CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Gotcha… Still don’t need variables to do it… Just sayin…

This is what I am wanting. I think this is the right way to have built the piston. Color and Saturation are virtual dimmers. I can adjust the brightness of the bulbs, the hue of their ‘color’ and the saturation of the light all by voice without creating individual pistons for a million combinations. I already have some set up to do some good automated colors as appropriate, but I hate using the smartthings app to change colors. This (if it works) will be awesome.

Does anyone have a way to raise or lower the set temperature on multiple thermostats at once?

Clarification: By “raise or lower” I mean changing the temperature incrementally relative to the current set point, not setting the temperature absolutely. In other words, if I’m cold, I want to to raise the set temperature by 2 degrees (for example) relative to the current setting, whatever that setting is.

Scenario: I have 8 Sinope baseboard thermostats in the house. Scheduling and home/away modes work great, and generally we’re comfortable. But sometimes, we’re at home and find it cold, so I want to manually override the scheduled setting and raise the temperature in a group of rooms (all the rooms on the main floor, for instance, if it’s nowhere near bedtime). Right now, I have to do it on 3 separate thermostats, individually. I’d like to be able to create a group or a virtual thermostat, with a tile in SmartTiles, and just hit + or - on that to have it change the temp on all 3 thermostats.

I’ve been looking around for this since last winter, and haven’t been able to find an answer.

Thanks for any help

Ok, you’re wanting to control each aspect of the color? Instead of just set color and brightness?

I take it you are using Alexa for this?

If you install the askAlexa app, you can simply say…“Alexa, tell home to set the living room lights (group) to the color blue and 75%”.

No piston needed.

1 Like

I would expect so. The length of time depends upon the timeout for the motion sensor. For example, Monoprice motion sensors can be set from 1 to 3 minutes, and the Iris and ST motion sensors are much faster.

Hello! I am hoping to get help creating a piston (or few) that will do the following:

• For one “group”/set of lights, turn them all (or just a selected few–doesn’t matter) on if all are off and motion is detected. This is more or less the same as the built-in Smart Lighting app.
  • When no motion is detected for X minutes, turn off any lights in this set that were on. (Again, this is the same as the stock app.) Or, see below for an improved wish I have for this.
  • When motion is detected again, restore lights to the state they were in when motion stopped–i.e., if any lights in the set had been off the whole time or were turned off since the motion detected turned them on, leave them turned off.
  • Wishlist item: rather than turning off immediately, dim the lights (that are on) to Y percent brightness for Z seconds/minutes, then turn off.

I have CoRE installed and have tried to set up a couple pistons but haven’t had any luck doing what I want with any ease. Would anyone have any ideas how I could accomplish this, assuming it’s possible? I posted a thread asking if anyone had written a SmartApp specifically for this (Smart app to control group of lights with motion sensor and not turn on those that were off originally?), but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Thanks!

ST and Iris sensors seem to go about 30-45 seconds before reverting to inactive. Others are different. The wait, if added, adds to that time.

1 Like

Why not install the Weather tile and issue a refresh on a timer with it? Then you don’t need to do the API yourself?

1 Like

This seems to vary as well… Some of mine reset in 15-20 seconds while others take 30-45

GET is the most common, GET seems to work for all my CoRE/IFTTT if that helps.

1 Like

I’m very interested in askAlexa, each time I’ve looked into it, though, it seems to still require a developees account to install a custom skill. Optimistic about it though.

Yeah, it does require that, but it’s free. It can be complex to set up, but the wiki is very good on it. Just follow the directions precisely and if you get hung up, just ask.

You won’t regret it.

2 Likes

Look at the post by Lee Florack up above. This will get you started. Also look at this sample.
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=CoREsamples#Motion_On_Off

1 Like

Guys,

I’m setting up a simple piston to execute routine to unlock door and disarm. It works but it says “current evaluation failed”

Any suggestion?

Been working on this one on and off and still can’t get it to work with the suggested follow up piston. I must be selecting something wrong. @bamarayne , would appreciate it if you can give me some advice on the follow up piston…:slight_smile:

Much appreciated!

Need help setting up Aeon minimote.

Is there a but if piston?

Basically I’d like.

If button #1 is pressed then do A but if button #2 is pressed do B but if button #3 is pressed do C but if button #4 is pressed do D but if button #1 is held do E and so on…

Thank you.

Yes there is.
I take it you haven’t downloaded it yet or you would have seen it.
@ady624 can newbies download the latest version?

I have the latest version as far as I can tell from repository.

Would it say “but if”

Open it up and you will see Add a CoRE piston.
When the new piston opens you will se piston Mode.
Click on it and the drop down will give you the piston type options.
Not a But-If but lots of others which will fit your bill I would think.