CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

When I need a manual mode changed, I just have Alexa do it.

1 Like

With Alexa I use virtual switches to activate different modes… “Alexa turn on Cinema/Morning/Day/Night/Sleep” and all the magic is handled by CoRE. And that’s how I was able to eliminate Routines altogether. I suppose Rule Machine provided that same capability but I never used RM as extensively as I have with CoRE!

1 Like

Made progress with Routine “executed” trigger, just need to test it. That concludes “Routines” support. Also made progress with the “Variable” condition/trigger - this will allow full potential of variables be exposed.

Will also add Piston “executed” trigger, thinking of options here.
Will add the Follow-Up piston mode and the Execute piston action as well as the Evaluate piston action.

Then I need to work on the capture/restore of attributes and I am (almost) ready for beta.

Third-axis is still missing, What else to beta?

Here’s a distance function for the xyz map…, using it for my garage door SA.

def getDistance(coord1,coord2){
    if (coord1 && coord2){
    	def dX = coord1.x - coord2.x
    	def dY = coord1.y - coord2.y
    	def dZ = coord1.z - coord2.z
    	def s = Math.pow(dX,2) + Math.pow(dY,2) + Math.pow(dZ,2)
    	def dist = Math.pow(s,0.5)
	return dist.toInteger()
    } else return null 
}
3 Likes

Actually with the new askAlexa app and integration there are no virtual switches.

I just say, Alexa, ask home to set the mode to night." She responds, “I am setting the smartthings mode to night”

Also, I can do this…

“Alexa, ask home to run the sleep routine”.
She responds, “I am running the smartthings sleep routine”

1 Like

Hmmmm I’m not sure how to do that, but here’s the link to where I found the device handler: CentraLite Keypads

1 Like

Capture and restore… Not sure if that’s available yet.

Here’s how I use it…

Living Room lights are on at one color and 60% level. I only turn on the overhead light when I want it really bright.
So, in RM when the overhead light comes on a rule captures the current state of the lamps, then changes then to daylight color and sets the level to 100%.
When I’m done and turn off the overhead light the lamps are then restored to what they were before.

3 Likes

Oooo and just had another revalation with the if then stuff I can get away with one piston to monitor all of my kodi instances ooooooo

1 Like

Are you using the custom attribute armMode?

Anyone tested multibuttons?

I’m definitely interested in Ask Alexa. However, I really prefer brevity when I speak to Alexa. It also keeps the WAF intact! :grinning:

With my virtual switches I can simply say: “Alexa, turn on Day” or “Alexa, turn on Cinema”. I don’t have to do any “Alexa, ask (name of Echo Skill) to run…”

3 Likes

I’m jumping in to CoRE when we hit Beta, I’ve been in IT long enough to know that this is now considered production :scream: and there is a backup/restore function (or is that possible?)

1 Like

I guess I’m too much of a noob to try to add it. I tried to add it to the database but I couldn’t get it to show up as a device I could select for “if”. When I get home from work I’ll post the code changes I made if that will help

1 Like

You don’t need to modify code. It should show there, provided u selected the keypad and enabled Expert Mode… Use a capability used by the keypad and you should be able to select the keypad…

Very true and I was concerned about that as well. But it grew on my pretty quickly.

I do like the feedback.

I have one where I say, Alexa, ask home to report the last time the dog was fed. And she tells me. The sane with the litterbox cleaning.

I had to eliminate all of my virtual switches about a month ago due to reaching the 100 device type limit. I have almost 100 physical devices that have the switch attribute.

And I kind of like not using them… Even though the limit is 300 now.

1 Like

@bamarayne

Those are some pretty interesting use cases! Lol on the litter box one – we could definitely use something like that! I will definitely look into Ask Alexa at some point, but right now I’m full tilt in CoRe land! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I have two 16 y/o boys that think they’re to smart for me… So, I just keep proving then wrong…

The conversation goes something like this…

Me - did you clean the litterbox today?
Dumbs - yeah dad, of course I did.
Me - Alexa, ask home to report the last time the litterbox was cleaned.
Alexa - the last time the litterbox was cleaned was yesterday at 4:20 pm.
Me - you’re grounded dumba
s.

10 Likes

Hey Mike is your new garage opener out and I missed the announcement?

[quote=“ady624, post:1618, topic:46546, full:true”]
Anyone tested multibuttons?
[/quote]Not sure if you mean what I think you mean, but… I have tested my minimote push and hold buttons with success.

1 Like

[quote=“ady624, post:1611, topic:46546”]
What else to beta?[/quote]getAttribute ?

1 Like