Ceiling Fan Control Options

[quote=“SDNCloudman, post:19, topic:74207”]

1. How to you prevent a chassis ground fault condition when you have exposed terminal posts on your zwave paddle switch in the Fan COWL? When you place the paddle switch back in the wall outlet you are connected to earth ground. [/quote] In my situation I had no wall switch. The power was run directly to the ceiling box and the fan/lights were controlled directly from the pull chains only. My only solution if I was going to have automation was to fit the device(s) in the ceiling location. Have had zero issues after more than a year.

[quote]
2) How do two devices fit in a fan cowl given the space requirements.
[/quote] I am assuming you saw my pictures in the Control 3-speed Ceiling Fan and Light Kit post? It was a pretty tight fit and you will see I had to actually bend the aluminum bracket (which also doubles as a cooling fin) so it fit in the cowl. But I would NOT do it this way today if I were you. I will be replacing mine with the Wink Enabled White Universal Ceiling Fan Premier Remote Control that @TN_Oldman referred to when it becomes available shortly. I have already ordered one for testing and I have no doubt that it will be by far the best solution for the money and the features provided by the remote control. The custom device handler is already in testing.

[quote]
3) I am concerned about arching and safety concerns especially in the ceiling - I can’t imagine this is code.
[/quote] Why not? Code doesn’t say it has to be pretty looking :wink: Seriously though if you look closely at the pictures I went above and beyond by using crimped insulated terminals on the wire instead of just going directly to the screws to make sure no loose strands stuck out. Nothing is exposed as the fan cowl serves as the terminal enclosure and everything terminated is grounded as per code. And you can’t tell from these pictures because this was in stage but I used electrical tape over the exposed screws on the GE switch.

[quote]
You could not have said it any better! I envision something like a one paddle switch that has two zwave chips; one to control fan oscillator speed and one for light dimmer capability. Then of course we have the zwave classification as well to content with on the standards body. I can’t imagine nobody is working on this they have they aeon and zeus power strip but of course that is just a toggle off condition.
[/quote] There has already been a device out for years that does this fan/light control FanLinc for Insteon protocol I don’t understand why a device isn’t done yet via z-wave either but I really don’t care since we have SmartThings. So having either a zigbee device by Hampton Bay that we can use a custom device handler with or even a WiFi device which also already exists but we don’t have custom device handler for; as long as SmartThings can talk to it directly I am happy camper. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my installation (which I will probably change out the new all in one is available and working) I have the GE fan switch actually stuffed in the light box above the fan with the rest of the wiring. The switch is facing down towards the fan. It is also taped to be safe. So essentially it is in a electrical box just not all pretty. I was very careful to try and make sure I could get it in the box behind the fan mount. If you drop my fan you’ll see the switch just to the left of the fan bracket and you could toggle the paddles if you desired.

I agree an inspector would probably not approve. I am 100% confident it is safe and will not move or short out in any way. I have seen FAR worse wiring on other houses I have helped friends install stuff in.

I too look forward to the all in one unit. Then I can rip out the unconventional install and put something neat and tidy. :slight_smile:

Maybe I should not hold my breath however I agree with you @TN_Oldman maybe I should wait till an all in one unit gets released.

Thanks to @TN_Oldman @dalec for your insights - You were very helpful in making my decisions for me. This is a new built home and it would be my luck I get transferred with my job and the inspector comes in for the buyer and see’s this and fails the inspection. Just don’t want to take the chance.

I found this
http://www.insteon.com/ceiling-fan-controller/
That controls both fan and light but seems to work only with Insteon. Having found a way to make it work with SmartThings