Bloomsky Weather Station

In network options, scroll through the apps and find the IF app, select it and you can restrict it from using mobile networks. I just tried it and it works great. Of course if you have other IF recipes that require mobile network from your android to run, they will be restricted to wifi as well.

Mine is pretty consistent at 10 minute updates. Sometimes there won’t be one for 30 minutes or so, but it’s probably 85% accurate.

Maybe it’s worth removing and re-adding it to see if that clears things up? I’ve had some issues where I ended up doing that twice and things are working far smoother now.

1 Like

I’m still having the same issue (or, at least, I was the last time I was able to check).

My SmartThings isn’t happy at the moment (LINK to THREAD).

So, I can’t check right now I guess lol but I assume it’s still in the same state as it has been in for days (updating BloomSky and WU, but not ST)…

@jcommisso
If you’re talking about Live Logging in the IDE, you can narrow it down to just the item you’re interested in monitoring.
When you see the one you want show up in the list on top, click it, and then the page will only show entries from that one. Then, if desired, you can click ‘All’ on far left to see them all once again.

1 Like

I was talking about the Activity Feed menu in the app. But thanks for trying! :grin:

1 Like

I’m thinking about getting the Bloomsky, but could you set it up where if a window is open and it starts raining, you’ll receive an alert through SmartThings? Not sure what’s configurable with this weather station.

Yes. It acts as a water sensor so you can use Rule Machine and have it set if a contact sensor is open and Bloomsky is wet send me an alert

1 Like

Got my free-standing mount mostly completed yesterday. Because I live under HOA rules, I am limited in my options. I thought of using a Home Depot bucket filled with concrete and a 4X4. I thought I needed to make it as visually appealing as possible, and that just wouldn’t work out. I thought it also wouldn’t be stable enough. I ended up using a concrete pier block and a 4X4 cut down to 5’. The top of the post is 70". I’m very happy with the overall appearance and stability.

I still need to: paint the post and block the same gray as the solar panel mount, and fasten the mount to the post with screws. I used zipties temporarily to make sure the camera grab was acceptable. My 2/24 time-lapse is the original placement on the deck. The 2/25 time-lapse is the first day with my guesstimate on post positioning and camera angle.

Overall I’m satisified with the $20 in materials I’ve spent so far.

5 Likes

[quote=“SDKevdog, post:1083, topic:38202, full:true”]
Got my free-standing mount mostly completed yesterday…[/quote]

Awesome!
Now, THAT is more like it.

I hadn’t even considered the color-matching paint, etc. Really slick. Can’t wait to see the final.

Have you tested it (with/without solar panels below the main unit) to see how much the solar panels may be effecting the BS’s temp readings?

Based on the conversations we’ve had around here about that issue so far, I’m almost thinking of doing exactly what you did, but mount the BS below the panels, so that heat rising won’t be an issue.

I’m only a week into this whole experience. I don’t think solar is going to work for me though. Currently I NEVER get any direct sun. I will probably have to direct charge it every few weeks.

More than anything I wish a deck/post mount with a twist adapter were available. That way I could mount the Bloom to the very top of the post AND lower the panels. Sometimes I really wish I had the skills and equipment to do 3D printing. Bet the part would be easy to create.

If HOA allows planters, just sink the entire thing into a patio planter with some flowers.

2 Likes

Or camouflage it like a tree … just like some cell towers :evergreen_tree: :wink:

1 Like

Received this email today! They haven’t shipped my unit since Feb 12,2016

Hi Community Outreach Program Participants -

Our records show that it’s past 7 days since you received your station.
This is a reminder to activate your BloomSky Station, per the terms of the Community Outreach Participation Agreement. We will give you an extension until Monday 3/7/16 to activate.

If you need any assistance, please check our (new!) support forum at www.bloomsky.com/support.

If you believe you received this email in error and your station is active, awesome! Just let us know.

We’re very excited to add your view to our map!

Thank you,
Amie & The BloomSky Team

I’d contact them. probably just an automated email

/[quote=“hondohudson, post:1088, topic:38202”]
Received this email today!
[/quote]

1 Like

Me too …

Amie from Bloomsky posted on the Bloomsky Facebook group that it went out in error. Nothing to worry about from what I understand, but still probably a good idea to reply and let her/them know if you do have it up and installed.

1 Like

Got the same email last night. I replied to Amie to remind them that I don’t have a unit yet. It would have been nice if they sent an email saying they were delayed in shipping the next batch out instead of having to dig through forums to figure that out myself.

I received this email as well. I replied with my Station Id and explained that I have had this up-and-running since 02/16. They sent back a link to a form, which I filled out, and assurances that I would be considered “in compliance” with the Outreach Program and not billed for the device.

1 Like

I was in the group approved on February 11th and hadn’t gotten any info on my order.

Just got this email:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for contacting BloomSky. Due to the massive success of the Community Outreach Program we have run low on inventory and we are waiting for our next shipment. We project that this will take 4-6 weeks to get (as of February 20th). This will not affect your agreement to set up the device within 7 days. We ask for your patience as we will ship your order out to you as soon as we get it.

1 Like

Anybody had issues where their station went offline and cant reconnect? Mine went down about 4 days ago and cant reconnect. Forums for the site say a bunch of people had issues, but Bloomsky is radio silent now. Wont answer emails or phone.

I know this is probably obvious and I assume you’ve probably already gone down this road, but I figured I’d check on the low-hanging fruit first…

First off, I am assuming that the ‘not working’ state is new since a time when it was working in the same location with no other changes made to the system (i.e. to the BloomSky unit, the WiFi network, or anything else related). If that’s correct…

Have you checked the WiFi signal strength with a WiFi analysis app on your phone yet?
There are so many things that can be involved. I have a few different ones, but my favorite so far is the one from Netgear. You should be able to find it easily in the Google Play Store (no idea about iOS, but they must have them too).

WiFi signal range
Is the BloomSky unit within the effective range of the relevant WiFi router/AP/extender?

WiFi signal strength
Is the strength of the WiFi signal of the SSID that the BloomSky unit is connected to sufficient for good communications?

WiFi channel
Have you looked in the analysis app to see what channels all of your neighbors’ WiFi networks are on so that you can configure your WiFi router/AP/extender appropriately (i.e. to the degree possible, only put your WiFi networks on unused channels, or at least on the least used channels)?

RF interference
Is there anything (whether it’s another WiFi device, or other RF device) near enough to the BloomSky unit (or between it and the WiFi source; like thick walls, or large metal objects) that could be hindering its ability to communicate effectively with the router/AP/extender?