Cloud-Centric Architecture. What's the Problem?

How many of those services are being actively used (vs yet another item in cable or alarm bill consumer signed up for, never used, forgot to cancel)?

If those HA addons were that successful, they’d be promoted more. They’re dead. Just my guess.

People who are willing to invest in installing light switches and censors (but don’t buy white glove bespoke automation solutions) are the kinds of people who check their bill and worry about recurring charges when choosing a solution.

I’d give anything to know the demographic profiles of SmartThings Customers, but I don’t think we can make any accurate assumptions or generalizations.

Perhaps SmartThings marketing team will contribute to the discussion (lol).

They are both being promoted and growing. Xfinity just a couple of months ago introduced their brand-new “quadruple play” option with home automation. Comcast says the home automation accounts are “growing aggressively.” They have now crossed the 500,000 account mark.

In fact, the Home Automation services are growing while other services from the same companies are declining.

ADT pulse reported that fourth-quarter 2015 was its best quarter ever:

Gross customer additions in the quarter were 278,000, the highest level achieved in 2015.

1 Like

Data > anecdote. But I still feel in my gut that many of these customers are not active users. My intuition is based on the fact that home depot and best buy don’t carry that much HA kit. (There’s some, but not much of the nuts and bolts like contact or motion sensors.)

Edit- yes, I know about Lowe’s and have bought plenty of Iris stuff for SmartThings to use happily. Still get the feeling that I’m the only one who ever does though.

Well I think the point with the services is that you don’t buy very many devices other than what you get from the service provider and a few biggies like nest and a garage door opener. I expect most of these accounts fit what SmartThings already described as their typical user: 15 devices or less. :sunglasses:

Linear (GoControl) has done a good job of getting their basic security set (one motion sensor, two contact sensors) into a lot of retail outlets, including Best Buy and Home Depot, and that may be the extent of the add-ons that most of the services customers need.

As I said before, there’s no way to tell how much overlap there is between that market and the SmartThings DIY no subscription fee market. What is clear is that the subscription market is making money even if there are many people in the no subscription market who personally would never pay the subscription.

2 Likes