CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Ok thanks for the solution guys

Ok this piston Iā€™m getting really confused about. Sorry Iā€™m a noob. I tried changing the piston to WHILE so that it cycles but now it doesnā€™t seem to trigger. Can someone help as to why the piston wonā€™t trigger when set to Away mode?

Ok nevermind i think Iā€™ve totally messed it up. Lol.

Hi, everyone. Iā€™m new to CoRE, but I understand the concept somewhat as Iā€™m just now moving from Rule Machine (I know, Iā€™m ancient). CoRE looks way better, but itā€™s pretty intimidating. Iā€™m trying to compare two temperature sensors in my house and send an alert if they differ by more than a few degrees (and preferably an alert when they are back below the threshold as well). Any idea how to set this up? Thanks so much!

May I recommend skipping CoRE and going for webCoRE? :smiley:

Oh man, and I just installed CoRE too! :joy: Is webCoRE where the future work is going to be done? If so, Iā€™ll move over to it.

I figured out the comparison part. Just have to work on the notifications for switching between the states. I have a basic piston. Whatā€™s the easiest way to execute an action when a piston or condition is no longer true? Should I just make another piston or add a condition to the existing piston that is basically the reverse of what Iā€™m matching on, or is there an easier way?

Iā€™m having an issue- I want to setup a piston that checks the status of a device when a routine is run, and notify if its not in the proper state. Sounds easy right? The issue is the device I want to check is a custom devicehander (wemo coffeemaker) so Iā€™m not sure what I need to do in CoRE or what I need to change in the devicehandler to make this work.

Is there a way to manually start a piston? What I want is a way to start an overhead fan at high speed and then after 30 minutes to slow the fan down to a slow speed. I have written a piston that will do this when i turn the fan on but I donā€™t want that every time.

why not make a virtual switch and trigger it based on that? then you can just use that switch when you want that function.

1 Like

Hit its Test button? :wink:

Sounds,easy. Where would I find the test button?

Ok. That would work even better. I see an faq that shows how. Thanks

CoRE or webCoRE?

In CoRE you can create a ā€œtapā€ and thenkickstart it from the CoRE dashboard. webCoRE did not yet get the taps - but you can test the piston from the dashboard - the equivalent of Simulate in CoRE.

Used the virtual switch and it did just what i was looking for.
Thanks

My auto goodnight piston is not working, not sure whatā€™s happening.
Basically what I want is if time is between 11:30 PM and 5:00 AM, and all of the few motion sensor is inactive, then run the good night piston.

Do you need the wait for false state?
Iā€™d try it without it as you want the piston to be true.

But I want all of those motion sensorā€™s to be inactive for at least 10 minā€¦ There may be time when Iā€™m still downstairs, watching TV or anything and knowing me, I would trip the motion sensor within 10 mins for sureā€¦ this way I can make sure that Iā€™m retired for the day.

Is there any other way to make sure Iā€™m done for the day and then run good night?

The wait will take care of the False state. It is not needed.

To be honest, the built in Good Night Routine works really good for this. I have mines on a 30 minutes and starting at a specific time. I use a backup webCoRE Piston just in case it didnā€™t fire after a specified time.

It works when configured for specif time, but I do not know that specific time.
I need to run it based on occupancy of first floorā€¦
If after xx PM if first floor is empty for minimum 10 minutes run good night.

Let me check if in default good night routing, I can configure for motion sensors or not, but my guess we canā€™t.

the wait will just wait, what if once all motion sensors are inactive, i forgot to take something and come back again within a min? It wonā€™t reset the timer, will it?