Chromecast Audio Potential

Sorry to bring this up, but is there any official ST movement on this? I see from the thread that some have been placed in LAB for testing? Hows that coming? @Tyler

1 Like

Chromecast audio is greatā€¦until someone in the family gets an iphone or want to watch a video with the speakers, then things get difficul, but not more than with sonos i belive

Just bought 5 of these and love them. Would like to see if you have an update on this? Very interested!

What speakers do you use with your chrome cast audio devices?

Are they powered speakers?

How do you handle volume control on powered speakers?

Bump,

See question above; what speakers do you recommend with chromecast?

1. Any active speakers or headphones
  2. Yes, active powered speakers.
  3. You set hardware volume on maximum and changing it with software volume rocker build in every app from broadcasting device.

anyone finding chromecast audio drops off wifi and you have to force changing back playback to local iphone and back to the cast?

Thatā€™s why mine is sitting in the " Junk I wasted money on drawer" . I have never been able to get it to work reliably . In Google CCA forum there are 1000s of posts about problems with it losing connection freezing up and needed to be factory reset to reconnect etc.

So they are not a good alternative for sonos?

Given the pain being experienced by ST customers, im taking perverse pleasure in seeing the issues with Chromecast. Not that I wish anyone problems; I just think that we are still in the infancy of this interconnectivity wave, and I think we all are destined for growing pains. Smartthings, Google, Sonos, Alexa, etcā€¦ name your integration system, and you are experiencing some issues.

Well granted the $99 Echo Dot is not close to the 2/$60 price pont of CCA, and still lacks whole home sync.( they keep promising it is coming ) I have full faith that the 3 Dots arriving Wed will be superior in every way to the CCA. I still havenā€™t decided what I want to use for speakers. I was looking at the BB Insignia BT sound bars on sale for $49 this week. Just tuck them up along the ceiling with Dot on a table or even mounted on wall.

Iā€™m very interested in how these various systems do at understanding speech in noisy environs. My tablet with Google Now does fine when the room is quiet, but struggles as noise picks up. I know Echoā€™s design is supposed to mitigate this issue a bit.

With 2 Echoes in adjoining rooms they will usually both respond to commands. I have found that lately the kitchen Echo ( on top of the cabinet above the stove and microwave ) seems to be having an issue waking when the microwave / exhaust fan is running. That is more of n issue for the 5ā€™3" wife then it is for myself at 6ā€™4" . Assuming it is because the fan outlet is closer to the Echo than she is LOL.
The Echo in the dining room can hear and respond fine even at a normal tone from the living room, even with TV/stereo on. Whereas the Kitchen unit will come back with one if the error responses of " which do you mean" or " Sorry that command does not work on that device" " I canā€™t find decide __________ in your profile" .

Iā€™m getting an idea here. Bluetooth (or other protocol??) omni mics feeding into a mixer, put a mic in each room. (Power supplies at useful locations would be an issue.) All feeding into a bluetooth mixer, and that feeds into Alexa or Siri or OK Google or whatever. Output speakers can also be wireless, but they should be configured for a very low power ā€˜standbyā€™ and only go into full-power operation when the service is replying to youā€¦ and then, only in the room from which you asked your question.

Iā€™ll have to look into it a bit

1 Like

We already discussed a similar set up using of all thing baby monitors. Place the transmitters in each room and the receivers by Echo. $20 instead of $90 for a mic in every room.

2 Likes

I have my echo in a box with a speaker, and 3 of theses hooked to the speaker they work great! enter link description here

I also have 2 dots on order

dot celling installā€¦ 4$ drain cover and 2$ box . Both from home depot

6 Likes

wow, people keep coming up with so many really freakin cool things that just kick my @$$! Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Very cool. Please post photos when it is installed.