Bypassing the Cloud when Polling Device

Can an external app running on my lan poll a ST device by sending a command to the hub thereby bypassing the cloud???

(Larry) #2

search for the pollster thread… new release lets you refresh or poll devices with a url…
you can do it from your own network, or setup a limited scheduler ie hourly with ifttt

Thanks for the info… I have been using Polster for a while and wasnt aware of this new feature. However… This app does not bypass the cloud. So why do I want to??

Wemo devices often disconnect. Polster will revive them however I dont want to bombard ST server and the network with numerous requests. If I were able to restrict this traffic locally I would poll wemo device ever 1 or 2 minutes.

(Larry) #4

it bypasses the scheduler in the smartthings cloud which is the bulk of the problem…yes the smartapp still runs in the cloud. but this is the best you are going to do unless they build a scheduler in the hub.

(Geko) #5

No, it can not. Even if you push a poll request to the hub locally, it will still have to be handled by the smart app running in the cloud. There’s nothing running locally on the hub to handle that request.

I dont want to bombard ST server and the network with numerous requests. If I were able to restrict this traffic locally I would poll wemo device ever 1 or 2 minutes.

I wouldn’t worry about it. If ST cannot handle 1 minute polling intervals, they’re in the wrong business. :wink:

You know, you are right. If they dont like it they should fix Wemo Connect…:grinning:

(joe) #7

It is somewhat difficult but technically speaking it is possible to call directly to a device handler on your local hub and bypass the cloud altogether. To do this you would have to create your own device type that handles the parse event. Then create a device of that type and set the devicenetworkid to the mac address of device you are calling from. Now you can call directly to the hub and it “should” get that message.

So… even though this is possible and I actually got it to work once or twice I never got it working very consistently. There are lots of posts about it on the forums as this is basically the same as writing a lan connected device. Here is one post where people are talking about it: Labs & Lan Devices.

(Geko) #8

First off, that wasn’t my question, but most importantly, you’re incorrect. All custom device handlers execute in the cloud.