Bloomsky Weather Station

Coincidence on the date. They did extend the deadli e. Follow the link I posted to their community page and you will see the new deadline.

1 Like

Move the dang thing to the neighbors house…

2 Likes

Found a belkin 2.4 wireless g plus router will that do the trick? Plug it and that’s all? Do i have to change any settings?

1 Like

Genius rldreams f’in genius. Messaging you from public belkin I found in a closet covered in dust!

1 Like

PM sent ( 20 characters )

I have 3 routers ( 5 separate wifi networks) in my house. Yes I set them all on different channels to reduce interference. 1 router is used solely for IP cameras and CCTV DVR

2 Likes

Any idea how I can make sure that this one is on a different channel?

Quick question. Regarding Slagle’s post (#152), there was two boxes of code. The first is for the Bloomsky Scheduler and the other seems to pull in various sources of info and has since been updated. I’m just curious how I go about creating/adding these codes/apps in my graph.api smartthings page. Are they both new apps that I need to create and add the code to, or does one of them create a new device?

I’m just not sure where to go about adding the different codes into the graph.api webpage.

Kudos to Slagle for creating the code that seems to be working out quite well for people. Can’t wait to get mine up and running!

I was able to put the URL in a SmartTiles and it shows up just fine. I don’t know how it will refresh since it’s night and no activity. It looks pretty cool.

Update: Apparently, this is a static link so it does not refresh. If I refresh the page source, it ends up generating a new link for the new image.

2 Likes

It’s pretty dark outside but I’m still seeing over 5000 lux value. I’m running the latest version .5 of the device handler. Anyone else seeing something like this too? I’m not sure what the lower end of this should be.

Was thinking about illuminance reporting too. If it turns out that is actually reliable, I could care less if ST ever fixes the sun state scheduler :slightly_smiling:. The only reason I am not using my Aeon Labs sensors is because I am too damn lazy to change the batteries, so often the lux level stays at 0. Not as often as the sunset schedule bombs. With BloomSky on solar…no batteries to change. Now that would be just awesome! Tim @slagle ?

4 Likes

Gotcha. Hmm, maybe I will apply for one for my parents…

1 install WiFi Analyzer on your phone or tablet and see what WiFi signals you have in your area, what channels they are on.
2 Go into the settings of your router and change the broadcast channel from auto to one of the channels with little to no other signals on it .
If you have 2 different routers in close proximity both on say channel 2 they will cause constant signal drops and interference. Most 2.4G routers default to channel 1/2 and 10/11 . Hence mine are on channels 4 and 8 So they do not interfere with each other or the neighbors.

You can use the current illuminance to report on lux :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Cannot wait to get my hands on this weather beast. Your device type looks really good! Thank you…

2 Likes

Hello, can someone explain at a high level why there is a wifi security concern with the bloom sky?

The bloom sky connects with a wifi password correct?

So whether my router is talking to a device in my house or the bloom sky in the yard what is the difference?

Thanks

I am pretty sure that at least one of the concerns is that the weather station itself is a device that talks to, and potentially takes orders from the BloomSky mothership organization, without the network owner’s oversight or awareness.

3 Likes

Hmmm that is a good point. I will think on that.

Well, on the one hand I have no control over software in the bloom sky, unlike say my laptop.

But on the other hand many of us have other devices that we also do not have control over, aside from things like Tivo, Roku…

How about the smart things hub. I have no control over that device?

2 Likes

Nice, I too was approved yesterday. Looking forward to playing with this some more.

I have my Smartthings hub isolated as well. I recommend anything that takes orders from someone other than me be done that way.