Convert Electronic Switch to Mechanical (Bionaire Fan) for use with smart outlet

(Weston T Turner) #1

Hello all,

Would anyone here have the knowledge to help me with the subject. The fan I have is linked below.

I have some mechanical knowledge but I believe I need some baby steps laid out for me to help me on this one.

Essentially, I would like the fan to start upon plugging it into the wall rather than requiring the power button to be pressed after plugging it in.
I really don’t know where to start.

Thank you all for any help you can offer.

(Ray) #2

This could be tricky depending on what circuitry is inside the fan. If power is controlled by a relay then it’s probably not difficult to bypass but if this is a multi speed fan then it’s probably solid state which is not easy.
One other way to do this is to get an esp IR remote controller like this one.

(Weston T Turner) #3

Ray,

Thanks so much for the response. Sadly, as you said, it is a multi speed fan.

I actually own the harmony hub so I’m sure I could program one of the blasters to work the hub. I was just hoping I wouldn’t have to tie it to harmony and could streamline straight to smartthings with an outlet.

The more I learn about home automation, the more I realize, the less steps, the better.

Thank you for that link also, I had taken a look at it earlier and was afraid even that may be getting out of capabilities.