CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Ok I changed it to GET but still nothing happened.

Not sure if CoRE encodes the spaces in URL, give Acoustic%20Rock or Acoustic+Rock a try.

1 Like

Yes, that worked Acoustic%20Rock! You rock!

1 Like

Hey guys. First thanks for taking your time into helping others.
Second here is another alarm arm situation:
I would like to setup one piston that can handle triggering stay mode or away mode.
So if contacts 1,2,5 are off and motion 1,2 are inactive: for 2 hours then trigger stay.
For 10 hours: if presence sensors 1,2 are away then trigger away.

I would like to have this situation to be using the least memory and ressource as possible but still efficient.
Sorry if this has already asked and answered. I searched for days now for a concrete example.

Uhh, time to get URLs encoding properly :slight_smile: Thank you for pointing it out

2 Likes

Well, I would do a latching piston and setup Group Conditions. You have the concept in your description of what you want to do.

IF
Contacts 1 and 2 and 5 IS OFF
AND
Motion 1 and 2 is inactive
(When True
Wait 2 hours
Then Set Location Mode to Stay
Wait 10 Hours) - Cancel on State Change
OR
Both of Presence Sensor 1 and 2 are away
(When True
Set Location Mode to Away)

Something like this. Also have you looked at these? https://community.smartthings.com/t/share-core-show-tell-all-about-pistons/50255/12

1 Like

Oh that’s a goldmine! Thanks for the direction.

You are very welcome! It is hard when trying to figure this out. I am still learning and like to help out when I can. This forum is excellent and very helpful!

Hey guys any idea why my piston for my lights didn’t go off last night and was displaying Past Due?

Also, another quick question…I setup another Location that is my work. If I want to notify my hubby when I leave that location do I have to setup CoRE in that Location is there a way to do it under my Home location(where all my things are)? Hope I am explaining this correctly.

Question for the CoRE experts.

I have what I think is a lot of Pistons on a single install of CoRE. I currently have 32, but each piston is really like 6-10 pistons itself.

For example the 2 piston I have posted below.

Each OR is like it’s own piston. If I did each one of them as their own actual piston I would have ~250 pistons and they would be hard to manage.

What are you guys doing? Is this good or bad?

The 1 and 2 minutes are only for testing. I will eventually change to 2 and 10 hours

Is it like this? I don’t see your “OR
Both of Presence Sensor 1 and 2 are away” statement.

Will, you can definitely stream line a lot of this.

For example “everyone leaves” and “someone arrives”. Those two could be put into a single latching piston.

I thought I had a lot!

I’ve actually only got about 40 pistons total controlling 150 devices…
I’m also using about 30 smart lighting rules as well.

I used to have about 60 more (30 pistons & 30 macros) to run my text to speech. I’ve eliminated all of that into only 6.

Anyone in here who knows howto enable the noise sensor from Netatmo weather station to use with CoRE?

I wrote a custom app to handle all of my TTS notifications for alerts on contact sensors, water sensors, motion sensors… CoRE my have more options, but just too hard to change / configure for this kind of stuff.

My goal over the last 30 days has been to automate the $*&% out of my house. We went the entire weekend without touching a switch or using the app to control stuff. Used the echo about 4 times a day (never when it was more convenient to use an actual switch)

This is the extent to which I have gone. The “Reading in Family Room” routine, might look like one we execute manually, nope. The Family Room Couch contact sensor is actually a security mat connected to ecolink contact sensor.

Streamline the creation? Likely, management? I don’t know…

I am more focused on what is more efficient for the platform to execute.

Not sure what your attribs are for. You will need to to a Group condition.

My TTS tends to be a little different need than most. I don’t do the door is open stuff except on the front and garage doors.

The rest of it is person to person comms from echo to echo and connected speakers.

From the time RM was abandoned to now I have increased my devices by approx 50%. My automations have also increased dramatically.
My automation management has streamlined the system to do much much more using the most simplistic logic possible.

This is the most complex automation I have… it consist of three pistons working together… follow the logic and see what all it actually does.

This is the only goal I have when doing anything anymore! With the very minor exception of changing colors on some things.

If I can’t automate it, then I simply cant predict my families behavior, or it’s out of the realm of “habits.” There are minimotes scattered about and I still have the rare need for a physical switch which is almost always just an override for a lights off motion disable sort of thing.

Unlike what I see in the media with all these IoT companies doing their own thing, or having integrations with other things, even Alexa, where they think they can automate your life, almost none of that is actual AUTOMATION! I really do that. Having a ton of apps that you need to interact with each device, that’s absurd. ST lets us wrap it all up into TRUE automation. Now, if only we had a true AI to write these Pistons for us…

On topic, I use OR’s all the time, lots of them in a single piston. I try to keep one piston per device or device/room group. Then put all my individual automation’s under that with OR and When True. This reduces how many pistons are subscribed to devices. That’s more efficient I think. Once you have multiple pistons listening to the same device, you introduce (IMHO) more chance for something to get missed notifications or scheduling activities.

I need to work more local processing into my setup, but since 90% of my automation’s require simple devices that aren’t yet eligible for local processing (relay’s) I’m stuck with CoRE for even the most basic stuff. Not CoRE’s fault, just the sluggish platform.

Dude that’s insane!

Sometimes I’m glad I put simply relay’s in many places…so many level changes…

No matter how I set this up, I still can’t get it to work…

And it works so damn good! And it’s easy to modify