Bloomsky Weather Station

Located in chilly NJ. It was like 70 last month. LOL

Mine failed to configure the first two times that I tried it this morning, but I did a hard reset by first turning it on, then holding the wifi button down for 8(+) seconds. After that it configured w/o problem.

Didn’t have time for a proper mounting on the roof, so I just stuck it in the front yard to see what I’d get. Search for a device named “BloomSky - RDM” in that app and you’ll see it. Will be experimenting with more secure locations this weekend, so the view may change. Definitely want to keep the palms and get some of the redwoods in, too, though. I think part of the fun of this thing is having an interesting sky view.

Tim (@slagle), thanks so much for the device handler and the app. Works a treat! :smile:

1 Like

It won’t matter which way you face this thing as long as your solar panels are facing south to get the most sun exposure. I haven’t installed the panel yet so I don’t know how adjustable it is.

Updated device:

• Added device background for UV to match health.gov color scheme
  • Changed UI
  • Changed unit on battery to mV (this must be in mV im thinking…)
  • the raw lux value is now divided by 100 to make it somewhat more manageable. (without knowing what the raw value means I cannot guarantee accuracy.)

8 Likes

In the App you can turn off “Public”, which presumably would prevent the device from showing up on the map. But they don’t want you to do that, of course, as it doesn’t serve the purpose of promoting the product.

That’s why the agreement you signed when you agreed to take one for free says that you have to keep it public for six months. Not sure what I’ll do after six months. My only real concern is that the thing might get stolen, but if it’s on the roof that’s unlikely.

5 Likes

well as long as they take it and put it back online until the end of your 6 months at least you wouldnt have to pay for it haha

The turn-around on this has been excellent. Thanks.
I am envious of the temperature. It is now 8 degrees where I am right now :(.

2 Likes

This looks awesome! Now I just gotta get my device so I can join in on the fun.

One thought would be to add a raindrop icon or the word “humidity” to the tile. Assuming the 51% is humidity.

Keep in mind this is not “official” (not to say that won’t ever be true). I am just a customer making use of our open platform and sharing my open source code :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Not sure if it’s an android thing but my phone is displaying a bunch of decimal places on the temp , and also the pressure portion. Brightness info looks to be correct, was showing 397171 Lux before, now only 7903

Great job though

Edit: I recopy and pasted the newest code and the humidity with %% disappeared, not sure what happened there… but any way to round up on the decimal points?

From the Bloomsky API Documentation V1.3 (2/2016):

Units (unit=intl) :
RegisterTime: unix timestamp,
“ImageTS”: the image’s timestamp,
“Pressure”: mbar,
“Luminance”: cd/m2,
“Temperature”: Celsius,
“Night”: boolean,
“Voltage”: mv,
“UVIndex”: index (1 - 11+),
“TS”: unix timestamp,
“Rain”: boolean,
“Humidity”: %,
“VideoList”: temperature unit is in Celsius

Units (default):
RegisterTime: unix timestamp,
“ImageTS”: the image’s timestamp,
“Pressure”: inHg,
“Luminance”: cd/m2,
“Temperature”: Fahrenheit,
“Night”: boolean,
“Voltage”: mv,
“UVIndex”: index (1 - 11+)
TS: unix timestamp,
“Rain”: boolean,
“Humidity”: %,
“VideoList”: temperature unit is in Fahrenheit

So Voltage is indeed millivolt.

http://weatherlution.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/BloomskyDeviceOwnerAPIDocumentation020216.pdf

2 Likes

Nice!

I see this now but completely missed it! lol… I can do all the proper conversations now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In case anyone hasn’t applied, I just check the bloomsky website and their application for a free station is now ending on 2/17. Since I haven’t gotten an approval yet, I’m hoping that is a good sign, they must want more people to have them.

2 Likes

Sweet! Would you be able to add another device type for the Indoor station as well? I would be able to test it next week when mine arrives if needed.

1 Like

Look who’s back among us:

Welcome back!

3 Likes

I also have the indoor module, if you need something to test with.

@tslagle13 Count you add a version number to the code? With the rapid releases, it’d be helpful to track where I am, and where you’re at

1 Like

Ding-Dong! (sometimes I just love that sound)…mine has arrived. :slight_smile:
Wow! It’s a pretty heavy box.

The solar panel and bracket are pretty heavy, yeah.

Jimxenus,
The camera on the bloomsky can be moved up and down. The whole dome pivots like an eyelid. I turned mine down some so it would have the horizion in it.
https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnZSmmpyo

My only thing is it seems to be reading really hot so I need to go out with an old fashioned thermometer and check to make sure where I have it mounted on roof is not skewing results vs ambient elsewhere.

1 Like