Bticino BTI-3577 support

Hello, I am new in the community and am discovering how the ST ecosystem works Sorry if my question is not on-topic.
I am a bit confused about standards and interoperability, and am wondering if the Bticino BTI-3577 can be paired with the hub. From the data sheet (http://www.catalogue.bticino.com/BTI-3577-EN) I see it works with the standard ZigBee protocol.
I would like to keep the standard push buttons I have on the walls, making them smart to control lights and scenes, and this Bticino item looks promising.

Thank you for the help!

I’m also interested in this compatibility of the products delivered by biticio

Unfortunately, not.

The zigbee standard allows for the use of different profiles, including manufacturer proprietary, and they can’t all talk to each other. They don’t even use the same addressing schemes.

SmartThings is certified for the “zigbee home automation” profile (ZHA 1.2)

Devices using that profile can usually be made to work with SmartThings. But just “zigbee” isn’t enough.

More details in the protocols article in the community – created wiki

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Supported_Network_Protocols

1 Like

Bummer!
Thanks JD for the link, it helps understanding.
Are there any ZHA (or ZLL) devices similar to the one I linked? I am really interested in maintaining the existing push buttons on the wall and making them smart.

The only solution I have in mind at the moment is connecting the push buttons to an Arduino and let the Arduino (Ethernet shield) send requests to a HUE hub through the specific APIs.

Any suggestion for a better approach?

Thanks!

What country are you in and which model of the SmartThings hub are you using (US or UK)? The device options vary somewhat depending on where you are.

I’m in Italy, I’llbe using the European version.

And are you interested only in zigbee, or would you also consider Z wave on the European frequency?

I am still in the phase of studying the options and finding the best solution for my needs, so I am open to any technology/hub/item suggestion. :slight_smile:

What I have in mind is not a switch acting directly on the light, but a signal sent to the hub to control smart bulbs (IKEA Tradfri or other tunable white bulbs): in this way the bulbs will always be powered and will receive on/off/dim/temp signals from the hub.

I would like to pair this to an automatic sun-mimic white shifting schedule, so that the only interaction with the lights by the user is on/off (no manual color adjustments).

I saw some option on Amazon.it for Z-wave dimmers and relays (Qubino, Aeotec…). Maybe Everspring HAC01 is what I’m looking for?

Otherwise I may stick to a HUE hub and leave the traditional switches to turn on/off smart bulbs when needed: in this way the bulbs will join the network only when lit, but this approach does not allow to build scenes or complex interactions.

Thanks again!

Maybe this Fibaro sensor https://www.smartthings.com/works-with-smartthings/sensors/fibaro-doorwindow-sensor is what I’m looking for: I see it can be used as a binary input, and is officially supported by ST.

There are many different options, and you may want to choose different ones for specific different rooms or fittings.

First, with regard to relays, there are a number of in wall Z wave micros that can work very well to control current, but you would not combine those with a smart bulb. As you noted, the smart bulbs should always be on power. If you regularly cut power to it, you can significantly reduce the life of the bulb because of the effect of the inrush current on the radio each time you power it on again. So if you use the in wall micros, you use them with dumb bulbs.

@anon36505037 , Who lives in the UK, has done his whole house this way and can give you more advice on that option. There are a number of other members who can add more as well, this is a very popular option for the EU.

Alternatively, there are a number of different ways to handle offering a switch option for smart bulbs. Phillips hue makes their own switch which works well. Remotec has a small eight button panel, battery operated, where each button can accept tap, double tap, or long hold, giving you 24 different control options.

And many people like using a Wi-Fi mobile phone as a wall mount control center, typically with the very popular SmartTiles dashboard, which can be customized in terms of both devices displayed and the color and size of the tiles.

www.smarttiles.com

Of course all of these options require blocking off the existing switches so that people don’t try to use them. So if you do want to keep your existing switches, then the relays with dumb bulbs are a better way to go. Here is the FAQ for switches to be used with smart bulbs.

Different solutions will work for different people, but those are the two main directions.

Thanks JD,
I’m exploring the options to find what can work best for my needs.
I see a lot of info in this forum, so it seems I’ll have to study :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Matteo, I am looking for someone with whom I can share opinion about about the use of ST in Italy . My address is alebacco12@gmail.com and I hope you will reach me there and the invitation is extended to everybody would like to use ST in Italy. I apologize I am may not be making appropriate use of the community forum but the purpose is to allow the expantion of ST . Alessandro

Ciao interesting
The main point from my side is to identify a brand to change all wall mounted plugs and switch and enable hand switching and remote one at the same time. For light I was thinking to use a 3VIA switch connected ( but don’t fine suitable and nice design one for EU - Germany round wall mounting )

For plug the options seems even lower and in cost prospective change all plug and add a micro switch / dimmer behind will cost a lot of money …

Biticino seems a good compromise in designs and control function but if does not work and there are no “integration also not certified” then will not help :frowning: alternative ideas ? Heheh

And unfortunately I can not just keep actual dimmer since are not designed for led and I need to change 100 halogen lamp or cost will kill me haha :scream:

@nicolaxb
I found the following article. It seems to describe a means to link Smartthings to Bticino via a Raspberry Pi acting as a translator between the two.

However things may or may not have improved since then. Smartthings now supports Zigbee 3.0 meaning there is a chance it might be better able to link directly. Also it maybe that improvements to the Bticino hub may also be easier to work with.

As I am in the UK rather than Italy I have no direct experience of Bticino products.

1 Like

Nice find, fascinating write up.

Thanks I try to look on it :+1:

I have purchased one of the the Bticino switches and couldn’t pair it with SmartThings, there is no option for it. The pairing method of the switch to the Bticino controller nothing similar to any other zigbee device pairing method.

And if you are thinking of costs, look at carefully the Bticino prices. They are mental. You can get cheaper some Fibaro relays than the Bticino products. Each piece cost a fortune.