Can sliders have range other then 0-100?

I am working on a Device Type for my zxt-120 HVAC ir sender.

Making precise adjustments is difficult because the slider range is 0-100. Can this range be changed ?

I found a few threads about the slider range making thermostats difficult but they are from 2013. I would think this could have been fixed by now.

I can’t find any documentation in the ide docs for tile types and possible settings. The samples don’t seem to change the range but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

I am guessing it can’t be done but thought I would confirm with the community.

It’s a good question… And I’ve browsed the documentation and a few examples and can’t find any customization ability on the range.

The was a post from a long while back … I wonder if the author has an update?

@duncan

And requested at length again late last year:

Interesting I had already come up with the solution to force the value to min if < min and max if greater than max but this solution leaves the user with a two tile wide slider on which they need to select a value between 19 and 28 using a 0-100 slider…seems silly but I have to do it.

Thanks for the threads. I wish ST cared about UI a little more. It is important. It is “First Impression” for the product.

1 Like

Yup… @Ben and a few ST-ers were asking me what my personal “Top 3” concerns were about SmartThings, …

…So I mentioned the mobile app (the UI) as #1, even though reliability is a greater impact during the times when the system has had a major outage (my #2 concern). My reason for saying the UI is #1 was exactly as you say … it is the first impression and the “face” of SmartThings, so they know we want it to load faster, be easier to navigate, and have more powerful and flexible customization.

It’s pretty amazing how we can create custom interfaces for Device Types with a relatively small amount of code, and add icons, sliders, value tiles, colors, etc.; but also kinda hard to be patient about things like the lack of slider range customization, as per this Topic.

I don’t mean to me impatient :smile: I have been a GUI developer my whole career so I have certain expectations for GUI development.

I will say however that I am impressed at how quickly I have been able to start coding my own driver and smart apps. I haven’t eve coded in Groovy before. So kudos to ST for making the developer accessible. The reason I want good gui options is so that the devices and apps I write look their best.

1 Like

Yes… We have a good platform to work upon, so we have high expectations to be able to make best use of it. Since the original post on this slider limitation was July 2013, I has hoped that that particular widget had improved since then, though… But not yet.

1 Like

Yea that is surprising. Perhaps they should open source the UI code. I would be happy to add the features to this tile. I can’t be that hard. The features we listed are pretty basic.

1 Like