CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Sorrybut I’ve been seriously over thinking this.
Now I know exactly what you want this WILL work.
I hope. :wink:

No worries :sunglasses:

@bamarayne

I noticed you ‘LIKED’ this post of mine.
Was that ‘LIKE’ meant to say you’re going to give it a try?

Thanks for your help and feedback. For better organization, I decided to combine the six pistons into one. As you suggested, I paused the original six pistons and we will now see how the combined piston performs - both syntax/logic-wise, but also how its larger size impacts it.

Thanks again.:+1:

1 Like

Yes, exactly… To say I saw it too.

I’ve been at the beach all weekend… No work all play!

1 Like

OK, I’m ready to start playing with CoRE but I’m not sure how to get started. I have the smartapp installed correctly and it appears to be working, as in I can make a piston, it just doesn’t seem to work yet. Here’s what I want to do: when I tell Google to trigger my IFTTT command of good night, which will shut off my harmony activity to watch TV, CoRE will go ahead and turn off the rest of the lights downstairs. If I can do this without IFTTT, that’d be even better, but I think I’d need the command to trigger at the correct time. I’ve attached a pic of my current piston, so hopefully it helps to figure out what I’m doing wrong. Thank you in advance for any help!

So, I’ve set up a latching piston to turn on my office lights if one of the two motion sensors in the office is tripped. The “But” clause turns the lights off if both sensors are inactive. I tried to make the “But” clause the following, but it didn’t work:

But:
If MotionSensor1 stays inactive for 5 minutes AND If MotionSensor2 stays inactive for 5 minutes, then turn lights off.

This did not work because I think it is saying both sensors must be inactive for exactly 5 minutes at the same time for the lights to turn off. Is there a way to say something like this instead?

If MotionSensor1 stays inactive for at least 5 minutes AND If MotionSensor2 stays inactive for at least 5 minutes, turn lights off.

Trying to get a piston to check if a sensor is open or closed.

IF(sensor is open)
then ( wait 15m , send nofications, wait 15m , follow up with door check piston)

The second wait works but not the first one. please advise.

I do the following… it should work with any number of motion sensors in there. They all show no motion, start a timer with cancellation.

Noticed I cut off my image, sorry! The rest is to turn off the bulb, in the same action as the wait.

Try this… adjust the times as necessary for testing.

Will this do the following (Unlock the back door if either person comes home, but not if they just quickly drive by the home)
Additionally it will unlock regardless of whether either person is already home.

where is this interface located? I have core loaded on the phone app and it looks very different. but that first wait time is the one not working.

Make sure the tasks are in the same sequence so they don’t fire all at the same time.

You can view/take screenshots using the instructions below:

1 Like

Hello all…thanks for all the help you offer this community. First post here.

I would like to set up a piston that looks like this:

If the garage door has been open for > 10 minutes send push notification “Garage Door Left Open”

THEN

If the garage door is closed since the push notification was sent, send a push notification “Garage Door Has Been Shut”

I have a Linear garage door controller/tilt sensor. I am able to get the first part accomplished without issue, but i can’t get the follow up message to work. I have tried the THEN IF piston mode. Any ideas?

Thanks! So, I did have something similar to what you have but I thought of an issue and removed it. For the sake of argument, let’s say your motion sensors reset to “No motion” after 3 minutes and let’s say you want the piston delay to be 5 minutes after they go “inactive” before the bulbs turn off. Here is the scenario I was thinking about - maybe I am making it too complicated.

1. Let’s say both your sensors show inactive and the “Wait for 5 minutes” is triggered.
  2. Let’s say 2 minutes after that the piston enters the “wait” state, I walk back into the room and activate the motion sensors.
  3. Would the “wait” state be terminated or would it count down to 5 minutes and then turn the lights off?

Each time one of the sensors detects motion, after resetting to inactive, the wait is rescheduled. So, if during the 5 minute wait, a sensor sees motion, the current wait is cancelled and a new 5 minute countdown begins. This keeps the light on until there is no motion for 5 minutes.

Ah, thanks. So I’ll just add that wait period back into my existing piston and it should work. Thanks

Here is my pistion. the issue is the notification gets sent as soon as the door opens. otherwise seems to wait.

When you enter the “Wait 15 minutes” scroll down and you’ll see “Add a task”, that’s where you enter the Send Push, scroll down again and add another task, then Follow Up. Also, don’t forget the Cancel on piston/state change.

You need to put all the actions into one block.
The way you have it currently set, they all run at the same time.
Go to you first task and scroll down. You will see add task.
Edit. Beat me to it. :smile:

1 Like