Connected Smoke Alarms

I will check mine this weekend and report my findings.

I just tested mine and it is working fine. I have the door sensor that I connected to the alarm relay set up as a “Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor” device that I modified to make it look like a Smoke CO Alarm device. In the apps I use “when…opens…”

I just received a SM120X for Smoke and CM120X for Carbon,

Is it possible to wire both to the same sensor ? Or would i need to use another sensor for the second alarm ?

Ideally if we have either Smoke or Carbon, i would like an alert.

thanks

Assuming the CO alarm relay works the same as the smoke alarm relay, there should be no problem to wire both in parallel to the sensor. Just make sure you use the same normally-open or normally-closed circuits. The only downside is that you would not be able to tell which alarm triggered the sensor.

1 Like

@Dan999 thanks

there should be no issue with running both in parallel ? Or should i use a Chip/relay in the middle to isolate the two outputs ?

The relays are simple switches. They are not active outputs so it is not necessary to isolate them.

Does this tell you which room the alarm is sounding or just that your alarms are going off? My nest has given me false alarms multiple times and I’m ready to rip them all out. I would really like to know which room is sending the alert so I can address any false alarms.

I just got two zwave smoke alarms. They’re not a whole lot more expensive than a decent high end non-zwave smoke alarm, and they integrate directly to smartThings.

I got these http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-Combination-Photoelectric-Monoxide/dp/B00KMHXFAI

They seem to be far better at rejecting steam as smoke than the cheap ones they replaced. Those other ones would go off after a shower.

1 Like

Yup.

The First Alert pairs just like any other compatible Z-Wave device, thus letting you name it and attach basic SmartApps (push or SMS notifications with location information, lights on, etc), or more complex ones.

They don’t directly talk to each other, tough, and cannot be used to receive “alarm on” commands, and no speech.

Nest Protects sure look nice and have great features on paper; it’s sad to hear they have bugs to shakeout, but also great to know we can get good functionality with trusty inexpensive Z-Wave First Alert!

Unfortunately these are battery powered. My home has wired smoke detectors.

Yah… First-Alert is moving to their new, presumably proprietary wireless link protocol called “One-Link” (a little like Nest … .though Nest uses Thread/Weave (well, what will be Weave eventually).

So they do have a wireless hardware model … but not open. :cry:

http://www.firstalert.com/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=item&id=270:120v-ac-wireless-photoelectric-smoke-alarm

Nest smoke/co next generation ships in two weeks at the same price as current model. I don’t own one but they are supposed to be decent. I currently have zcombo’s but leaning towards Nest depending upon on funds when the next gen hits the market.

Check their web site.

Hey guys, I used the Kiddie relay and an everspring door sensor because it’s got dry contacts. I set up my device type to read as safe when open and then danger when closed (therefore using blue and orange wires on the relay). I keep running into an issue where it works fine for a week or two and then randomly trips even though the smoke detectors don’t go off and then gets “stuck” closed. If I disconnect it from the relay and take the battery out, it’s all good. I reconnect it to the relay and it’s working fine. Anybody else run into any issues?

I had a similar issue but it turned out to be a loose wire. Simply disconnecting the motion sensor and tightening the screws solved the problem with no further issues for me.

Unfortunately, I have’t had this issue. It’s been running smoothly since installation…well, except I reversed some wires on the original install. :smile:

I am trying to implement this on my V2 system. Can someone give me a reference to the door/window switch that was used for this project, and the driver code. I want to wire my connected smoke/CO detectors in such a way that it would trigger the alarm in “Smart Home Monitor” in V2. I have it working with a door/window switch now which triggers an event, but Smart Home Monitor does not recognize it as a Smoke Sensor.

The code that works as you want is for a Zigbee unit, like the PEQ open/close sensor…@Dan999 that wrote it was in my thread and pointed this out to me as well.

I am unable to find the PEQ sensor anywhere. Is there a compatible open/close sensor that works with @Dan999’s code?

I suspect, or even expect, it to work with the SmartThings open / close sensor. If you have a spare one you can easily test it by changing the type in the IDE and use the magnet to simulate the Kidde relay being open or closed…

I tested it with one of my SmartThings open/close sensors and it triggered a SHM smoke alarm when I changed the device type to the Connected Smoke Alarm type. So the device type code should definitely work with the ST open/close sensor. Just keep in mind that my solution involved soldering :smile:

1 Like