help bring attention to this. I have a Pro which works great. I had a great experience with their support in the past. It is a shame to see it decline since SiriusXM took over.

EDIT: Support responded to my ticket within 2 hours. They are looking for trace logs and claim there is no SSL problem and that everything has been fixed.

I cannot send logs as I am using a very old and slightly patched version of this integration and am not experiencing any issues with Automatic. Automatic is willing to help but someone who has the issue needs to work with them directly.

@slagle, @Brad_ST, @vlad, @jody.albritton

Can somebody help on the ST side to solve the issue described below?

This Automatic integration has been running for more than 2 years now. However, recently, there has been some SSL exception thrown in live logging when doing the oauth2 flow with Automatic.

47bee69b-cc9f-4e06-aeba-744fe57cd5a6 7:59:07 AM: error javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

Here is the response from Automatic today about my support ticket (#926).

Jonathon Klobucar (Automatic)

Dec 14, 6:31 PM PST

If our SSL handshake is failing then there is a problem in the smart things library not supporting TLS 1.2 or SNI. As we don’t have an official integration we have no feedback from smartthings, or a trace to tell me why the handshake is bad.

An SSL test is passing
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=accounts.automatic.com&s=54.192.142.207&latest

Is Smart things on java 7 or java 8?

Basically, now the ball is on the SmartThings side. The last time I contacted ST support about the SSL handshake issue (so that they refer it to the ST engineering team), they recommended to post it here and contact some ST engineers.

Kyle H. (SmartThings)

Nov 20, 5:36 PM MST

Hey there,

It could defiantly be on Automatics side, so I would be sure to contact them and see if they have made any changes on their end.

The best way to get in contact with one of the engineers would be to post in the community. That is where the engineers really can help with integrations like this. I do wish I could help more with this but again this is support so there isn’t much else I can do.

Lots of them are very active in the community so I would defiantly go that route and see if you can get them to help you out there.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Kyle H.

I’m a little skeptical it is an issue with automatic; took a quick looksie at their APIs, and they seem to work (and their example code hasn’t changed in 2-3 years).

It is just a simple node.js app but it does oauth properly and gets a token…

Yes, that’s why I’m asking SmartThings help based on the info provided by Automatic and their backend . But, nobody from ST has responded so far…

@Lars, can somebody in the ST engineering team help me with this SSL handshaking issue with Automatic above?

Regards.

Is this issue the reason the DH seems to be unavailable on your website (the listing doesn’t have a contribution link, etc)?

Thanks!

Yes, that’s the reason. I’ve tried to reach ST support & engineers to no avail. Till they help to solve the issue, I cannot ask for more contributions.

It’s too bad, the DTH has been running fine for more than 2 years, but I haven’t had any ST support on this for almost a month now.

If you’re interested in the Automatic integration, please open a support ticket or call for any ST engineer in this forum. I’ve done it myself, but I need more support from my contributors or potential contributors like you.
Regards.

2 Likes

Created a developer support ticket. Here’s hoping.

1 Like

Samsung dev responded saying they’d try to get a dev to take a look at this thread… guess the developer ticket system is for new SDK, not the “old” one (that’s what this forum is for).

Try passing: [tlsVersion: TLSv1.2] into the request params - that should make the client use tls 1.2

2 Likes

Hi @vlad,

Which oAuth request? The authorize one or the callback?

Regards.

I’ve tried on both. Here is the request:

def oauthParams = [
	response_type: "code",
	scope: "scope:public scope:user:profile scope:location scope:vehicle:profile " +
    	"scope:vehicle:events scope:trip scope:behavior"
	tlsVersion: "TLSv1.2",        
	client_id: stcid,
	redirect_uri: "${get_ST_URI_ROOT()}/oauth/callback"

]

I tried also to set it in the headers. I get the same exception in the logs:

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

Regards

Could you share your code (sorry if the dth is in this thread - can’t seem to find it)? This should work, we use tls 1.2 for a number of our cloud to cloud integrations and at first glance that snippet looks right. Pulling straight out of one of those integrations:

httpPost(uri: uri, tlsVersion: "TLSv1.2" ) { resp ->
}

In regards to which request, it would be whichever one is throwing the handshake exception.

2 Likes

OK, I made some code changes, and it works now… The tlsVersion was not at the right location.

Thnx Vlad for your help.

1 Like

Great - I’ll put in a ticket to get this documented apologies for the run around. Also just a heads up these types of questions are great to ask in the community Slack, Much easier to get the attention of a developer there than the official channels (Not the greatest situation but it is what it is…)

3 Likes

OK, Support told me to use the ST forum (see their post above)…Anyway, Slack is awfully quiet those days…The developers community is getting thinner it seems…