CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Changing the level or color of a bulb will turn it on at those settings

1 Like

Cool I’ll work with this. What’s the TOS action.

1 Like

Thanks, between this and Michael’s I just might be able to figure it out. :blush:

1 Like

The Task Override Scope, I have set to Action. I don’t recall why or if that is still needed.

I have an Aeotec Smart Powerstrip. I can turn on/off individual sockets, but is there a way to get the power meter of individual sockets to set conditions?

Yeah using the Virtual Device Sync SA/DHT by @erocm1231:

I then use CoRE on those VS’s to do Piston actions when power changes.

Your using a trigger for the mode change. Whenever you use a trigger the piston will only subscribe to that and use the condition as a final check to execute a true or false. The {$currentEventDevice} will show just that because mode is not a device. Change it to Mode is one of and it should work how your expecting it to.

Or better yet scroll up to @eibyer post #5022 and use the matching device list variable and keep your mode as a trigger. This is how I have mine setup as well. It’s been perfect for months now.

Have you tried this with a latching piston? I think your problem is your trying to use a trigger in you first IF and a condition in your second IF. A latching piston will allow for this.

Awesome! Thank you

Ah so it does, sorry and thank you for the link! Something else learnt :sunglasses:

Attempting to setup a remote temp sensor to control my thermostat, save the initial temp setting them turn up the heat wait for the remote sensor to reach temp then reset the thermostat to its original setting. My second command I’d like the thermostat to return to its original setting, whatever is saved in that variable. Trouble is that it’s not. What am I missing?

Have a few scenarios that I think CoRE could help me out with, but wanted to make sure it’s something CoRE can do before I go about learning how to set things up.
First scenario is my office lights and ceiling fan. Lights are on a dimmer switch and fan is on smart fan control. Right now I have several smart lighting apps to turn my lights on when I open my office door. Based on time it sets the brightness of my lights. For example from 6:00-9:30, I want my lights set at 80%, from 9:30-4 I want them set at 30%, then from 4-9 back up to 80%. I would also like to independantly control the fan speed based on time. Right now with the smart lighting apps, I have to set both the light and the fan to the same percentage if I want to do this, or double my smart apps.

Similiar scenario with my stair lights, I have 6 LIFX bulbs that based on the time, or the state of the house (Night, home etc) I want to control how many of the lights come on and at what brightness.

I have 3-4 smart apps doing these things now, but if this is the type of thing that CoRE is really made for I want to start using it. Thanks

you can do all of this in one, maybe two pistons… depends on how in depth you want to go…

scroll through the posts and check out the examples that have been posted…

THIS IS POST 5000

3 Likes

You deserve it buddy! Congrats on winning the 5k! :grin:

1 Like

I’m not sure why this simple piston won’t work and it’s driving me nut. Obviously all I want to do is get the garage door to close after 5 minutes of no motion inside the garage. I’ve tried several variation of the piston and the result is the same. The issue I have right now is as soon as the garage door is open it will try to close it. I’m using smartapp LGK Virtual Garage Door, I’m speculating there could be something that is causing conflict between the two apps.

The Close task should be in the same Wait sequence.

Put the wait 5 mins and close in the same action.
At the moment they are 2 separate tasks snd will operate simultaneously.
EDIT: You may also want to change the ‘changes to’ to is. Otherwise even wbem you are moving about the piston will be false as changes to will be false.
EDIT 2:Also use Cancel on piston state change, in your then. ,{TCP}

omg! such a simple mistake! I totally feel stupid right now. @eibyer and @bobbles you guys are the best.

@bobbles can you elaborate on your edit 2? I didn’t do that and it works out just fine.

I have edited my post above. Not sure if you need these but that is how I would do it.
TheTCP means that while there is movent the 5 mins timer will not mature inless there is no movement and the motion sensor is inactive for 5 consecutive mnutes.