[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

Create a Thermostat Automation and select HVAC Mode of Eco and then select Schedule Restrictions to which Mode(s) to perform it in.

Perfect. That is a great explanation. Thank you.

A while back I think there was mention of an extra (paid?) tool that allowed for ST to react in real time (instead of afterwards) to my Nest outdoor cams. Is that still possible? If so, who do I donate to?

Send a DM to @tonesto7 related to REST Streaming.

1 Like

Also I just realized that the Thermostat Mode of ECO isn’t presented to WebCoRE. Is it possible to get that added?

To get the Thermostat out of Eco mode I have used the “heatbtn” variable which is working fine. Equally, using “ecobtn” sets the thermostat back to Eco mode more reliably than the “eco” variable.

1 Like

Doesn’t heatbtn imply heat? Because I’m in Florida, and there’s no heat needed right now!

That was a snippet from in that article from that persons use case, not mine. That person used ecobtn to put it into Eco. That’s what I was trying to highlight from the article. :slight_smile:

Is heat needed ever in Florida? :smile:

2 Likes

I guess rather than me stumble along, it might be easier to describe what I’m trying to do…

When I leave my home, I’d like for WebCoRE to set the thermostat to ECO. Then when I return, I’d like to reset it to the previous mode (usually cool, but occasionally heat).

That’s what I thought. So all you have to do for your Then condition is add the Task for ecobtn. It will set the Thermostat to Eco Mode.

But then how do I get it out of ECO mode, into whatever it was before? I guess I can store the previousMode, but is that the easiest way?

1 Like

Hehe. I knew that question was coming. Instead of Thermostat mode, use autobtn at top and it will go back into Auto Mode.

Or coolbtn or heatbtn if you don’t want auto. I always have my set points set for auto between 70 (heat) and 78 (cool) so I never use the Heat mode or Cool Mode by itself.

I found that if you use Thermostat mode or Set Mode to …, you can’t use that in conjunction with autobtn/heatbtn/coolbtn/ecobtn across Pistons. You use one method for all of the Pistons or the other, and because you want Eco, you use the -btn(…)- functions to go in and out of different Nest modes, if that makes sense :slight_smile:

I use a different approach. I use the away () and present () commands in WebCORE to establish presence. I have the home/away Automation enabled in the NST Manager. And have the home/away assist on in the Nest app for the thermostat.

1 Like

There’s 4 different approaches:

1. NST Manager - Setup a Thermostat automation to specifically set Nest to ECO

2. Directly in the Nest app with Home/Away assist

3. Wanting to specifically change the thermostat modes including the use of Eco (this specific use case) mode within webCoRE requires using the -btn- methods to be able to put into Eco and remove from Eco mode.

4. In webCoRE, not wanting to invoke Eco, you can use Thermostat Mode for the Tasks in Pistons.

So many ways to get that same result from different entry points :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like options.

2 Likes

I personally recommend (mentioned a few posts up there to another person) relying on and using Home/Away Assist as well in the Nest App because you are then less reliant on the ST cloud as we know how stable that has been this year. I only rely on NST Manager to set my Nest to Away from the Mode automation. If ST goes down, I can modify the Nest app to use my Location to set it Away again on it’s own and then have all the Home/Away Assist still in place from the Nest side.

Backup plans. Plan B :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello. Sorry I’ve posted this in the wrong place a couple of times.

I’ve installed NST Manager and NST automations in IDE, and I’ve also installed the Device Handlers on IDE. I can’t find my Nest thermostat when I try and add a device. Can anybody help me out? I found it fairly complicated getting to this point as it is!

Thanks in advance

:slight_smile:

Ok so first things first:

1. You create the code in your IDE for NST Manager and NST Automation SmartApps. You Publish both apps. You only Enable OAuth for NST Manager.

2. You create and Publish ALL Device Handlers (even of you don’t own all of the Nest devices). This will help in the future when you do purchase more.

3. You create a Nest Developer account which you then take the product id and secret from that account and paste it into the Settings of NST Manager in IDE.

4. When you goto Marketplace (this is the install of the product using the code that you created in IDE. This is a one time install. You ONLY install NST Manager ((NOT NST Automations))

5. When you install NST Manager you will walk through the Authorization process that links SmartThings with your Nest Account.

6. You add the devices by selecting them from within NST Manager after you have successfully authenticated in step 5. You don’t add your devices separately. NST Manager creates the devices after you select them and Save all the way through the NST Manager application.

Those are the high level set of instructions for a successful installation. The granular details for each of those steps I provided is in the installation instructions. You can’t skip any instruction in the doc, otherwise you will have issues :slight_smile:

Note: In the future whenever you access the NST Manager SmartApp in the mobile app, you goto Automation/SmartApps, not the Marketplace (that is only for initial installation).

Thanks for this. I have carried out all of the above (or I think I have!).

When I go to Automation>SmartApps, the NST Manager appears with a little play button on the right hand side. When I click on this nothing happens.

If I click on the wording, i.e. NST Manager it opens up the log in page. I follow this through, enter my Nest Log in Details, that then goes to the Works With Nest page, I allow all of them and it tells me ST and NST Manager is now connected. On this page i have a number of options, i.e. setting its location (currently Home), and that my current status is away.

Is this all set up correctly? I can’t seem to see the common screenshots which are shown on the wiki page etc…