Bloomsky Weather Station

Its sitting in my office with me right now, having this issue. Here is the forum post of more people having the issue:

https://bloomsky.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/16159573-bloomsky-says-offline

My troubleshooting steps

1. restarted the unit
  2. brought the unit inside and restarted it
  3. reset the device on the wifi
  4. removed the device from my account
  5. readded the device to my account
  6. said nice things to it
  7. gave it a new car

It hates me…

1 Like

Buy it a drink, that usually breaks the ice. :wink:

1 Like

Did you happen to try connecting it with a different device, ie different phone or tablet?

These things really should have an LCD screen on one side that constantly blinks the message,
“It’s not you. It’s me”

I sat on the phone with somebody over the weekend for an hour working on getting theirs up and running.
The steps for his install seemed to go just about like mine and everyone else’s that I have heard from or helped so far…just kept doing the same things over and over again, and eventually, it took.

I think one of the main things that has been helpful for me to have on-hand and in-mind when attempting to set one up, is the list of light color and blink codes. I have listed them in one or more of these BloomSky-related threads. If you need em, let me know, and I’ll grab it and post here.

Mine did this for days. I took it over to a friend’s house (different ISP), connected right up. Not a hiccup. Let it sit for an hour or so then brought it home. BOOM! Connected and has been online ever since.

took me a couple of tries. I ended up disabling 5ghz on my AP to force everything on 2.4 and it finally connected. Been up for 6+ months now no issues.

Okay, so I have gotten the BloomSky camera feed into SmartTiles, through a ridiculously convoluted mechanism, but it does work. It involves IFTTT and Twitter of all things:

1. Make a twitter page for your BloomSky, eg. @UrbanaSkyCam.
  2. Connect this Twitter and your BloomSky to IFTTT.
  3. Make a new IFTTT recipe to update the twitter account profile picture whenever BloomSky data is uploaded.
  4. In SmartTiles, add the following address as a stop motion video stream (with your username): https://twitter.com/[twitter-user-name]/profile_image?size=original
  5. Check SmartTiles, and you should now see your BloomSky in the SmartTiles Dashboard.

PS the IFTTT script will not run at night, so you won’t know it worked or not until sunrise.

5 Likes

Is the static link on the Weather Underground site not working?..or didn’t you connect your BloomSky to WU?

Seems like this link (replace WU_USERNAME with your Weather Underground username) should work (for your first cam, in cases where you have more than one connected to your WU account)…
https://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/b/u/WU-USERNAME/1/current.jpg

I do have it connected to WU, but I just get a page that says access denied from that link with my username.

EDIT: I figured out that the b/u/ part of the link has to change as well. its different for different cameras. eg, mine is:
https://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/r/a/rabidfurball/1/current.jpg

However, now that I have that working as well, I’m finding WU seems to get congested and does not update for long periods at a time - right now it’s been 50 minutes - while the twitter method seems to be more consistent with a new image every 3-5 min, so for now I’ll stick with that.

Well, so far my station (Cyclops) just survived a minor hail storm. That was nice since it knocked off and cleaned up some bird droppings on the solar panels, :grin:

2 Likes

I skipped the bucket mounting idea and just used yours. It was easier, no need to get gravel :slight_smile: I will post a pic of before and after, the temps look more consistent with the other stations in the area.

Edit: Pics

1 Like

Anyone else’s station stopped reporting?

Mine is stuck at full dark saying 3200+ Lux.

Here is a zwave weather station, just announced at MWC in Barcelona. It is made in Slovenia, and operates at 433 Mhz, so I am presuming it won’t work in the US (yet…?)

http://qubino.com/products/weather-station/

I can’t tell if I should post this here to ask how to fix this, or in the SmartTiles discussion.

Anyone know which is the culprit?

Would be nice though, if I could just plug my BloomSky into my electrical main and run my house off it!

19 posts were split to a new topic: Google OnHub 2.4/5GHz Discussion

I agree, get rid of that POS. When they released it with such a limited feature set, it was a red flag that it would suck. Having 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands with the same SSID is NEVER good for consumer use. First off, most consumer routers stink at roaming between them. Second, it just confuses the user, never know what band a device is on.

If you have a dual band router, setup 2 SSID’s, any device that sees the 5Ghz band, join ONLY to that network, everything else will go to 2.4Ghz. That’s the easiest way to keep them separate and troubleshooting becomes MUCH easier.

1 Like

Does anyone know what this means? It is a notification I get on my iphone.

The notification is from Smartthings, but is it from the bloomsky connect App?

Does it mean my battery is charged 100%?

This is a measurement of the batteries power in mV, not its % of total power. It is the amount of power the solar panels have stored at the moment of the reading, in milli-volts. IMHO.

Think of it as a cell phone battery that has a maximum storage of 3,000 mA at 66% would have a power measurement of 2,000 mA.

Hmm,
why do I get this message at 1:36 pm every day? Is this configurable?
and why is it telling me that it is above 100? is this configurable?