CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

No triggers allowed in the Follow-Up pistons. Only conditions. And no subscription to anything. Pretty much a dead thing until you execute it from another piston. But once executed, it can execute itself at a later time :wink: via the Follow up with piston action. Note to self: I should prevent the Execute action from running itself.

@ady624
First–thank you for all your hard wok in creating a very powerful generalized rule engine. And in an amazingly short timeline!

I’m having an issue with the app that I haven’t seen anywhere in the thread.

After I’ve created a new piston, it doesn’t take me back to the main CoRE page when I hit done or back arrow. Instead it kicks me all the way back out to the smart app page.

If I renter the app, it goes back to the piston page. This holds true even if I quit the Smartthings app, or even reboot the phone.

It even holds true if I enter the CoRE app from a different device.

Freshly updated code from github. iOS devices. Smartthings app up to date.

Thanks.

What happens if you use the back button instead of Done?

Tried to add a few things to this piston, but it’s not working as planned. Assistance on identifying where I went wrong, so I can further understand.

Goal is to have the light come on when presence is detected, at full brightness, then go into color loop when motion is detected . That appears to be working. What isn’t working is the "after 8, stop loop, dim, wait then off. It doesn’t start the countdown until it sees motion after 8. I want it to begin countdown at 8.

Where did I go wrong? Should it be a latching piston? Also, if it sees motion after the countdown started, it resets the countdown.

Same thing. Exits all the way to the Smartapps page. When I re-enter I’m in the piston, not the home page.

The BACK button takes me to CoRE (correctly), not ST.

Convert the or if time is after into time happens at 8pm. You are using a trigger so only that trigger causes reevaluations

So it now does that on iOS too? Can’t replicate this

So I shouldn’t change it to latching and should leave it at or-if?

@ady624 On version 0.0.05b.20160601

I have a simple task setup as follows:

If: Basement lights is on

Then: Wait 2 mins, and then send notification (message), turn on basement light 2

The basement light 2 works, no notification, though. I tried push notification, notification, and SMS. None of them send anything although log shows them firing.

Any thoughts?

Hey Neal,

I just created the same Simple Piston for a door and it worked as expected including the SMS msg

Rick

interesting, I tried a few other ways
 it looks like notification isn’t working for me although logs are showing it firing. Let me try removing the piston and making it again.

Do notifications work from RM or other apps?

No, just make the time in the OR-IF statement a trigger as well. Since you’re using a trigger, it inhibits all conditiions from triggering events, so you need a trigger in the secondary IF too if you are to do something

1 Like

I can’t seem to get the Android to stay in the app. I reverted back all the way to v0.0.030 and still no luck. Deleted all data and cache, still no luck. Must be something to do with ST?

@ady624, Hey Adrian,

I have run into something interesting

For my Doggie Door/Light you helped me with, if I set it up for a single door, it works fine 99% of the time, if I set it up for multiple doors using Any is open, it won’t trigger at all. What am I missing? When it doesn’t work, all it takes is to open and close the door once, then the next time the door opens the light comes on.

Thanks in advance
Rick

They work well on everything else. Interesting note is I made 2 additional pistons and they fire the notifications no problem.

I don’t think the screen capture option is actually working on Android
 can’t find a captured screenshot anywhere

You need the latest code and then it opens an image in a new tab. You’ll need to save the image and then upload it here

The images you posted do not show the “any door” version. And if you use multiple doors, you would have to use multiple variables. Are all doors controlling the same light?